Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Inner rambling.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silfy_Steller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:37 pm
So, I have met a delima.
It's about meditation, I want to meditate, but having a very logical scientific viewpoint, I over analyze it.

Idk What I should be doing. When I meditate should I focus and keep a clear mind[harder than it looks]? Should I concentrate on the subject I'm meditating about? Or should I just let my mind wander and give it no restraint.

asically what I do is focus on keeping my mind clear but it doesn't seem to work... then the idea maybe i should let my mind wander to whatever it wants without me actually steering it... Sort of like before you fall asleep your thoughts just turn to mush and are basically unnavigable.

Any advice?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:18 am
You're over-thinking it. I used to do the same thing.

Whether you choose to try to clear your mind or to focus on one thing (perhaps a visualisation), extra thoughts will creep in. When you start out it's like you're in a messy attic. Things are all over the place and there are heaps of cobwebs. Over time the cobwebs - the random thoughts that pop up - get cleaned up and swept away, and your mind becomes more focused and ordered.

You may want to start with breath-counting. Inhale for the count of four, hold for four, exhale for four. When a stray thought pops up, don't worry about it. When you start out the instinct is to think "damnit!" and try to squash it, and you end up sort of blaming yourself for it. But right now you're trying to relax. So don't worry about it. It's no failure or anything. Just keep going and let it float away, like a cloud across the sky. Send it moving on. Do the same with the next thought. In time they will be less common.

But it's not letting it wander, as such. It's more like the thoughts wander in, and you gently send them on their way and bring your mind back on course. But like I say, really, don't make it more than it is. These things take time. And try not to focus on keeping your mind clear, because that tends to be a sort of "oh good, my mind is clear - damn it!" sort of thing for some people. Focus on your breath, or on an object in front of you, or on music that's playing, or on your muscles relaxing.... the thinking-of-nothing will take care of itself in time.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 am
Here is a site with some guided meditations, it might help you get a feel for it. This one has some useful tips and info as well.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 am
Thanks. I found both those sites very helpful.  

Silfy_Steller

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games