Kazrielle

Battle-ready Knight

15,250 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm
~Let's discuss the manga of the Gaia universe~

How has the recent death of Johnny K. Gambino affected you?

(or not, in the case of those folks who happen to not be that fond of that character among all the other NPCs)

In my case, being that I've been a member of this site almost as long as it's existed (since 2004), it's rather depressing for me to see them killing off a major NPC like this (plus, I kind of liked him... he was hot).

I wonder what the future holds with the story, how his death will affect the other characters, and what vile fiend is behind his death (and quite possibly what threat do they pose to us). Also, one thing that I've always wondered about - when the hell are they ever going to have a Catgirl be an NPC? Jeez! With how much catgirls are synonymous with anime, you'd think they would've created an NPC like that by now. Ugh... sweatdrop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:27 pm
I think it was a cheap shot on Gaia's part. I mean, to bloodily kill off the most prominent NPC just for a silly plot point in their generally-unread manga? ...and then not tell anyone until you announce your silly "memorial ceremony"? Pfffff...Johnny deserved better than that - far, far better.

I see it as the new, corporate-owned Gaia symbolically cutting its final ties with "Old Gaia". To be honest, I can't even keep track of the haphazard "storyline" they've been giving us pieces of over the past year or so. It's a total mishmash - I don't even know who the gunman IS.
>.<

Anyway, as to your second point - I agree - the old graphics and posters used to prominently display catgirls, so we know they are well-aware of their popularity. Maybe they're afraid that she'd be too popular, and overshadow the other 2-dimensional NPCs they've introduced lately.
;D

As an aside, I like the "mourning" outfit you have put together - I think I'll follow suit.
*Goes to change*  

Amara Su

Elzingaiv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 pm
I haven't really been a member of Gaia that long...but from what I've noticed they seem to be doing the same thing with the mini comic recently that companies in the print comic biz do, which is keep the status quo and not actually advance plot. The Halloween/xmas story this year is a perfect example, they had a storyline that wouldn't have changed regardless of what happened so they could have a xmas tie-in. And didn't Johnny Gambino die (Allegedly) once before when his tower collapsed? As much as I like the guy, if he comes back then they will be just like mainstream comics who enjoy rewriting events to perpetuate mediocre story development.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:31 pm
In my personal opinion, Big G isn't 'dead'. We've gone through this before, and he'll be back soon enough. He's too awesome to die.  

Arkanik

Beloved Heckler

8,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100

Kazrielle

Battle-ready Knight

15,250 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:49 pm
Johnny is definitely gone this time. They even destroyed his avatar (which is a bummer, but oh well; I suppose it's their way of really trying to get the message accross that he's gone). What worries me right now is that Gino is threatened, along with Sentinel and the Overseer, and damn... even Nikolai and whats-his-name (the dark elf with an airship) are in serious trouble of getting murdered (by stupid Zhivago, who may be hot, but oh what a major a*****e).  
The Guild For Nekos and Those Who Love Them

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games