Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
I'ma firin' my lazor! (I made an awesome weapon)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Variola Major

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Okay, so I love making weapons. Here's one for fiction taking place in the future involving space marines who need a weapon to fight with.

Weapon name: Mark 13 Individual Combat Weapon, commonly referred to as the "Nielson" after it's designer.

Weapon Type: Short Pulse Chemical Laser

Length: 830 mm (stock extended)
750 mm (stock retracted)

Weight: 3 kg fully loaded

Ammunition capacity: 60 round box magazine

More about the Mark 13: The Mark 13 operates by using a small (about 3.5x40 mm) power cell that utilizes a chemical reaction to produce a large amount of energy that is then used to power the laser. The power cell is useless after a single use (it only has enough chemicals to produce a single reaction), so the Mark 13 discards the power cell and loads a new one after firing, much like modern firearms extract spent shell casings and load fresh rounds. Power cells are loaded and extracted magnetically, and extraction can be switched between left handed and right handed with a flick of a switch. The laser pulses are normally invisible, but the weapon can, with a quick flick of a switch, be made to fire coloured lasers intended to function much like tracer rounds. The weapon uses a short pulse to avoid blooming. Accessories, such as optical sights, targeting lasers, foregrips, and grenade launchers can be fitted. The weapon's stock is telescopic so as to be adjustable to fit marines of all shapes and sizes. It is designed to be as comfortable and easy to aim as possible, and is about the size, weight, and shape of a modern day M4 carbine (I consider that detail highly important). Weapon construction is of advanced ceramics with extremely high heat tolerance to avoid overheating, and a quick change barrel is standard, though it should rarely be needed. It's mainly a precaution (If you have it and don't need it, no harm done. If you need it and don't have it, you are royally ********. This is why marines are issued two extra barrels to carry with them into combat.). Although the weapon has recoil (do to the chemical reaction in the power cells, with is explosive in nature), this recoil is less than that of modern 5.56mm assault rifles. The weapon also makes a noise similar to a gunshot (again due to the power cells) as well as a crackling noise (due to the laser pulse), but these noises are not quite as loud as the report of a 5.56mm. The weapon is inherently more accurate than projectile firearms, and boasts a longer effective range.

So, like it?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:23 pm
Neat idea, but I was expecting pictures of a plywood, pipe, and electrical coil pulse rifle. And then I was expecting to drive to your house and get you to let me shoot it.

Expectations: dashed.  

ArmasTermin

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 pm
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Angry_Marines  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:39 am
Variola Major
The laser pulses are normally invisible, but the weapon can, with a quick flick of a switch, be made to fire coloured lasers intended to function much like tracer rounds.
Give it multiple colors. If you shoot a green laser and your enemy is wearing the exact same color shirt, the laser will literally bounce off.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Variola Major

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 am
Fresnel
Variola Major
The laser pulses are normally invisible, but the weapon can, with a quick flick of a switch, be made to fire coloured lasers intended to function much like tracer rounds.
Give it multiple colors. If you shoot a green laser and your enemy is wearing the exact same color shirt, the laser will literally bounce off.
It has several colours.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:10 pm
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed,
but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance...

tl;dr, Saw the red part though.

... In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years
of democracy and peace, what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

Kuuhaku-shou

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200

Variola Major

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 am
Chivalric Knight
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed,
but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance...

tl;dr, Saw the red part though.

... In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years
of democracy and peace, what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.
I thought it important to point out that this is not one of those unrealistically huge futuristic weapons.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games