Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Favorite Games?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:16 am
I'd compiled a list of my top eleven video games ever played in life for no particular reason, and thought I'd share it. Chances are none of you have made similar lists, but maybe you can come up with them now? A lot can be said about games we "like" and think are "good" but considering my gaming career of around 13 years, a favorite really means I think it's amazing. What games do you all think are amazing?

Metroid Prime - For the time, it had great graphics and a perfectly classic Metroid style but in 3D for the first time. And it still holds up great. Huge world to explore, an epic adventure, and you can play it over and over without loosing its fun.

Metal Gear Solid TTS - Over-the-top technological feats, robot ninjas, tactical espionage action. It's not so much the gameplay itself that makes this a favorite, but the overall cinematic awesomeness.

Super Mario RPG - My first RPG ever, played when I was about six years old. I've beaten it or nearly beaten it maybe a dozen times since then, and still started a new file yesterday. I'm not a big Mario fan in general, but the cool locales, new characters, and endlessly catchy musical score really bring it over the top.

Final Fantasy X - I was never really allowed to get into 7. But to me, 10 has all the stuff people rave about 7 for.

Zelda: Majora's Mask - No, not Ocarina of Time. I have better memories playing Ocarina of Time, but I believe Majora's Mask is actually a superior game. Better dungeons, cool bosses, and an epic ending.

No More Heroes - Like a parody of the anime/gamer/Japanophile sect and a celebration of it at the same time. Takes numerous stabs at American entertainment (pretty much all the bosses represent this or act as symbols for a different element of it (and this is a good thing)) but at the same time, takes the gamer into their own world and reminds them why they think it kicks a**.

Fallout 3 - I've already made a topic about this. Big, open world. Lots of guns. Good story. Good graphics. Classy soundtrack. You all know it.

Kirby Super Star - Yeah, I'm a Kirby fan. Have been for years. KSS was a Super NES title with 8 small Kirby games in one, and has been redone with a few new modes and updated graphics for the DS as Kirby Super Star Ultra. Totally fun sidescrolling platformer with co-op.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Same as TTS, generally. I love the Cold War espionage thriller thing going for it as much as the sneaking action and the over-the-top bosses, though they can be put together in odd ways sometimes. And the sniper boss battle is truly memorable.

Silent Hill 2 - I can't help but think of this as some kind of book in video game form. There's actual symbolism and imagery used to tell a deeper story than is on the surface. The graphics suck, but they still work. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. It's also really creepy. It's on the PS2, which everyone has, and it can be had used for about $5, so you owe it to yourself to at least try out.

COD: Modern Warfare 2 - I think we've said plenty on this. I'm not even putting it on the list for the multiplayer (5+ days on that, and going!) but the action-packed and epic singleplayer.

Some games you may have expected on here but I don't have, maybe Bayonetta. And although it features spectacular and sexy shooting kicking slashing action and ridiculous Bayonetta-involved hotness that makes me positively giddy, it ALSO put in one ******** level near the end (I guess?) in which the game throws something like five waves of enemies at you and forces you to defeat them only with "Wicked Weave" attacks. The ones in which Bayonetta summons large mock-ups of her arms or legs with hair to deliver powerful strikes to enemies. These are done automatically following combos. But the enemies have force fields that, when struck, knock you out of combo. So you must stay well back from enemies that can surround you and do combos into empty air just to use a Wicked Weave and strike one or more of them. Keep in mind there are about five enemies in a small area at once, that there's a time limit, that they're still attacking you and moving around, and that if you get hit five times, you lose.

burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes

So ******** you game designers! There's hard (the boss Shinobu in No More Heroes, or Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime) and then there's downright infuriating. Feel free to share your infuriating game moments.

Resident Evil 4 is also great, and I've beaten it countless times. But I also kind of got sick of it from that playing. And I don't know what to think about that. On one hand I played a game so much that I got sick of it, which meant I liked it a lot. On the other hand, I did get sick of it, so...

I used to have Half Life 2 on the list, but although I think it's a good, long shooting adventure, I couldn't think of anything from it that made it absolutely special to me.

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:59 am
Borderlands and both mass effects. Borderlands is more fallout than fallout 3, and mass effect is just awesome  

Tier One OPERATOR

OO23OO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:00 am
Silent Hill- The one that started it all. It left me wanting more and more, and left me dumbfounded. It's the only game in the series I have beaten five times to get all of the endings.

Silent Hill 2- Wow. They took the first game and cleaned it up a lot. Visually, that is. I loved looking at this game when it first came out. The monsters looked so slimy and real, the story was so deep and the symbolism was nuts.

Golden Axe- Need I say more?

Fallout 3- See above.

Dead Space- Action-horror in a spaceship fighting alien-infected humans with tools and you get to wear a bad a** suit of futuristic body armour? I'm in.

Those are my top five in no real order.

The following are mini-rants.

Now, when it comes to Resident Evil 4, I got to the part with the two female chainsaw ganados and said '******** it'. I hate chainsaws more than anything on Earth. I don't wanna deal with two of them at once. I did feel that the controls and camera angle were just about perfect ******** Silent Hill 5. I hated that game so GD much, I'm shocked I haven't thought about making it face the Nagant.

That's all I have to say about video games. I'm not really into a lot of games, I just like to pick a series or two and play the Hell out of it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:23 am
I guess my top 10 in no particular order are:

1. Super Mario Bros.
2. Pokemon Fire Red (hey, it was cool at the time!)
3. Command & Conquer
4. Guitar Hero (no particular one)
5. Madworld (I just never get tired of it for some reason)
6. Wii sports
7. Mario is Missing
8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
9. Star Fox 64
10. COD World at War

@002300 - If you hate chainsaws, never play Madworld. Everything is a chainsaw. Bloody, bloody chainsaws  

Man of the Demoneye

Shrantic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 pm
ArmasTermin

Metroid Prime - For the time, it had great graphics and a perfectly classic Metroid style but in 3D for the first time. And it still holds up great. Huge world to explore, an epic adventure, and you can play it over and over without loosing its fun.
Hated it. Story was half-baked, you had to take it upon yourself to find it, and the controls were a**.
Quote:

Metal Gear Solid TTS - Over-the-top technological feats, robot ninjas, tactical espionage action. It's not so much the gameplay itself that makes this a favorite, but the overall cinematic awesomeness.
Haven't played it, but MGS 3 was epic.
Quote:

Super Mario RPG - My first RPG ever, played when I was about six years old. I've beaten it or nearly beaten it maybe a dozen times since then, and still started a new file yesterday. I'm not a big Mario fan in general, but the cool locales, new characters, and endlessly catchy musical score really bring it over the top.
Also really really cool.
Quote:

Final Fantasy X - I was never really allowed to get into 7. But to me, 10 has all the stuff people rave about 7 for.
Story sucked, graphics were unoriginal, characters were two dimensional, and that one summoner girl looked like a tranny.
Quote:

Zelda: Majora's Mask - No, not Ocarina of Time. I have better memories playing Ocarina of Time, but I believe Majora's Mask is actually a superior game. Better dungeons, cool bosses, and an epic ending.
YES.
Quote:

No More Heroes - Like a parody of the anime/gamer/Japanophile sect and a celebration of it at the same time. Takes numerous stabs at American entertainment (pretty much all the bosses represent this or act as symbols for a different element of it (and this is a good thing)) but at the same time, takes the gamer into their own world and reminds them why they think it kicks a**.
Haven't played it.
Quote:

Fallout 3 - I've already made a topic about this. Big, open world. Lots of guns. Good story. Good graphics. Classy soundtrack. You all know it.
Graphics were boring, shooter aspect was lacking, and the story had already been done to death.
Quote:

Kirby Super Star - Yeah, I'm a Kirby fan. Have been for years. KSS was a Super NES title with 8 small Kirby games in one, and has been redone with a few new modes and updated graphics for the DS as Kirby Super Star Ultra. Totally fun sidescrolling platformer with co-op.
YES.
Quote:

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Same as TTS, generally. I love the Cold War espionage thriller thing going for it as much as the sneaking action and the over-the-top bosses, though they can be put together in odd ways sometimes. And the sniper boss battle is truly memorable.
Sniper boss battle? O_o;

You mean the End? I shot him right after a cutscene when he was in a wheelchair. >.>
Quote:

Silent Hill 2 - I can't help but think of this as some kind of book in video game form. There's actual symbolism and imagery used to tell a deeper story than is on the surface. The graphics suck, but they still work. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. It's also really creepy. It's on the PS2, which everyone has, and it can be had used for about $5, so you owe it to yourself to at least try out.
Never played it.
Quote:

COD: Modern Warfare 2 - I think we've said plenty on this. I'm not even putting it on the list for the multiplayer (5+ days on that, and going!) but the action-packed and epic singleplayer.
Sucked. Ammunition between the M16A4 and M4A1 wasn't interchangeable, the M14 only had a 10 round magazine, the story was full of plotholes, and I ******** hated getting blood on my eyes.
Quote:

Resident Evil 4 is also great, and I've beaten it countless times. But I also kind of got sick of it from that playing. And I don't know what to think about that. On one hand I played a game so much that I got sick of it, which meant I liked it a lot. On the other hand, I did get sick of it, so...
Damn, now I need to go play it again! D:
Quote:

Discuss.
You forgot Portal and Mirror's Edge.

For shame. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:44 pm
The classic Perfect Dark and Goldeneye
Modern Warfare 2
Super Mario 64
Kirby's Dream Course
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction are going to be amazing when they are out. I'm also going to get one of the remakes of Pokemon Gold and Silver that will be out for the DS in March.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:33 pm
@Shrantic

None of the Metroids are really story-involved. It's all about exploration and adventure. And if you didn't like the controls, that's understandable. But try it on the Wii if you get the chance. Great improvement on controls.

I don't really see what you mean by the graphics in Final Fantasy X being "unoriginal".

You can shoot him in the wheelchair. If you don't, later on you have a massive sniper duel with him in three big sections of woods. It can easily take several hours if you do it without cheating. Though I usually use the code that puts his location on the map because I'm impatient.

The M14 in MW2 was a sniper modification, so the 10-round magazine isn't impossible. One would want a flatter-sitting mag in a gun used for sniping for easier use when prone.

Portal is fun an inventive, but super short and there's not much to do when you think about it. Never played Mirror's Edge.

@Demoneye

If you've got a Wii you owe it to yourself to try out No More Heroes if you haven't already. I recommend that to every Wii-owner I know, and there are few of those.

@Survivor

I've almost bought Mass Effect two or three times, but it never ends up happening. Now that I've found out NMH2 is out, I've got to get it next, after I beat the first one again.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 am
ArmasTermin
@Shrantic

None of the Metroids are really story-involved. It's all about exploration and adventure. And if you didn't like the controls, that's understandable. But try it on the Wii if you get the chance. Great improvement on controls.

I don't really see what you mean by the graphics in Final Fantasy X being "unoriginal".

You can shoot him in the wheelchair. If you don't, later on you have a massive sniper duel with him in three big sections of woods. It can easily take several hours if you do it without cheating. Though I usually use the code that puts his location on the map because I'm impatient.

The M14 in MW2 was a sniper modification, so the 10-round magazine isn't impossible. One would want a flatter-sitting mag in a gun used for sniping for easier use when prone.

Portal is fun an inventive, but super short and there's not much to do when you think about it. Never played Mirror's Edge.

@Demoneye

If you've got a Wii you owe it to yourself to try out No More Heroes if you haven't already. I recommend that to every Wii-owner I know, and there are few of those.

@Survivor

I've almost bought Mass Effect two or three times, but it never ends up happening. Now that I've found out NMH2 is out, I've got to get it next, after I beat the first one again.

I saw No More Heroes at Gamestop last time I was there, Next time I go there, I'll probably get a used copy. You aren't the first to reccommend that game.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:01 am
Man of the Demoneye
ArmasTermin
@Shrantic

@Demoneye

@Survivor

I saw No More Heroes at Gamestop last time I was there, Next time I go there, I'll probably get a used copy. You aren't the first to reccommend that game.
NMH and SSB: Brawl are the only two games for Wii I have any want for. And I'd only play NMH with the wiimote. Brawl really needs the GameCube controller.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:13 am
I just played No More Heroes. Game is ******** EPIC. When I beat it, I will probably look into NMH2. The dual fluorescent lights beam katanas looks awesome.  

Man of the Demoneye

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:29 pm
Man of the Demoneye
I just played No More Heroes. Game is ******** EPIC. When I beat it, I will probably look into NMH2. The dual fluorescent lights beam katanas looks awesome.

Yep. I'm just before the Rank 5 battle. Where are you? (No spoilers, for people who haven't played yet.)  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 pm
Well heres my top 10

1. Need for Speed Most Wanted--IMO the best Need For Speed Game
2. Dead Space--Not really scary but interesting storyline
3. Wings Over Europe--Decent flight sim, Easy to get into and a good variety of planes
4. Modern Warfare 2
5. Fallout 3--One of my all time favorites so much to do and a lot of choices.
6. Knights of the Old Republic 1&2--Loved the storyline and the plot, loved how every choice made effected the story
7. Mercenaries 2--had some problems but hey who doesn't love leveling a street with a carpet bombing
8. Assassins Creed--Loved the open gameplay, and the exploration
9. Operation Flashpoint-- Dated but still fun, good scale of realism, mainly fun for the mission editor
10. Microsoft Flight Sim X--Good missions, great planes, and just fun to relax with  

Shadow Deadeye

Solo The FireLion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:02 am
OO23OO
Now, when it comes to Resident Evil 4, I got to the part with the two female chainsaw ganados and said '******** it'. I hate chainsaws more than anything on Earth. I don't wanna deal with two of them at once. I did feel that the controls and camera angle were just about perfect however.
Shotgun and Grenades. You move to an area where you can bottleneck them, knock them down with the Shotgun, and then chuck Grenades at them. Once out of Grenades, just use the Shotgun.

Or line them up with a Rocket Launcher, if you've got the money and inventory space.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:31 am
Shadow Deadeye
1. Need for Speed Most Wanted--IMO the best Need For Speed Game
I kind of want to try Undercover, but Most Wanted was ******** epic. Sometimes it was a b***h, like in the last mission where you have to beat the heat SIX cops in that ******** BMW... I want my ******** Viper back.

Cherry red Viper, dual white racing stripes, low-pro spoiler, and dark black tint in the windows. Keep it simple, keep it sleek. Once I had that b***h tricked out, I was smoking the HELICOPTER. I once evaded the cops with three flat tires!  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas