Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Pawn Stars

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:07 am
I like the show, funny and they sometimes get some cool looking guns coming through.
But the last one made me facepalm.

So this guy comes in with an old double barrel flintlock with a spring loaded bayonet on top and tells the guy he has to sell it because his wife wants him to and they have a baby.

I said 'what a stupid b***h' then thought about the absurdity of a kid managing to load, prime, and fire a muzzle loading gun.

Anyway, he traded it for a guitar worth $4,000 or so.

Then some bonehead came in with a Winchester 1886 45-90, the guy at the shop cleared it and out popped a casing.
Second hurp durp, his father in law gave it to him when he married his daughter, and he told him outright that he was going to sell it.

Just kind of stupid.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:28 pm
I find at least one face palm worthy story in every episode of Pawn Stars. How stupid can someone be to take pennies on the dollar for items worth tens of thousands of dollars? Only in Vegas, baby!

You might try watching Antiques Roadshow as well. The U.S. version tends to have at least a dozen nice guns come around every season. Some fellow walked in with a rare auto cap feed percussion rifle in damn near perfect shape for a pre Civil War rifle. Can't recall what the suggested insurance cost was, but it was a low six figure sum.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:21 pm
Floyd
I find at least one face palm worthy story in every episode of Pawn Stars. How stupid can someone be to take pennies on the dollar for items worth tens of thousands of dollars? Only in Vegas, baby!

You might try watching Antiques Roadshow as well. The U.S. version tends to have at least a dozen nice guns come around every season. Some fellow walked in with a rare auto cap feed percussion rifle in damn near perfect shape for a pre Civil War rifle. Can't recall what the suggested insurance cost was, but it was a low six figure sum.

Yeah, mostly just various Muzzle loaders on Antiques Roadshow, I don't watch it much though.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Yeah, I like that show. Plenty of neat old guns come through.  

ArmasTermin

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:34 am
Did any of you see the keygun (gunkey?) last night? That is definately one of my top strangest. I couldn't really ever think of selling any of my stuff at a pawn shop. It seems like you'd get a hell of a lot more money on e-bay or somewhere else. I would like to go to a pawn shop one day just to see what's there and the prices are negotiable. As for the other people, most of them probably don't know s**t about guns other than what's at wal-mart or in games.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 am
Man of the Demoneye
Did any of you see the keygun (gunkey?) last night? That is definately one of my top strangest. I couldn't really ever think of selling any of my stuff at a pawn shop. It seems like you'd get a hell of a lot more money on e-bay or somewhere else. I would like to go to a pawn shop one day just to see what's there and the prices are negotiable. As for the other people, most of them probably don't know s**t about guns other than what's at wal-mart or in games.

I saw it, pretty cool but hardly ******** works.

They easily give people $300-400 less than what it's worth to make a profit.

That spring loaded double barrel I think was valued at $10,000.
Or maybe that was the Winchester 1886?

Also, hurr durr I forgot about, the guy with the Winchester thought it was worth $200. I can't remember what he got for it though.  

OberFeldwebel

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 am
Floyd

Coolest thing I ever saw on that show was a candle holder that was eather in Hitlers bunker or the Chancellery that a british pilot brought back between his legs in his spitfire.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:31 pm
Floyd
A pawn shop offers two services when it comes to selling your goods. First of all, they give you money for them. Secondly, and this is important, they take it off yours hands right then and there. Going to a pawn shop isn't something you do to make money, it's something you do to get rid of your crap quickly without just throwing it away.  

Mr Savoy

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm
Mr Savoy
Floyd
A pawn shop offers two services when it comes to selling your goods. First of all, they give you money for them. Secondly, and this is important, they take it off yours hands right then and there. Going to a pawn shop isn't something you do to make money, it's something you do to get rid of your crap quickly without just throwing it away.
You forget the main purpose of a pawn shop: short-term loans using anything as collateral.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:20 pm
Fresnel
Mr Savoy
Floyd
You forget the main purpose of a pawn shop: short-term loans using anything as collateral.
In Pawn Stars, most people just sell their stuff. I was referring to those people, not the guys looking for loans.  

Mr Savoy

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff