Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Whats your definition of cosplay? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ralyle

Shirtless Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:50 pm
Cosplaying is basically bringing someone to life that you wish you could be but never in your life could be. Hopefully in the future they will make it so you can literally become the character! XD I would so be the first to do that! XD Or just playing around and having fun doing things that you normally wouldn't do! XD It is just as it says! Costume roleplaying! XD Oh, and adding your personal wonderful touch to a character in order to give them life into this world!
I NOW CALL THIS THE DANNICHIGO PHILOSOPHY!!! XD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:20 pm
Ash; MI, USA

Cosplay is a fun, quirky, addicting hobby. :3
I've just gotten into it recently and I'm already hooked. It's a great way to appreciate the Eastern (and in some cases, Western) characters we adore as fans~
It's also a way to coagulate our fandom of the culture of it. If that even makes sense.  

chobits_chii123

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:45 pm
For me, cosplay is a get away. Other people have mentioned how it's nice to be someone else for a day, to be someone else for a change, and it really is. Making the cosplay yourself is a thrill in itself. You have to learn to sew to make it, but that's just a bonus 3nodding

With all the resposibilities I have, sometimes I'd like to forget about them for a while.

Cosplaying is acting, but really getting into the role, it's fun, and for me, it really helps me stop being so quiet. I'm more of myself when I cosplay. Though, I guess that's because of the outrageous style =)

Cosplay is different to everyone. But in so many ways its the same. It's fun, it's awesome, it's, well... it's cosplay.  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:02 pm
patrick:augusta,ga.
i think cosplay is a way people can realy see how the person they like acts and how they are/arent the same as them.
for me cosplaying with my friends is a grate way to understand
the charicter better.and its really fun.i cosplay naruto and bleach.

kiropterain1

Malevolent Gatekeeper

5,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200

Roxy-bear1216

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:13 pm
Suki, La, CA

Cosplaying, to me, is an expressive, cretaive way of being who you really want to be through someone else. You're able to protray a character from and anime, video game, manga, etc. that you feel most connected to or just plain out like on how you feel that character is protrayed. It's a way for you to bring fantasy to reality in your own way with others that enjoy your passion and hobby.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:08 pm
My definition, is the literal meaning of cosplay.
Cosplay is the contraction of the words costume and play.
SO, anyone, regardless of how well or how poorly a persons costume is constructed, it's still cosplay.

Cosplay= having fun, while in costume :3  

JouninK

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:06 pm
People in a costume of an anime character from an anime and or manga / video game series.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 pm
My online alias is Smithers456,

You can find my profiles on both the ACE section of acparadise.com and on cosplay.com. I've been Cosplaying since 2009 but I have had an interest in Japanese Anime since the early 1990's. Also check out my profile on this site. As stated on my profile I'm 48 years young. smile

I go by two different different definitions of Cosplay:
1. Cosplay is a form of flattery for some. You represent a character from a Manga or Anime series that you like. Cosplayers honor their character by looking like them and even being in character at times. Other Cosplayers honor you and your character by taking an interest in your outfit by asking questions about it and taking pictures of it.
2. Cosplaying for me is also a combination of many interests and hobbies coming together all at the same time. I have an interest in watching Anime especially if the characters are well written for and I can relate to in real life. Being born on Halloween I have always had a Love of costumes in general. Cosplayers take costumes to a higher level by creating them and paying great attention to detail. Some Cosplay outfits are so well done that it looks like the Cosplayer walked right out of the Anime series into the real world. I Love Role Playing Games so seeing Cosplayers be in character is an extra thrill. Some should be movie stars. smile Last but best of all I'm a photographer. I have always had a hard time getting people to pose for me. At a Cosplay / Anime con many Cosplayers love to have their picture taken and best of all they often pose for me. A dream come true. Feel free to check out my photography work by looking up my pictures on Cosplay.com. Just do a search for my internet alias smithers456.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

egoxromantic

Anxious Conventioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am
Cosplay, for me, is just something fun to do.

I do it because the people are so sweet, and nobody will judge you.

I pretty much hate society, and this is a thing that is against the norms. Which means most of the people are against the norms.
idk it's great.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am
Cosplay by definition is dressing up as a character from a TV show, movie, or book.
But to me, Cosplay is a way of expressing myself and showing how much I love a certain character and/or series. It's a wonderful hobby that makes me incredibly happy.  

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:13 pm
Hey! I’m talking! cat_scream

to me, cosplaying is pretending to be someone else, including their personality. it helps you see from their point of view
crossplaying does the same thing, and you might learn a thing or two of the opposite gender in the process, or even yourself

Ok, I’m done. Go back to your babble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 pm
Dannichigo
Hopefully in the future they will make it so you can literally become the character!

Considering some of the characters people love to cosplay, that's a rather terrifying thought. XD

Lilith, NJ, or Boston, MA depending on the time of year.

Cosplay is costume play. Anything fun in a costume, whether it be acting, showing off, or what have you.  

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:37 am
I define cosplay as this:

A hobby and subculture that participates dress up in costume based from a genre, time period, or as a character from a form of media, often TV and movies.

This tells who ever is reading that 1. Steampunk is cosplay, 2. going to a Ren Faire in outfits is cosplay, and 3. most of it is characters from TV or movies.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm
Its a combination of hobby and interest, people cosplay because they love what they are doing. They simply admire a certain fictitious character from a certain anime genre. Its also a form of socializing in the world of anime.  

khryseis eae

Demigod

29,925 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 pm
I'm Tristan, 23 years old and am from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas.

As far as my personal definition of cosplay:

It is the manifestation of whom or what we dream to be. For some, this could be the only chance for them to express their deepest desires.

You never know what can be transpired with just a wig and imagination.  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff