Portents and Omens

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:48 am

I've always been curious about these sorts of things, as they've always been sworn by in my family (Red sky at night, droping a dish towel heralds company, etc.), but it wasn't until one night when I was out visiting relatives with my family that any of it really hit home.

It was December 17th, my first night home, and we had gone to a Christmas party at my aunt and uncle's. It was getting late in the evening, and I was bored out of my skull, being the youngest there, when the front door blew open. Sounds normal enough, ne? But that door hadn't been touched all night; we had all used the side door to come in or go out, and it wasn't a particularily windy night. Cool, but the winds were certainly not high enough to blow open a secure door. This was strange, but what froze the event in my mind was my uncle declairing as he went to close the door with a chuckle "The Devil's among us now, boys!"

I've been flipping through my own books, but I'm not coming up with much on what such a portent could mean. Possible visiting spirit, or that company is on the way. This, however, seems a bit scant; there has to be comething more to it! So I'm wondering is anyone here knows what a door opening on it's own could signify.

This may also be an excellent oppertunity to discuss portents and omens in general, to share them and the like.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:56 am

Omen, or the real world's version of foreshadow ^.^

If you take it literally, it would mean something new. An opening of doors, a new opportunity, a new chance. Fits with the new year, the new season of light that was approaching at the time.

If you're going with what your uncle said, it might mean a new mind. Spirit, person, or something negative like your uncle said.

Of course this is all very vague, and you should do some divination to figure out some more. And keep in mind that it might not apply just to you, or even you at all.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:40 pm

Nihilistic Seraph
And keep in mind that it might not apply just to you, or even you at all.

Odds are, it has nothing to do with me; it wasn't even my house. sweatdrop It was just something odd, you know? And I'll admit, I'm easily spooked, which is why it's stuck with me. For my own knowledge I'd like to know what portents like this can mean, just so I know if it ever happens in my own house. 3nodding
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:17 pm

I know the feeling, two days ago when i was at my friends house and were in his basement, I turn to him and say "does it happen often that you see people wlaking by out of the corner of your eye?" His response -"yep"

His basement is seriosuly cracked

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:28 am

*shudders* Basements like that are all of not cool. I've never seen anything in them, but I've felt and heard things.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:07 pm

He had two dolls, that honestly looked like the were possesed. One day, one vanished. They still don't know where it is. The eyes are all sunken and ringed with black, it's all freaky.

And they had a face in their insulation for a while.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:23 pm

My Granfather died when I was very young. My Grandmother comes down every year near his birthday to visit. One day we left to go somewhere and we locked all the doors. When we came home the front and garage door were both opened. I honestly think it was my grandfathers spirit. I think that when thae door was opened it was to let people or someone know that there was a spirit there. Spirits would not need to open doors and such. To me it would signify through my experience and your tale that a spirit wanted people to know it was there.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:24 am

Christo Minaverus
To me it would signify through my experience and your tale that a spirit wanted people to know it was there.

I had thought along very similar lines. I had just also wondered if it could be a forerunner to anything before I jumped to the spirit conclusion. The problem with detecting a spirit sometimes is that the same signs that indicate a spiritual presence can also indicate a number of other things, magickal and mundane alike, and I don't want to be hasty is conclusion making.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:46 am

Gypsy Blue
Christo Minaverus
To me it would signify through my experience and your tale that a spirit wanted people to know it was there.

I had thought along very similar lines. I had just also wondered if it could be a forerunner to anything before I jumped to the spirit conclusion. The problem with detecting a spirit sometimes is that the same signs that indicate a spiritual presence can also indicate a number of other things, magickal and mundane alike, and I don't want to be hasty is conclusion making.
I feel if the spirit was directly trying to get to you you would more than know it was a spirit. I think it was probably aimed at another.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:14 pm

Yes, I know that if it was a spirit that was trying to get my attention, it would have done so unquestionably. But was it a spirit, or simply a portent? Going with the latter rather than the former, what could it have stood for?

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces