Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Fallout: New Vegas (Fall 2010)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:08 am
Heres the link the to teaser trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6H2LdUwNDk&feature=player_embedded

discuss while I go to work now! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:16 pm
It uses the FO3 engine, which made me question if I should pre-order it or wait for a GOTY. >_>  

pathetic_negi_magician

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:06 pm
If this one gets a lot of DLC like 3 did, I think I'll just wait for the GOTY edition. Besides, with more Borderlands DLC coming out and the games coming out in the near future, I'll be busy enough without a new Fallout.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:13 pm
well i guess i better be ready to be EEEVVVIIIIL again -.-...cus whats a karma system without EEEVVVIIIIL?  

Niaxus

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:11 pm
Niaxus
well i guess i better be ready to be EEEVVVIIIIL again -.-...cus whats a karma system without EEEVVVIIIIL?

Uhh, probably good is what. Seriously, Fallout 3's karma system was a major flaw, here's to hoping obsidian makes it harder to abuse if they use it at all.

Anyways, for all of the uninformed, here's what's significant about the trailer:

- NCR. The New California republic is pretty much confirmed to be in this game since that's the flag the man at the end is holding. This leads me to believe that either NCR will be trying to gain control of the city, or will be an up and coming group.

- This shows, very importantly, that Obsidian actually knows a couple things about the Fallout history. NCR eventually reaching Nevada makes sense, unlike all of the s**t in Fallout 3.

- The man at the end is wearing standard Ranger garb. Similarities to the enemies of Killzone aside, Tycho, a ranger from Fallout 1 was described as "A man in dusty leather armor wearing a gas mask and a trenchcoat". Again, this shows that Obsidian is doing their research.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:25 pm
nitnit
Niaxus

Uhh, probably good is what. Seriously, Fallout 3's karma system was a major flaw, here's to hoping obsidian makes it harder to abuse if they use it at all.

Anyways, for all of the uninformed, here's what's significant about the trailer:

- NCR. The New California republic is pretty much confirmed to be in this game since that's the flag the man at the end is holding. This leads me to believe that either NCR will be trying to gain control of the city, or will be an up and coming group.

- This shows, very importantly, that Obsidian actually knows a couple things about the Fallout history. NCR eventually reaching Nevada makes sense, unlike all of the s**t in Fallout 3.

- The man at the end is wearing standard Ranger garb. Similarities to the enemies of Killzone aside, Tycho, a ranger from Fallout 1 was described as "A man in dusty leather armor wearing a gas mask and a trenchcoat". Again, this shows that Obsidian is doing their research.

So you're saying that Obsidian taking over is ensuring a return to normalcy?  

pathetic_negi_magician

The Ginger Dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm
pathetic_negi_magician
nitnit
Niaxus

Since obsidian's making it they should put in Darth Nilihus as a secret boss, pretty interesting  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:28 pm
The Ginger Dude
pathetic_negi_magician
nitnit
Niaxus

Since obsidian's making it they should put in Darth Nilihus as a secret boss, pretty interesting

That would be hilarious! rofl  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 pm
pathetic_negi_magician
It uses the FO3 engine, which made me question if I should pre-order it or wait for a GOTY. >_>

GotY for '010 would be Bioshock 2, GoW3, ME2 or Sonic 4.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:01 am
pathetic_negi_magician
nitnit
Niaxus

Not sure. I know that they're pretty much using the same engine as Fallout 3, maybe with a few tweaks here and there. I'm hoping they redo stats for Fallout 3's version of SPECIAL, the thing was just simply broken. Obsidian has a much better track record than Bethesda for dialogue and story, but they are just as notorious for glitches.

As excited as I want to get, I'm not going to until the game is out.  

nitnit
Captain

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm
nitnit

Not sure. I know that they're pretty much using the same engine as Fallout 3, maybe with a few tweaks here and there. I'm hoping they redo stats for Fallout 3's version of SPECIAL, the thing was just simply broken. Obsidian has a much better track record than Bethesda for dialogue and story, but they are just as notorious for glitches.

As excited as I want to get, I'm not going to until the game is out.

I heard some rumors that there's a "hard mode" requirement to sleep and drink, that ammo actually has weight and that stimpacks aren't instant...

>_>  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 pm
Yup, I read the full article. "Hardcore" mode is what it's named, and your character has to drink water, carry a realistic amount of ammo, and takes a realistic amount of damage. Sounds pretty good actually.

Unfortunately this is really just a huge expansion of Fallout 3 more than anything, so it uses the same engine and most of the same character models. Luckily we get new writing/quests, factions that matter, a reputation system similar to Fallout 2's, and Super Mutants with personalities!

Also no sign of the brotherhood of steel or the enclave. Thank god.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 am
I feel that after reading the article about Obsidian putting there best qualities into the game made me happy. Dialogue wont be so terrible hopefully. The fact that they are also putting a reputation system along side the karma system seems pretty cool. Probably harder to get some of the achievements and may require another play through or 2. Hopefully this has better story telling/ending than Fallout 3!

Edit: Are we gonna see another novel review for New Vegas nitnit? lulz  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm
You bet you will.  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:02 am
More previews are out, and more good news is out! Here are the bits I'm liking:

- All writing/humor shown so far is superior
- PSM3 magazine says that overall New Vegas is looking "funnier, brighter, and smarter" than Fallout 3, and says they feel that "Obsidian is more comfortable behind the keyboard than Fallout 3's team"
- Your actions will have a bigger effect on what happens to new vegas
- Nevada wasn't a huge target in the war, so skies are blue, there are some unspoiled houses, there is actually some plant life.
- Command wheel for issuing commands to companions
- Story is more about factions warring and less about your character
- Quoted from one of the lead designers "In New Vegas it's all about the player examining the ideologies of the various groups that are controlling the area and supporting one over the others," "Each of the ideologies will have something good that you can relate to, but will also have massive flaws."
- You can upgrade weapons with modifications (similar to Fallout 2)  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games