Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
Changing URL of my witchcraft blog

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 pm
I have a blog called Witchcraft at Midnight. The URL is http://www.witchcraftatmidnight.blogspot.com but I am changing it to http://moonwebmagick.blogspot.com so if you visit it or wish to visit it in the future, then use the new address. My blog is about different aspects of witchcraft, including spells, recipes, tools, and regular advice. I also have a lot of excercises and techniques, like scrying, conjuring energy, seeing auras, and a lto more. Check it out, and feel free to join it. Also, it would be greatly appreciated if you would give me any feedback or advice to make my blog better. Thank you!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 pm
You don't seem to have followed any of the advice we gave you last time you asked for some....  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
You don't seem to have followed any of the advice we gave you last time you asked for some....

not true. I have changed it a lot and made a lot of improvements  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 am
Honestly I can't remember the advice we gave you before. I recall complaints about the colour scheme and quite probably someone told you you were spelling "magick" wrong. I think I said something about providing spells but not explaining how they are cast.

This time I've had many long days at work recently so I am not going to cater to your feelings. For this I apologize in advance.

It's the same hard-to-read colour it used to be. You're still using the word "magick", you still have the Rede up there as if it were relevant, you're still generalising your witchcraft to apply to all witchcraft. You still have the Rule of Three up there as instruction rather than the personal belief it is. You have lots of religion mixed in there; is this a religious blog or a witchcraft one?

You actually supplied a spell to change one's eye colour. You made a post on herbs but didn't detail how to use each one - which ones might be poisonous, which make a good tea, which are better in a pillow, how to prepare them, how much to use. You said "sage" - what type of sage? If someone uses white sage in a tea, will they be fine?

You gave a circle casting ritual but didn't explain why this is relevant to witchcraft, why someone might cast one. You said what it does from your point of view and that's fine, but a witch reading it will think: yes? but why is it necessary? Am I meant to do this? Every time, only sometimes? Why do you need candles? Why do you need to represent each element? Why do you need to cast a circle from the outside (it seems impractical)? You haven't detailed how to actually cast the circle, either. Walking around it with elements saying "I purify this space" doesn't actually cast a circle. Once you enter the circle, how do you close it?

"Effectively" cast a circle? You haven't explained how to do it at all. You're assuming the person reading it already knows pretty much all the steps - including one or two you didn't include. If that's the case, why provide someone, who already knows how this is done, with such a simple, beginners-level example? Anyone actually knew to the concept won't have a clue how to do it, and if they try they'll do it wrongly, and anyone who knows how it's done has no use for your post. So what's the point?

Personally I don't see any changes at all. I'm not even sure what the purpose of the blog is. Anyone seeking to learn can learn more, and better, from a very entry-level book; anyone who knows something already and is seeking more is already too advanced for the information you're giving. So what niche are you seeking to fill here?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:31 am
Here's the original thread for reference.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Honestly I can't remember the advice we gave you before. I recall complaints about the colour scheme and quite probably someone told you you were spelling "magick" wrong. I think I said something about providing spells but not explaining how they are cast.

This time I've had many long days at work recently so I am not going to cater to your feelings. For this I apologize in advance.

It's the same hard-to-read colour it used to be. You're still using the word "magick", you still have the Rede up there as if it were relevant, you're still generalising your witchcraft to apply to all witchcraft. You still have the Rule of Three up there as instruction rather than the personal belief it is. You have lots of religion mixed in there; is this a religious blog or a witchcraft one?

You actually supplied a spell to change one's eye colour. You made a post on herbs but didn't detail how to use each one - which ones might be poisonous, which make a good tea, which are better in a pillow, how to prepare them, how much to use. You said "sage" - what type of sage? If someone uses white sage in a tea, will they be fine?

You gave a circle casting ritual but didn't explain why this is relevant to witchcraft, why someone might cast one. You said what it does from your point of view and that's fine, but a witch reading it will think: yes? but why is it necessary? Am I meant to do this? Every time, only sometimes? Why do you need candles? Why do you need to represent each element? Why do you need to cast a circle from the outside (it seems impractical)? You haven't detailed how to actually cast the circle, either. Walking around it with elements saying "I purify this space" doesn't actually cast a circle. Once you enter the circle, how do you close it?

"Effectively" cast a circle? You haven't explained how to do it at all. You're assuming the person reading it already knows pretty much all the steps - including one or two you didn't include. If that's the case, why provide someone, who already knows how this is done, with such a simple, beginners-level example? Anyone actually knew to the concept won't have a clue how to do it, and if they try they'll do it wrongly, and anyone who knows how it's done has no use for your post. So what's the point?

Personally I don't see any changes at all. I'm not even sure what the purpose of the blog is. Anyone seeking to learn can learn more, and better, from a very entry-level book; anyone who knows something already and is seeking more is already too advanced for the information you're giving. So what niche are you seeking to fill here?

Well... at least you read through it, thanks for that. Now, I didn't spell magick wrong. I have read many books of witchcraft and they all spell it magick. The spelling this way is to dicifer between illusionary magic, the kind of stuff you might see on a stage in Las Vegas and real witchcraft. Also, I did include a lot of advice from different religions because there advice there can apply to people who aren't part of a religion. You aren't the only person who reads it so I try and put out a lot of different advice for all sorts of different people. Also, the rule of three is very good advice and many witches follow it. If you don't follow that advice then ignore it, but a lot of people take it to heart, including myself, that is why it is up there. I already posted a warning that if you don't know what the herb is then don't intake it in any way, shape, or form. I did plenty of specifics in the circle casting ritual, enough that whoever is trying to cast it should be able to effectively follow the directions. I made a lot of changes, and the reason I didn't change everything you said is because a lot of the things you said applied only to some people. Many of the advice I had posted on there could be wonderful to many people, if you don't beleive in it then just ignore it. Anyway, thank you for actually reading my blog even if you felt that it was pointless. I hope that you at least learned something from it.  

Ritual at Dusk

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:04 pm
She gave you advice and you.. just blow it off?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:51 pm
Magick with the "k" is specific to the practice of Thelema. The "k" has some significance in numerology. When speaking to others who are like minded, there is no need to differentiate... we know that when you say magic, you aren't talking about the stage kind. That others have used in in books, we understand, but really it is just them trying to look "special", or not understanding where the term actually came from.  

ncsweet
Crew

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:06 am
Quote:
Now, I didn't spell magick wrong. I have read many books of witchcraft and they all spell it magick.

They're spelling it wrong too. Magick with a K refers to Crowley's brand of magic. He invented the word to distinguish between his magic and the magic of others, as well as illusionists.

Quote:
Also, I did include a lot of advice from different religions because there advice there can apply to people who aren't part of a religion. You aren't the only person who reads it so I try and put out a lot of different advice for all sorts of different people.

The problem is that I'm not seeing that, at all. And you have flashy pictures all over the place that are clearly religious; how else do you expect people to interpret that? Only one type of person is going to read your blog, really, because everyone else will be put off by the imagery you're using.

Quote:
Also, the rule of three is very good advice and many witches follow it. If you don't follow that advice then ignore it, but a lot of people take it to heart, including myself, that is why it is up there.

A rule is not advice; it is a rule. It is not phrased as advice, anyway. It speaks of a metaphysical wotsit wherein three times what you give out comes back. How is that advice?

When you put it up there and say "OMG don't do bad things because the law of three will get you!" did you honestly expect others to interpret that as advice? relevant to some and not others?

Quote:
I already posted a warning that if you don't know what the herb is then don't intake it in any way, shape, or form.

That's great if you're trying to avoid being sued. Not if you actually care what happens to people. Caveats work best within the post in question.

Quote:
I did plenty of specifics in the circle casting ritual, enough that whoever is trying to cast it should be able to effectively follow the directions.

No, you didn't. Read over what I said again, read over your post and honestly try to find therein the answers to my questions. You gave a basic ritual form and that was it; you didn't actually explain how to cast the circle. You assumed they'd know how.... so why give someone who already knows how such a basic example?

Quote:
I made a lot of changes

Such as?

Quote:
and the reason I didn't change everything you said is because a lot of the things you said applied only to some people.

Your blog only applies to some people.
My issue is that it's purporting to be about witchcraft, generally. If this is so, make it about witchcraft generally. If it's not, describe your blog more appropriately. Tell people what type of witchcraft you're actually discussing.

Quote:
Many of the advice I had posted on there could be wonderful to many people, if you don't beleive in it then just ignore it.

I'm sorry, didn't you just ask me to give you some feedback and advice? So, what, you'd only accept feedback if it's people telling you how awesome it was? I took the time to give you honest feedback and genuine advice, and you're telling me that if I don't like it I should just ignore it? I only paid it attention in the first place because you asked me to. If you don't want advice, in the future, don't bother asking for it.

Quote:
Anyway, thank you for actually reading my blog even if you felt that it was pointless.

The blog, or reading it? You asked me to read it and give you advice, and I did. That was the point. The only reason, apparently, that it was a pointless endeavor is because you're dismissing all my advice. Even the one about making it a colour people could actually read, apparently, as it doesn't appear to have changed.

Quote:
I hope that you at least learned something from it.

God, no. Like I said, it's very very 101. Everyone reading it will either be an absolute beginner or will have moved past the need for that sort of information.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 am
I read your old blog but I am sorry I cannot read this one. I had enough difficulty reading the previous one that I really do not wish to put my eyes under such strain again. I cannot read anything on a black background especially when the text is a similar color.
I did however have a quick look at your new blog and I have one question. Why all the pictures? I can understand pictures as examples and maybe a nice header but having to scroll through three or so pictures before you actually get to the information is a little annoying and seems unnecessary to me. I am going to be brutally honest now and say that the pictures make the whole site look childish. Having lots of pretty little picture does not make a blog/website good. In fact pictures are quite redundant if you have good information, interesting ideas etc.  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 pm
kage no neko
She gave you advice and you.. just blow it off?

no, I am working on some of it now. She was right on how it would be more difficult to udnerstand from another person's perspective  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Quote:
Now, I didn't spell magick wrong. I have read many books of witchcraft and they all spell it magick.

They're spelling it wrong too. Magick with a K refers to Crowley's brand of magic. He invented the word to distinguish between his magic and the magic of others, as well as illusionists.

Quote:
Also, I did include a lot of advice from different religions because there advice there can apply to people who aren't part of a religion. You aren't the only person who reads it so I try and put out a lot of different advice for all sorts of different people.

The problem is that I'm not seeing that, at all. And you have flashy pictures all over the place that are clearly religious; how else do you expect people to interpret that? Only one type of person is going to read your blog, really, because everyone else will be put off by the imagery you're using.

Quote:
Also, the rule of three is very good advice and many witches follow it. If you don't follow that advice then ignore it, but a lot of people take it to heart, including myself, that is why it is up there.

A rule is not advice; it is a rule. It is not phrased as advice, anyway. It speaks of a metaphysical wotsit wherein three times what you give out comes back. How is that advice?

When you put it up there and say "OMG don't do bad things because the law of three will get you!" did you honestly expect others to interpret that as advice? relevant to some and not others?

Quote:
I already posted a warning that if you don't know what the herb is then don't intake it in any way, shape, or form.

That's great if you're trying to avoid being sued. Not if you actually care what happens to people. Caveats work best within the post in question.

Quote:
I did plenty of specifics in the circle casting ritual, enough that whoever is trying to cast it should be able to effectively follow the directions.

No, you didn't. Read over what I said again, read over your post and honestly try to find therein the answers to my questions. You gave a basic ritual form and that was it; you didn't actually explain how to cast the circle. You assumed they'd know how.... so why give someone who already knows how such a basic example?

Quote:
I made a lot of changes

Such as?

Quote:
and the reason I didn't change everything you said is because a lot of the things you said applied only to some people.

Your blog only applies to some people.
My issue is that it's purporting to be about witchcraft, generally. If this is so, make it about witchcraft generally. If it's not, describe your blog more appropriately. Tell people what type of witchcraft you're actually discussing.

Quote:
Many of the advice I had posted on there could be wonderful to many people, if you don't beleive in it then just ignore it.

I'm sorry, didn't you just ask me to give you some feedback and advice? So, what, you'd only accept feedback if it's people telling you how awesome it was? I took the time to give you honest feedback and genuine advice, and you're telling me that if I don't like it I should just ignore it? I only paid it attention in the first place because you asked me to. If you don't want advice, in the future, don't bother asking for it.

Quote:
Anyway, thank you for actually reading my blog even if you felt that it was pointless.

The blog, or reading it? You asked me to read it and give you advice, and I did. That was the point. The only reason, apparently, that it was a pointless endeavor is because you're dismissing all my advice. Even the one about making it a colour people could actually read, apparently, as it doesn't appear to have changed.

Quote:
I hope that you at least learned something from it.

God, no. Like I said, it's very very 101. Everyone reading it will either be an absolute beginner or will have moved past the need for that sort of information.

okay, you're right, on a lot of things. Thank you for the advice. It just took me a while to see that what you were saying was right and that it needed to be worked on  

Ritual at Dusk

*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games