Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Variola Major

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:21 pm
uryu ishida
Variola Major
uryu ishida
Thdark
Sounds to me like he's a Law Abiding Australian citizen that believes law abiding and responsible gun owners should own any damn gun they want. He even said it.

Are you a bit steamy because he said he didn't mind the laws they have over there? They have no RIGHT to own guns, and he sounds happy to be PRIVILEGED to own them at all.

Unless there's a sub-text secret message going on I didn't notice, this sounds like an alright guy.
And how are your feelings on those Kiwi's in New Zealand Uryu? You ever see this guy? http://www.youtube.com/user/kiwitedferny
If you'll notice, I have a lot added onto my original comment, including the contesting quotations from him, and in a followup response to Variola (Teetonka? Damnit, stop changing your name!) stated that I gave him the benefit of the doubt as having been misrepresented in the interview. He was more than willing to answer to email inquiries to straighten out the misunderstanding, rather than just avoiding it.
If you'll also notice, I didn't just "erase the evidence" of my post, instead adding onto my comment and at least somewhat correcting myself.

As to the Kiwi you linked, he's.... Interesting, to say the least. A millionaire collector, who wore a batman mask for half of his youtube career after someone posted his name and address (resulting in him nuking his first account because it was in the comments of ALL the videos). Isn't allowed to SHOOT any of his Restricted weapons, and doing so and posting it on youtube got him turned down from joining the police, and he got a warning from them.
research on NZ gun laws shows "they are more liberal than other Pacific countries", but are still pretty damn tight about it.
To get your first permit, you have to undergo a class, interview, and they have to interview two references, one related, one not.
The permit only covers "Class A", which is weapons over 30 inches, are not "military style", do not have magazines that even LOOK like they can hold more than 15 rounds of .22 or 7 rounds of anything else, et cetera. PEPPER SPRAY is considered a Restricted Weapon which requires a special endorsement, and registration of the ********' PEPPER SPRAY, in addition to the license.
Anything shorter than 30 inches, has any military features, or is in the Restricted Weapons category requires registration, and ANOTHER permit (Permit to Procure), as well as gaining special endorsements on your original permit.
The endorsements are as follows, in Quote tags under their names.

B Endorsement--Sporting Pistols
* Applicant must be a current member of a pistol club, a financial member of Pistol New Zealand and have attended at least 12 club shoots in the last 6 months before they can apply
* Applicant must be sponsored by their club
* The endorsement holder must attend at least 12 club shoots in a financial year
* Normally limited to no more than 12 pistols registered to their licence
* Pistols must be of an approved sporting type i.e. barrel length of more than 10 cm (3.9 in)
* Pistols can only be carried to and from the range in a locked container with ammunition in a separate container or to a gunsmith
* Pistols may only be shot on a Police approved pistol club range.

C Endorsement--Restricted Weapons
This is a catch all, if the firearm does not fall into the A B or E categories it's a C class. Pistols can also be held on the C endorsement instead of the B. Common special reasons include:

* Collecting (must provide evidence in the form of books, club membership, collection of A type firearms), Museum curator, Family heirlooms and Theatrical.
* C category firearms must be stored in an inoperable condition
* Can never be used with live ammunition, but blanks are allowed for movie making and re-enacting
* Can only be taken to an approved display venue, re-enactment event or to an other collector for sale.

D Endorsement--Dealer License
For those that make an income from firearms. To sell restricted weapons the dealer also needs to have the appropriate endorsements.

* Renewed annually
* Further security requirements
* Must maintain a book of firearm purchases and sales.

URYU: It's like an FFL for us, except they need an ownership license first.

E Endorsement--Military Style Semi-automatics
New class of restricted weapon that was created after the Aramoana tragedy. At the time anyone with an M.S.S.A that wanted to keep it in that configuration was given a E endorsement (after going through the vetting and extra security requirements). But presently few are issued. Common reasons for wanting an E endorsement are professional pest destruction, collecting, 3-gun and service rifle shooting. Those people that did not want the extra hassle and expense of the endorsement converted their rifles into 'A' configuration by removing the components that made it an 'E'.

MSSA features:
* A folding or telescopic butt
* A bayonet lug
* A free-standing "military-style" pistol grip
* A flash suppressor
* A magazine that holds (or looks like it could hold) more than 15 rounds of .22 rimfire ammunition or 7 rounds of any other calibre.

F Endorsement--Dealers Staff License
This class allows a person working for a dealer to demonstrate a Pistol, Military Style Semi Automatic or a Collectable weapon without having to have that class of licence. They can demonstrate one but not possess one for personal use. This is not a well known endorsement

EDIT:
Your signature might be a bit big.
I'm trying to find the perfect name, but it's really hard.

eek The massive wall of legalese has fried by brain, and I barely even skimmed it.
It's pretty much " You can have all these cool things, if your family and a friend say you have a good reason, you have JUST the right things in your house, you can never shoot them, and we feel like it."

Oh, and that they class pepper spray with machine guns and rockets.
And I thought Britain was bad.

We should all be like the French. France has pretty liberal gun laws (self defence is perfectly legal, and self defence is considered a legitimate reason to purchase a firearm), and when a shooting occurs, the French tend to blame society and not guns.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:20 pm
I'm pretty sure the US has about the loosest gun laws in the world. Except maybe Africa where everyone walks down the street with an AK-47. But I think that has less to do with "legal" and more to do with "is there anyone around that cares, can stop them, and wants to bother with it"?  

ArmasTermin

Variola Major

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 am
ArmasTermin
I'm pretty sure the US has about the loosest gun laws in the world.
France has a better attitude towards guns, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:40 pm
Variola Major
ArmasTermin
Wat?  

uryu ishida

Variola Major

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:21 pm
uryu ishida
Variola Major
ArmasTermin
Wat?
In France people rarely blame the availability of guns for shootings like in the US. The French tend to put the blame on the person who fired the gun and the society he grew up in. I think the US should have the same attitude.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:24 pm
Variola Major
uryu ishida
Variola Major
ArmasTermin
Wat?
In France people rarely blame the availability of guns for shootings like in the US. The French tend to put the blame on the person who fired the gun and the society he grew up in. I think the US should have the same attitude.
http://www.ssaa.org.au/research/1997/1997-08_french-gun-laws.html

This link is a member of Australia's Shooters Party explaining what's so good about French gun laws and attitudes towards guns. He explains the issue better than I could.  

Variola Major

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:08 pm
Variola Major
uryu ishida
Variola Major
ArmasTermin
Wat?

I'm starting to like the French more and more.

I wish more people in the US would take up that perspective.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff