Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
Communication Confusion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 pm
I've been meaning to put these up for a while. I had to do a series of videos on an infant so I stayed in contact with the mom by texting. I had a bit of trouble understanding. This woman is in her 30s or older. Here are all my texts in my inbox (over the past month).

texts
She jus went dwn 4 nap, she'l b up round 1ish- want 2 text me then and we'll do it aftr she eats?

She is up, want 2 come ovr soon?

Hey, we r goin 2 run a few errands- b back round 2???ish if u stil want 2 c [child's name], jus call me.

Sounds gud. C u l8r

Yes, sat luks gud.

I have an appt n the am, so lets do it n aftn, k?

Wil u text me round noon 2 remind me plz? C u sat

We have a few errands 2 run, then we should b hm 4 u 2 c [child's name]. She wil eat around 2.30ish, so text me roundthen and we'll work out time

K. We r not hm yet anyway- i wil text u when we get hm

We r not hm yet, goin 2 get a bite 2 eat, then b hm l8 aftn

R u in the area? We wil b hm round 5

K. We wil b hm soon- when u c the truk in the driveway, we'l b there if u want 2 come ovr

We r hm

I wil probly b hm round 2 or 3, what time wil u b here?

K. I wont b there til bout 3

Im on my way hm now, r u at ur parents now?

Im bout 15 min frm hm, c u n a few min

We r hm and ready...Finally!

stare It was a struggle not only to communicate but to understand the communication. My computer was screaming at me the whole time I typed this.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:04 am
I shall attempt a translation if that's ok...

Your Illiterate Mother (sorry)

She just went down for a nap, she'll be up around 1ish - want to text me then and we'll do it after she eats?

She is up, want to come over?

Hey, we are going to run a few errands - be back around 2???(Why so many question marks? Better question: Why are there any question marks...)ish if you still want to see [insert name here], just call me.

Sounds good. See you later.

Yes, Saturday looks good.

I have appointment in the AM, so let's do it in the afternoon, ok?

Will you text me around noon to remind me please? See you Saturday.

We have a few errands to run, then we should be home for you to see [insert name here]. She will eat around 2:30ish, so text me around then and we will out out a time. (My eyes are starting to sizzle...Must finish translation...)

Ok. We are not home yet anyway - I will text you when we get home.

We are home yet, going to get a bite to eat, then be home later (this) afternoon.

Ok. We will be home soon - When you can the truck in the driveway, we'll be there if you want to come over.

We are home.

I will probably be home around 2 or 3, what time will you be here? (Starting to lose vision due the flames in my retina)

Ok. I won't be there until around 3.

I'm on my way home now, are you at your parents now?

I'm about 15 minutes from home, see you in a few minutes.

We are home and ready...Finally!

Whew...done. (Arthur then falls out of his chair with flaming eyes, drooling and babbling intelligently.)  

Chronos Interferon

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:12 am
Ouch. That looks... painful.

I actually cut down on my texting by only texting with full sentences, punctuation, and reasonable grammar... I make a point to. It takes longer to text like that, and it makes me sure I really, really want to say what I wanted to say before I even try to say something.

I am guilty of abbreviating in emergencies but nothing to heinous. It's hard for me to think in txt tlk. It comes out like pudding out of a water pipe. Messily and hard to clean up.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:55 pm
I use good grammar and try to use good spelling when I text. I can actually get one going pretty fast. My only issue is that I have a touch screen phone. I hit the wrong buttons at times.  

Niccea Majeare

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:07 pm
Niccea Majeare
I use good grammar and try to use good spelling when I text. I can actually get one going pretty fast. My only issue is that I have a touch screen phone. I hit the wrong buttons at times.

I have a normal keypad, as in, no qwerty setup.

Texting takes a long time.. D:  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:28 pm
A classmate of mine just sent me this text this morning...

Hey this is mauice frm iot...did chef molly tell you how to request are certificates and do kno if its possible to change wat europe trip you wanna go on

Translation: Hey this is Mar'Rees from IOT... Did Chef Molly tell you how to request our certificates and do you know if it's possible to change which European trip you want to go on?

Not one of the worst I've ever seen, but still bad enough to rate a post.  

Melantha007

8,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items