Kalzonie
Crew

Sparkly Seeker

8,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:08 pm
So I posted this thread today you may of seen it.

Bento bunny stealing or not

I go to work, only posting in it a couple of times. Return and bam 50 pages of flame wars and a lock on the tread. How did this get so crazy, why are people freaking out soo much over ths. It was pretty funny to read the reactions posted.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:12 am
Hmmm I think the desing of that "thing" is not original at all, so it's not really stealing... I saw that kind of bunny creatures a lot in Tokio, so I don't think the girl claiming that Gaia stole it from her has a case anyway... but it seems like Gaia will not be rereleasing the Bunny anymore so congratz to those who got it already xD

Unoriginal work is unoriginal razz No offens to the artist...  

Skaia Beltane

Tiny Wildcat

Kalzonie
Crew

Sparkly Seeker

8,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 am
Iehonatane
Hmmm I think the desing of that "thing" is not original at all, so it's not really stealing... I saw that kind of bunny creatures a lot in Tokio, so I don't think the girl claiming that Gaia stole it from her has a case anyway... but it seems like Gaia will not be rereleasing the Bunny anymore so congratz to those who got it already xD

Unoriginal work is unoriginal razz No offens to the artist...

It all depends I guess if she truly believes that she came up with the design and she did copy right it first. then she does have a point. Something has to be 60% different for it be influence or just happened to come up with the same idea. Other wise she could win, I studied copy right at uni.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 am
It kind of reminds me of how a friend of mine submitted an entry into a "Design a ______" contest here on Gaia. Her entry did not make the finals, but soon after the contest was over, an item released by Gaia came out that for all practical purposes included her design (for which she did not receive credit). She wrote in to complain about it, but the response was basically, "Well, we came up with this, so if it looks like your idea it's a coincidence. Thus, you don't deserve to be credit for it." Gaia can be kind of shady at times.  

Kinnei

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Informer 100
  • Befriended 100

sometimesalways

Vice Captain

fxxkin demon

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 am
I surprised when I cam home from work and saw that the Bento bunny I had in the MP had sold. I was like "awesome. What are they going for now? 2 Million?! Whaaaa?" I was hoping to buy the bugger back later after the price had dropped. neutral Oh well. I did make enough to get my Mintaka doll so its cool.

I does seem rather strange out of all the things that Gaia has made this is the item that gets the controversy and pulled from the shop. It's not very original at all. Also it sets a very dangerous president. Like someone in one of the many GCD threads said if this artist complains about her "original" work being stolen what will stop others from claiming the same thing?

I dunno. Gaia should just paint it green and call it a bento grunny.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:56 am
sometimesalways
I surprised when I cam home from work and saw that the Bento bunny I had in the MP had sold. I was like "awesome. What are they going for now? 2 Million?! Whaaaa?" I was hoping to buy the bugger back later after the price had dropped. neutral Oh well. I did make enough to get my Mintaka doll so its cool.

I does seem rather strange out of all the things that Gaia has made this is the item that gets the controversy and pulled from the shop. It's not very original at all. Also it sets a very dangerous president. Like someone in one of the many GCD threads said if this artist complains about her "original" work being stolen what will stop others from claiming the same thing?

I dunno. Gaia should just paint it green and call it a bento grunny.

LOL! There's a thread of Bento Bunny parodies that includes a Bento Grunny. Don't want to make that creator mad. xd  

Kinnei

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Informer 100
  • Befriended 100

Skaia Beltane

Tiny Wildcat

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:43 pm
Well, the Bento Bunny is back and with a name of the so called owner of the bunny... because I still think her stuff is not original. For example, she has miniwings that are exatly like the ones on Gaia but that desing is way too generic for anyone to claim it as their own. (and Gaia's bunny wasn't even pixel to pixel the same as hers) I'm just glad this drama is over. Or is it? rolleyes  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:13 pm
I'm glad he's back though giving her credit seems silly but whatever, we got him.

Now on to other matters...where did that ivy halo come from in the EI report and OMG MC leaks, did you seen them yet?  

sometimesalways

Vice Captain

fxxkin demon

Karma v2
Vice Captain

Invisible Exhibitionist

14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:59 pm
Congrats on 50 pages of chaos Cali! Only you.... XD

Back on topic:
I've seen those bunnies or at least something recognizably similar long before this, so I can't call it an original design. However, the pixel version Gaia made is a little too similar to the one bunny in QoD's design. In the end, by compromising and giving her credit (whether the copy was intentional or purely coincidental), everyone is happy. Gaia gets money, QoD gets "credit", and we get an awesome new item~! Diplomacy at it's finest :3

Welcome to how the world of business works. The customer is always right, whether they really are or not. Believe it or not, negative press can do a lot of damage to a business. So it's better just to make that one person happy if it can be done reasonably.

Totally off topic:
Ivy halo? MC leaks? Whatwhere? =o  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:53 pm
sometimesalways
I'm glad he's back though giving her credit seems silly but whatever, we got him.

Now on to other matters...where did that ivy halo come from in the EI report and OMG MC leaks, did you seen them yet?

I have a feeling the Halo will be part of the later evolutions of the Compass. Still, maybe it's coming out tomorrow with the MCs.  

Kinnei

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Informer 100
  • Befriended 100

Salmay
Captain
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:19 pm
I heard someone else is now complaining about the bunny hat. Whatever!  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 am
Karma v2
Congrats on 50 pages of chaos Cali! Only you.... XD

Back on topic:
I've seen those bunnies or at least something recognizably similar long before this, so I can't call it an original design. However, the pixel version Gaia made is a little too similar to the one bunny in QoD's design. In the end, by compromising and giving her credit (whether the copy was intentional or purely coincidental), everyone is happy. Gaia gets money, QoD gets "credit", and we get an awesome new item~! Diplomacy at it's finest :3

Welcome to how the world of business works. The customer is always right, whether they really are or not. Believe it or not, negative press can do a lot of damage to a business. So it's better just to make that one person happy if it can be done reasonably.

Totally off topic:
Ivy halo? MC leaks? Whatwhere? =o

It was pretty funny at the time. I glad a solution has been made as i wants the item sooo bad.  

Kalzonie
Crew

Sparkly Seeker

8,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Gaiaholics Anonymous

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers