Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Do I feel lucky? HELL YES!!! (tons of huge pics)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:15 pm
After kicking the idea around, I finally got the black powder revolver I really wanted. It was pre-loved, but for the price, I would have felt stupid not to get it. I wasn't even planning on getting it, but I just knew I had to as soon as I saw it. It is a model 1858 Remington New Army .44 Buffalo. The gun was manufactured by Pietta for, I assume Cabela's or Bass Pro. It is 18" overall with a 12" rifled barrel. It cost me $90, which I thought was a really good deal considering the good condition it was in. My overall opinion of this gun is that it is muzzle heavy, but I suppose that could be good for controlling recoil. I also love the sights on this thing, but I won't really know for sure until I try it out. Other than that, it is everything I wanted, and I don't have to be paranoid about scratches because it is used. Of course, I made 200% sure that this was in superb condition for shooting and did a detailed check on every piece within reason, to the point of taking the cylinder out and inspecting it with a flashlight for any small cracks. Everything lines up perfectly and the action is butter smooth. Even the sound it makes when cocking is just perfect. It is also comforting to know that I have the local gunshop backing this, just in case. There is one bittersweet thing about this whole ordeal. I spent all my spare cash I saved up on this gun, that now I can't afford the stuff to shoot it. Oh well.

I would just like to thank all the members of the guild who helped me to understand these things in my earlier thread.

Pics as promised:
User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:02 pm
I see no pics.

EDIT: I had to quote your post, see the codes, and then copy/paste the url into the address bar. There be something wrong with you img coding.  

Shrantic

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:29 pm
My grandpa used to have one of those, but he gave all his black powder guns to my uncle.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:56 pm
It has rear sights. Interesting.

From what I've heard, Pietta is hit-and-miss. Pre-owned means pre-screened. It wasn't RMA'd, so you got a hit.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:02 pm
Fresnel
It has rear sights. Interesting.

From what I've heard, Pietta is hit-and-miss. Pre-owned means pre-screened. It wasn't RMA'd, so you got a hit.

Here's hoping that holds true.

@Shrantic - They are showing up just fine on my screen. Maybe gaia and/or photobucket was having issues?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:38 pm
All you need now are the CDs of the movie soundtracks from some early Clint Eastwood westerns. Those will set the mood for using this baby.

http://www.clinteastwood.net/welcome/alt/  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:24 pm
Floyd
All you need now are the CDs of the movie soundtracks from some early Clint Eastwood westerns. Those will set the mood for using this baby.

http://www.clinteastwood.net/welcome/alt/

Yeah, the Pale rider soundtrack would work great since I believe he was using an 1858 in that one.

I still can't get over how freaking big it is and I really can't wait to shoot this thing. DAMN YOU LACK OF CASH! I have to wait until at least tomorrow or Tuesday until I can get to gamestop to sell some of my crap there and get some money. After that, it's just a matter of getting the supplies. Oh, yeah, and the thing about the screw missing, I looked at the exploded view in the manual (that was a pain to find online) and it turns out there was only one and it just needed to be tightened. It's all good now.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:19 am
I have a Remington New Army same as that more or less and got a converter. I haven't shot it much but I like it have yet to use it as a cap and ball though.  

Wolf Nightshade

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff