Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Ain't" ain't a word, or is it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is "aint" a correct word?
Yes. Its been around since 1778.
37%
 37%  [ 30 ]
No. Its a vulgarity. Using it shows ignorance and lack of grammar.
27%
 27%  [ 22 ]
I dont have enough information to make a good decision.
35%
 35%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 80

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:19 am
It may be a word, but I still avoid using "ain't" in formal writing.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:58 am
I say ain't quite a bit...I say ya'll too...But that's only when speaking. It's just easier to type correctly.  

[-True Illusion-]

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:55 am
Well, kinda, well, hard to say, mabe?
Well, I dunno, but I say "dunno", and it's not really an orginal Englsih word either.  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:27 am
I don't consider it an actual word...but is fun to say sometimes sweatdrop  

Sarla-chan

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:30 am
I can't actually remember the last time I said 'ain't', it' just the way I speak really. I agree that it is a word as it's used so commonly etc. but I just never use it. What is funny though is when the less educated say it but not realise its contradictive meaning (does that make sense?) so end up saying 'I ain't done nothing', a girl in my art class always says that, it's so funny!

I generally try to not use slang, primarily to keep correct English in use so it does nt get overwhelmed by slang, but also to because I've just been brought up to speak it correctly and not use slang.  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:58 pm
Coming from a small country in the middle of the Caribbean, I have seen a lot of different 'slangs' being brought about the younger generation, more so my own generation, being a teenager.

But if it's one thing that I have barely seen or heard in my life is the use of "ain't". Unbelievably to me, I realise this is one of these things that children down here just do not say. Maybe it has something to do with where we're from, or from our parents, but no. "Ain't" is not commonly used among the locals.

Now I have heard the words a few times from some of those really Southern movies and I believe it is more nationally used around these states. Yet, although I would hear it, I would not go using it in an essay or in real life.

Yes, I am a user of "don't", "won't", or "hasn't" and "can't", with a long list of others, as I find it easier when talking to friends online or in real life, also since these contractions seem to me, more believable from the two words they have been extracted from. But down here, and I'm sure for a lot of other places, contractions are not allowed in essays. It's consided bad grammar and frowned upon from teachers, and they are an easy excuse to have points deducted from an essay you have written. It is allowed however in a quotation or when inside inverted commas when writting something that someone particularly said.

Example: "Don't do that!" Jennifer said, giving her younger brother a slap on the hand.  

Kohy

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:46 pm
This is a touchy topic for discussion.
I don't like using it. I think it sounds like slang.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:12 pm
In the book of Southern language, "ain't" is a word. ^^ I use it all the time. I use "y'all" more often, but I do use "ain't" quite a bit.

I don't tend to use it much when I'm on the Internet, though.

I usually use it when I'm really indignant, like, "That ain't right!"

I don't have that strong of an accent (most of the time >_<), but "ain't" is a very common word here, and it just kind of stuck on me.  

AdiGallia

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces