Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Daffodil Movement

Back to Guilds

Guild for the Daffodil Movement, a cancer awareness movement here on Gaia. 

Tags: cancer, awareness, daffodils, daffodil, movement 

Reply Chat Forum [random chat and blah blah]
R.I.P ...My hair.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dormant lime

Astounding Loiterer

12,200 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:12 am
User Image Team C h i l d h o o d

✩|| I don't have cancer (as far as I know), but as most of you know I've known and lost people who have/had cancer. To help support them and other people I don't even know, I'm planning on shaving my head.
Losing your hair from an illness can be tough for many reasons, and can even be a source of insecurity- so I'm going to face that with them.
I'm not much different in that case either...I'm losing my hair, too. Gradually, but I am. Eating disorder, depression, stress, thyroid problems...and maybe even problems I don't know about, are causing my hair to thin terribly and fall out. No bald spots just yet, but it won't be long I'm sure.
It doesn't feel good to brush your hair and lose it in the process.

That being said, I don't really have much to lose by shaving my head- for myself and the cause.
I'll have to buy a wig for when I got to work so I don't freak out the little kids, the older people, and of course my boss...but other than that, not much will change.

So yeah. I'll post here with pictures and stuff when it happens, but until then much planning and anticipation will ensue.

Wish me luck! whee

User Image

Help us help them.
¸,¤°´'`°.¸¸.°´'`°

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:23 am
That is very TOUCHING, like seriously, i'm very proud of you just for the thought alone. i always dreamt of shaving my head, and playing with cancer patients, sadly, my parents would NEVER allow such thing.....

I'm looking forward to the pictures  

Black Seduction

5,700 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100

dormant lime

Astounding Loiterer

12,200 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:59 am
User Image Team C h i l d h o o d

✩|| My dad is probably going to be annoyed as hell about it, but his brother died from cancer when I was little. Others have too, but that particular case hurt him the most.

He's told me before he's incredibly proud of me for supporting the fight against cancer, so even if he isn't very happy about it...he understands my reasons and might pick on me a bit about it, but more or less he'll leave me alone.

As for your parents, you kind of have to understand. For one they're from almost completely different times. Even if they're not, not many parents are comfortable with watching their child (especially a daughter) make such drastic changes in appearance. Maybe you should discuss it with them though? It'd be for a good cause. Even if they won't allow it now, maybe ask them how they'd feel if you did it when you were older.

You could also volunteer at a local hospital to help the children and other patients with cancer. Around here the Red Cross has summer programs for teenagers. 3nodding

User Image

Help us help them.
¸,¤°´'`°.¸¸.°´'`°

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:43 am
Yeah, I agree. That's really touching and it's really brave. <3 Someday I'd like to say that I'll do that, and get past all of my selfish tendencies. But for now, I'm just growing out my hair to donate. But good luck! 3nodding  

surrealisticXpillow

6,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Black Seduction

5,700 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 am
Umm, i don't want to seem selfish or anything but
do you think i can get community service hours for it?
my dad would never let me do something like that, trust me i live in prison. UNLESS, i say i HAVE to do it for SCHOOL to get community hours... he'd never bring me to do anything like that. I can't even join any clubs, or stay after school for ANYTHING. Man my life sucks, oh well....  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:16 am
Guilty Pride
my dad would never let me do something like that, trust me i live in prison. UNLESS, i say i HAVE to do it for SCHOOL to get community hours... he'd never bring me to do anything like that. I can't even join any clubs, or stay after school for ANYTHING. Man my life sucks, oh well....

I don't know if I would use it for 'community service' hours, but I'm sure you can just explain to him why it's so important. It's a good cause, so it's even better than community service. Good luck! heart biggrin  

surrealisticXpillow

6,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

dormant lime

Astounding Loiterer

12,200 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 am
User Image
Guilty Pride

Team C h i l d h o o d

✩|| You could try and get your school to get involved in World's Greatest Shave, which is an event where you shave or dye your hair. You get sponsors which donate to you for the event, and all proceeds turned in go to foundations fighting Leukemia.
I'm not sure about the school thing, but I know that you can join a team or do it by yourself all year 'round. Worst case scenario schools can't register this late and you talk to the administrators at your school about doing it next year.

User Image

Help us help them.
¸,¤°´'`°.¸¸.°´'`°

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:25 pm
The changes in me
Are likely to be like the weather....

Good luck to you! I'm way to self-conscious to do that, but I'm growing my hair out for Locks For Love n.n

Stormy and clear
Strength into fear, bound together....

Arashi Erina

Ruthless Hunter

17,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Pixie Sixx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:01 pm
Good for you! I cut my hair for locks of love a few years back and just recently I shaved it off for St. Baldricks. Some people make comments about it, but I feel so great.

I must say, the best moment was when a group of very thug looking boys called me over. They said " 'Ay, girl! C'mere!" So I walked over, thinking they were going to be rude. Instead of an insult one of them shyly asked to rub my head and the rest said that they 'give me mad props'. smile

So, I give you 'mad props'. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:28 pm
if you have no use for the hair such as a cancer movement, then you could donate it to any of the oil spill clean up efforts... human hair is an excellent oil sponge.  

Blind Hodd

Aekea Champion

Blue-sky-at-night

5,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:34 am
A lady at church shaved her head when her husband lost all his hair to chemo. It was very touching and a show of solidarity. God bless you for the thought.

edit to add: totally awesome siggy quote Rosalind Hawk  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:15 pm
My mother always told me love was a bullshit emotion that only fools and dreamers believed in...
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Oh honey, I know what it's like to lose your hair.
I'm thankful that mine's thick so you can't really notice it, but it's slowly thinning and we can't figure out why (not cancer, but they figure it will happen eventually, I'm at a higher risk for it now).

It's a terrible thing to experience standing there, getting ready for school or work or something, and be brushing the hair right out of your head!
Losing clumps of it, and it all falling to the floor around you.
It's getting to the point where I have to stand outside and brush my hair because of how much just falls out.
It doesn't seem like something to be worried about just losing your hair, but some people are very insecure about themselves and it will worsen if they lose their hair (I happen to be one of those people....) redface

My sister and I donated our hair to make wigs a few years ago (about 7 years ago...) and my mom was crying. No one could figure out why, and they assumed it was because my sister and I had such long, beautiful hair, she loved to play with it.
But it turned out it was because she was so happy with our decision to donate it to make wigs. My sister and I are very attached to our hair and are very insecure about it. She was proud of us for doing something like that.

You should be very proud of yourself for making that choice.

User ImageUser Image
...so she told me to be the fool with a dream...

Angel Nicholson

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100

star7301

Sparkly Kitten

7,700 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:29 pm