Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Extracurricular - Japanese Pop Culture
Go (Also known as Baduk, and Wei Qui)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Il Bambino
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:25 pm
User Image
Ever hear of the game GO?

OK, so that board is not mine, but oh well.
Anyone ever hear of this game? It's kind-of old, but my grandpa makes me play it with him when I see him!

It started out when I was around 7-8, I can't remember, but he taught me how to play, and it's a great game! Sort-of. He always beats me. >__<

But anyways, two summers ago, I spent a whole summer in Washington (that's where he lives, sadly I don't. :'( ) But we only had a really thin one, so we decided, "Why don't we build our own?" Because a nice one like the picture above, costs thousands of dollars.

So, we did it! Although, I can't really say it was fun... Me + Wood + Knive = something I don't want to face. D:

But once it was finished, it was fun. We still have the plastic stones that came from our old board, and they're sort-of small for the board, but to make real go stones, you need to make them out of shells, which is super expensive, so, I guess my Grandpa is saving for them. He's awesome.

Anyways, I felt the need to share this with you, because (I think) it's popular among the asian community; at least it was when my famiy lived in Japan, or atleast well known enough to know how to play.

EDIT: Actually, it is still popular! It's extremely popular in Korea! It's known as Baduk in Korea, Wei Qui in China, and "Go" in japan...I wonder if they just write the hiragana of that... hahaaha. So easy to write; two little lines with a quotation mark. hehe...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 am
바둑 is so much fun to play in the parks with the old men in Seoul!
But, I always lose. ㅠㅠ

I hope that when I go to Japan, I can find some 祖父さん to play 囲碁 with!

Aratariel

4,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250

emensmansera

Dapper Shapeshifter

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 am
Il Bambino
User Image
Ever hear of the game GO?

OK, so that board is not mine, but oh well.
Anyone ever hear of this game? It's kind-of old, but my grandpa makes me play it with him when I see him!

It started out when I was around 7-8, I can't remember, but he taught me how to play, and it's a great game! Sort-of. He always beats me. >__<

But anyways, two summers ago, I spent a whole summer in Washington (that's where he lives, sadly I don't. :'( ) But we only had a really thin one, so we decided, "Why don't we build our own?" Because a nice one like the picture above, costs thousands of dollars.

So, we did it! Although, I can't really say it was fun... Me + Wood + Knive = something I don't want to face. D:

But once it was finished, it was fun. We still have the plastic stones that came from our old board, and they're sort-of small for the board, but to make real go stones, you need to make them out of shells, which is super expensive, so, I guess my Grandpa is saving for them. He's awesome.

Anyways, I felt the need to share this with you, because (I think) it's popular among the asian community; at least it was when my famiy lived in Japan, or atleast well known enough to know how to play.

EDIT: Actually, it is still popular! It's extremely popular in Korea! It's known as Baduk in Korea, Wei Qui in China, and "Go" in japan...I wonder if they just write the hiragana of that... hahaaha. So easy to write; two little lines with a quotation mark. hehe...

the quotitoasn are called tenten  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm
i've heard of the game, but havent played it...i dont even know the rules sweatdrop  

Swim47

9,050 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:12 pm
I've heard of this game, and seen it mentioned in anime a lot... but I've never actually played it before. Something I would definitely like to do.

Found this site about it. Might check it out later:

http://www.online-go.com/  
Extracurricular - Japanese Pop Culture

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces