Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Getting others Started, and Starting

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Snow caching
  is harder
View Results

7raindrops

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:40 am
I just took two of my very best friends geocaching for the first time yesterday. They loved it! They are thinking of getting a geomate! I also have gotten an elderly couple who comes into my work all the time to buy a geomate jr. so that they can geocache. I also got one of my ex boyfriends to geocache and he loves it a ton also.

I was introduced to it by my Uncle who goes with his daughter and his god son. He explained it to me and I went out and did it.

I want to know who and how you got into geocaching, and who have you introduced it to.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:40 pm
I first learned about geocaching from Knights of the Dinner Table issue #64.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:15 pm
DenvoPryde
I first learned about geocaching from Knights of the Dinner Table issue #64.

HOLY CRAP! That's where I first heard about it too! Are you active on the Kenzer & Company forums?

Actually I read about it in one of Jolly's KODT editorials before he did the comic about it with Brian, Dave and Bob. Then both my sister and I tried it ourselves back in 2002.

I've tried to get my daughters and a coworker into it but it met with lukewarm reception since they don't care much for walking or the outdoors. Now when the weather is good I take my grandson with me. He goes by the username of Sage Ranger at the geocaching website and my youngest daughter is Baka Ranger White.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 am
aww I feel left out what is this?  

7raindrops

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 am
Knights of the Dinner Table (aka KODT) is a magazine and comic for people who play role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons (or Hackmaster, which is another fantasy rpg is by the same company as the magazine... Kenzer & Company)

http://www.kenzerco.com/

Years ago one of the company's top guys mentioned geocaching in his monthly editorial. Then a little later the characters in the long running comic decided to try it and took it to a bit of an extreme level (sat in hiding to ambush anyone who came to find their cache).  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:31 pm
Have you guys gottan anyone else started?  

7raindrops

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:55 am
I got my fiancée into Geocaching, I even proposed to her through Geocaching. I hid a cache and put the ring in it. I then sent her the coordinates to her, and I named the false Cache "Will, Hue, Mary, and Me". It caught her off guard some much she almost fell into the nearby river when she realized what it was.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:50 pm
DenvoPryde
I got my fiancée into Geocaching, I even proposed to her through Geocaching. I hid a cache and put the ring in it. I then sent her the coordinates to her, and I named the false Cache "Will, Hue, Mary, and Me". It caught her off guard some much she almost fell into the nearby river when she realized what it was.

That's adorable! Well, the falling in the river thing is more wet than anything, but that's so sweet that you proposed that way!

I'm still new to geocaching (haven't even had a chance to go yet!) but I did somehow manage to get an online friend interested (and signed up for the geocaching.com site; I must be persuasive), and I got my dad and fiance to agree to join me in a geocaching team.  

Merily

Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff