Reply Japanese language
Learning Japanese: Lesson 2 - Japanese "Alphabet"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm

What's the Difference between Hiragana, Katakana & Kanji?

The Japanese Language has 3 "Alphabets", Hiragana, Katakana & Kanji.

Hiragana is used for particles and words that have no kanji. It is also used in-case you don't know the Kanji form of the word or for words that, in Kanji, are too formal for what your writing. It is also used for Verb and adjective inflections.

Katakana is used for non-native language words. It is sometimes used with Japanese words just for a stylistic way (like in manga).

Kanji
Are adopted Chinese Characters. There are around 1,945 Kanji characters used in Japan today.

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
(you can also type out neat little icons using the Japanese Language bar!)

Not only is it important to type in the language it is also imperative to hand write it out! Threw typing it out you may be able to read the language as fast as English but if you were ask to hand write what you have just typed I'm sure nearly all of you will stumble and draw up a blank on certain characters and you'll be kicking yourself in the butt because you'll be thinking "I can read that character with no sweat and I can't believe I totally forgot how to write it!!"

User Image
Here is a ひらがな Chart that school children use when they are first learning there language. It may be a good idea to print this out to help you study!

It shows the ひらがな on the white boxes and カタカナ and ローマ字on the bottom of the white boxes in black. The numbers on theひらがな are next to a line stroke and tells you where to position and stroke the pen and the correct stroke order.

User Image
Like So.

Images don't want to work for some reason so just copy and past the web page to view Them!

Remember!! Practice Makes Perfect!!! biggrin

Pronunciation

The Japanese Vowels are the same as ours. A-E-I-O-U. They are in a different order and are pronounced the same as in Spanish with consonants the same as English with a few exceptions.

Short Vowel Sound

a as in father, alms
e as in pen, red
i as in ink, machine
o as in open, ocean
u as in true, cruel

Vowel Combinations

All the combined vowels are pronounced in full; for example:

ei=e+i sounded as in day
ai=a+i sounded as in alive
ou=o+u sounded as in float
au=a+u sounded as in out

Long Vowels

Long vowels are pronounced like short vowels but doubled in length:

o in hato(pigeon) is like the o in oil
o in toutou (at last) is like the the o in torch

An n occurring before b, m, and p changes to an m in sound and is so written when romanized:

shin+bun=Shimbun (newspaper)
shin+pai=shimpai (worry)
an+ma=amma (message)

The initial g in a word is usually hard as the g in get and the mid-word g is often nasally as the ng in king.

A double consonant is pronounced independently together. A double c is usually written and always pronounced as te.

yatta(gave)= yat+ta
kitta(cut)= Kit+ta
matchi(match)=mat+chi
kotchi(here)=kot+chi

The u is nearly mute in Japanese except where it is the initial syllable. Particularly where u follows an s it is not articulated.

desu=des
as in desparate
suteeki(steak)= steiki

The r is pronounced like the r in Spanish. A midway sound between l and r. It is never rolled.

The f is very soft and you pronounce it by barely touching your bottom lip to the top of your upper teeth.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:09 pm
People always say learning hiragana is the most the most helpful thing
but actually one of them is learning how the 26 letters in the alphabet are pronounced in Japanese
:/  

Snasper

10,315 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250

She-Lich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:12 am
I need help pronouncing the Japanese 'r'. I've read in my book that you touch the tip of your tongue to the back of your teeth briefly, but I have no way of knowing if I'm doing it right because I'm doing this alone without any CDs or anything. So any more explicit instructions would be helpful.

When I say it, it usually sounds like something between r and d, like the r in quarter. :T  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:05 am
She-Lich
I need help pronouncing the Japanese 'r'. I've read in my book that you touch the tip of your tongue to the back of your teeth briefly, but I have no way of knowing if I'm doing it right because I'm doing this alone without any CDs or anything. So any more explicit instructions would be helpful.

When I say it, it usually sounds like something between r and d, like the r in quarter. :T

When I took Japanese 101, my sensei told me that the "r" in the Japanese languages is pronounced like it would be a mixture of an "r" and "l" sound in the English language.  

Kenshin Mizoguchi

She-Lich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:13 am
Yes, I've heard that too, I just need additional instruction. I would like to hear it in real life if I could, but I don't have the resources. (My computer has no sound, for one, otherwise I'd just look it up.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:43 pm
I'm always forgeting the differences between those three. crying  

Demonic White Angel

5,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

Lanore Vandiore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:05 pm
I never had an issue with hiragana or katakana. It's kanji that kills me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:55 am
do you have to learn both hiragana and katakana?  

Mejiriya

Japanese language

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff