Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Net Slum [a guild for .hack fans]

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of the anime/game series, dot hack. 

Tags: dot hack, .hack//sign, .hack//G.U., .hack, skeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiittthhh 

Reply Game Assistance and Talk
.hack//gu

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yui san

Bashful Shapeshifter

6,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:57 am
I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum, but here I go.

I'm a long term .hack fan and a huge lover of the four original games, but I've waited since 2006 to finally get my hands on the trilogy. I'm obviously like, super excited.

My only questions are: how different is GU from the four original games exactly (interface, game play, etc), and should I watch the entire Roots series before I play?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:09 am
Yes yes yes YES you need to watch //Roots before playing the //GU games.

Gameplay, tons of button sequence pressing, grunties (which you cant ride no more gonk ), character classes, and most of all- The Arena.  

Amarah Couture

5,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200

Yui san

Bashful Shapeshifter

6,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:29 pm
I absolutely can NOT wait. gonk

I'msecretlytorrentingRootsnow.

BUT ITS SLOW.

Also, is the game series considerably shorter than the four originals since it's only a trilogy?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:32 pm
you don't really have to watch roots before you play gu i didn't the gu game are alot different then the first for games it a different story with different people but one thing that is the same is the main dude is trying to save a friend thats in a coma i think the gu games are shorter but thats cuz you don't have to keep spending hours trying to get virus cores  

closedaccount6907

5,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200

Amarah Couture

5,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:21 pm
The GU series, imo, seems like it takes longer, because you have sooo many side quests to do, and tons of leveling.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:22 pm
The G.U. games are a lot shorter, but the last in the series is super long DX. The interface is a lot different. It's easier to select areas to go to. The battle system is different as well, the most noticeable changes being that there isn't a shortcut to control your party and a blue forcefield keeps you in battle. Specifics are revealed during the game. You can't ride grunties but get a steam bike instead. The grunties exist within guilds instead. There's also the arenas and ability to PK.  

Darkly_Doomed

Dapper Lunatic

10,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

Grieverr

Vice Captain

Anxious Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:35 pm
I don't think you need to watch ROOTS before playing, I think you just need to understand the story in Infection-Quarantine. I didn't watch ROOTS until after I played the games and everything made sense to me. c;  
Game Assistance and Talk

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games