Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
the seat belt law Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

have the seat belt law OR NOT
  YES (i want to pay 101$ to gov cuss I forgot)
  NO (it is my choice and is my freedom)
View Results

Lord Izaran
Vice Captain

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm
This is one kind of fine/tax I have to agree with.

Seatbelts are a direct impacting safety concern. Because of that, when you do not wear a seatbelt you CAN put other drivers at risk. But how?

Here is how:

You get thrown from a car at 55mph (All of this is circumspection and speculation, NOT FACT OR BASED ON ANY EVEN. IF SO, RELATION TO SAID EVENTS IS INTENDED OR KNOWN OF.) and your soon-to-be-corpse slams into someones car, causing them and the 4 small children in the back to slam into another car, and then be run over by an 18-wheeler. IF you survived, you could be charged with multiple voluntary manslaughter charges for WILLFULLY not wearing a provided safety device and the actions of you being hurled from your car resulting in numerous deaths. The reasons for voluntary manslaughter is that you willingly chose no to wear or CHECK to make sure you where wearing a safety belt. Because of that it can be argued you willingly participated in a dangerous and potentially life threatening to self and or others behavior or action. Due to the accident not being with malice or premeditation...murder charges are invalid.

Now, seatbelts protect you, and others. How about if your driving and your passenger doesn't wear one? You get hit, he flies and snaps his neck on a tree. Congrats, you get hit with voluntary manslaughter. Involuntary if you pursue the "I am not in control of him..." argument. But you are still liable because you are the driver and assumed authority over the functions of the vehicle.

And remember:

"I didn't know", "I forgot", or any such mode of those augmentative phrases are INVALID BEFORE THE RULE OF LAW.

Ignorance is NOT bliss in the eyes of the Law. Nor should it EVER be.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:45 pm
It's almost a bit of a toss up for me. I think that if you are under the age of 21 you should have to wear a seatbelt by law. Over the age of 21, I would hope that common sense and brains would kick in and you would wear one before your brains ended up all over the road. But then I also think that no EMT or whoever wants to have to be cleaning you up off the road.
Just to add, in PA you do not have to wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle. Which I do think is much worse than not wearing a seatbelt. It makes me think of survival of the fittest or smartest sort of thing.  

Underworld Priestess

Kyo the III

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:13 pm
in my opinion if you don't care then why should they. If you die because you fly out of your car that's your problem not the government. That just the government wanting money.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:03 pm
I have two points to make to the OP:
1. I know I shouldn't be judging you based on your avi, but I can't help but picture me debating politics with a man wearing only briefs. It feels awkward and degrading.
2. It's true in some rare cases that people would have died if they were wearing a seat belt. But for every case like that, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, cases of people who's lives could have been saved by wearing a seat belt. I support this law, maybe if they start fining people like you who don't wear their seat belt, people will start getting it through their head to wear one.  

Captain Syrus Haley

The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces