So... OVAs Made of Suck?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OVAs...
  ...for the win!
  ...for the fail!
  I don't care about quality! I just want more Ruroken!
View Results

Nesting Comments

8,600 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:49 pm
(I realize that we're pretty dead as a guild, but I live in hope. I don't care if you see this thread months after I posted in it. I'll try and check it regularly or you can comment on my profile.)

I didn't follow the original Rurouni Kenshin anime, because I was to young. (I've read the manga series, though.) But there were a couple of OVAs that came out within the past couple years that I'd considered watching. However, after hearing the synopsis of the last one, I'm glad I haven't watched them. It seems really, really sucktastic.

Highlight for Spoilers
Apparently Kenshin left Kaoru to raise their kid and only visited occasionally? He then got a fatal disease and proceeded to sleep with Kaoru, causing her to die as well?

On the other hand, it's possible they're decent. Thus, I thought I'd ask the people who'd seen it before. Is it worth it? Did you enjoy it? Did it make you RAGE?

Personally, I much prefer the Kenshin Kaden ending.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:30 am
Yeah, the OVAs pretty much failed at everything.

Speaking as a purist, I don't understand why the company decided to go and create their own thing. With few exceptions, everything dreamed up by them sucks, and the OVAs are not one of those few.  

Angel_Arisu

Obsessive Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Headstrong Believer 50
  • Waffles! 25

TheIllustriousBlueJay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 am
the first OVA rocked, the second one sucked.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm
Both OVAs were good. Trust and Betrayal was amazing however. The one that shows how Kenshin gets his scar with Tomoe etc.

Samurai X Reflections is the one you heard about and while it is good your summary is slightly off.

Also it wasn't a story approved of by the creator of Kenshin so many people don't believe it was canon. I personally really enjoyed it and thought it a fitting end to the series.

I recommend watching them both and making your own opinion. Especially on Trust and Betrayal, a story you should already know from the manga.  

Renkinjutsushi_73

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 pm
The general consensus in the RK fandom is to not miss Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen (Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal), because it's lifted from the pages of the manga and is 90% faithful to it, and to flat out avoid Rurouni Kenshin Seisouhen (Samurai X: Reflection), or if you do watch it, please, please remember anything beyond the point where Kenshin passes the Sakabatou to Yahiko diverges greatly from Watsuki's canon manga ending.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:16 pm
Yeah, sadly, I saw Samurai X:Reflections, before I finished the manga, and I didn't finish the manga for another few years, since I never had any money crying , so I went around thinking that was how it ended. stare , now I realize how bad it was.  

RurouniZakku

Invisible Genius

5,300 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:09 pm
My heart aches for you upon reading that, RurouniZakku.

OT: Sweet avatar!  
~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff