Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Poison Plants

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

It itches
  -don't scratch!!
View Results

7raindrops

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 pm
Soo apparently I crawled on something bad and it's all over my leg. I then realized I have not a clue when it comes to different plants I souldn't touch

Have you gotten anything from Geocaching that's plant related?

DO you know about the plants?

Lets all take a moment and discuss these pesky plants  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:54 pm
I don't know much but I guess now is a good time for all of us to inform ourselves on what certain plants look like with some Google or Wikipedia searches on Poison Oak, Poison Ivy and so on.

My biggest problem is ticks, no matter how much Deet I put on one they still like to brush off onto me.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:07 pm
I am lucky I am not allergic to poison Ivy so no worry there. I do have to deal with a lot of thorn bushes, they sometime do not even come out of the wash.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:17 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy

here is a bit about poison Ivy, both the ground plant the the tree vine  

7raindrops

voice of the meadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:55 am
Other than the 3 poisons (ivy, oak, sumac), I'd also avoid nettles and sawgrass. Nettles are just plain nasty, and sawgrass isn't the friendliest either.

I accidentally came out of the woods the other day with scratches all up my hands and arms from sawgrass, oops.

The easiest way to avoid all sorts of nasty things that you don't want (poisonous plants, ticks, thorns, etc.) is wearing long pants and tennis shoes or boots. Also, for the ticks, use a deet containing spray around the cuffs of your pants and the waist of your pants.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:58 am
And DenvoPryde, I would still be careful if I were you. Many people start out with a certain tolerance to poison ivy, but develop the reaction with increased exposure. Essentially, you could be good the first several times running through poison ivy, but then you could start reacting.

That's what happened with me, so it's always good to know how to avoid it anyway. Also, if you're with others, it's good to be able to identify it, in case they cannot.  

voice of the meadow

7raindrops

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:31 pm
Here's the page for sawgrass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cladium  
Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items