Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
How durable is hand sewing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:27 pm
I'm so sorry about these sewing questions, lol. Well, here's the story. My friend bought herself an awesome Singer sewing machine and gave me her old one. Well, the one she gave me is dead now and I can't afford a new one. I'm thinking about hand sewing a costume and I just want to know how durable hand sewing is. I'm scared it'll fall apart in the wash.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:56 pm
I've tried and it didn't.I did it though it took long.  

OoCassadeeoO

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 pm
It depends, honestly. The type of thread you use, the size of your stitches, and the security of your knots all come into play. I find that slippery thread doesn't really lend itself well to hand sewing, as the knots tend to come undone unless you leave a thread hanging. Smaller stitches take longer, but they're more secure. I have many times quickly whipped together something I needed for Faire that day with large stitches, then resewn it with smaller, more secure stitches later that day.

As for washing safety, I've thrown many a hand-sewn item into the washer and had it turn out fine. I prefer to hand-sew my Faire clothes because it's more authentic, and since I get very hot and sweaty, washability is a must.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 am
Ah. I see. Thanks a lot  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Isabelle

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:10 am
I've only really used hand-stitching for small parts of a garment, like the hem to make it invisible, but it's held up great in the washer.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:29 pm
If depends on what kind of stitch you use. Some are better then others.  

dancinjlg

Magical Waffles

48,100 Points
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Fusion Expert 300
  • Cool Cat 500

takocos

Dapper Genius

4,275 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:13 pm
I hand sew pretty much everything and I've never had a problem. I haven't gotten out my sewing machine in 2 years, because I can honestly not figure out how tye off machine stitches. How do you do that? My machine stitched things always come apart. sweatdrop  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games