Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
parents and Cons....what do they like to do? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadHatterzMouse

Magical Librarian

51,525 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:46 pm
Did start into conventions until I was old enough to go alone, and my mom doesn't understand these things (her words). My dad did come with me to a con near him, and kinda just stayed in the room the entire time.

But I have other parent stories too:
My friend's mother came with to help out at a convention and totally fell in love with steampunk and is making costumes, jewelry, and such in that area. She kinda likes all the interesting things she sees or finds at cons, so she is cool with it.

I have discovered some parents, who come with children under 18, at a few conventions end up helping out as volunteers. One woman came with her daughter and niece and helped keep an eye on the dance/rave that they were wanting to attend. The dad for one of the two girls I just mentioned came the next day and also helped out one of the depts at the con. There was another convention I worked that the father helped out badging at the door to main events and dealers while his kids were there.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:52 pm
Since the conventions I go to are only about 30 minutes away, my parents usually drive me and friends/sister. They don't get all the convention stuff...like exactly what we do and why we like to splurge money at the dealers' rooms...but enjoy seeing all the people cosplaying whenever they drop us off for the day.
They also find it funny to see me and my sister in our costumes, but, that's fine with me, as long as they're letting me attend cons.
I haven't really met any other parents of friends or parents in general that go to conventions or are into them.  

Calorline

Magical Conventioneer

7,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Conversationalist 100

MisaMaiValentine

7,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:36 pm
My friend's dad cosplays as Juriah...*shudders*....and my dad was debating making a 9 foot tall latex Godzilla suit but he changed his mind....but life is good lol  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 am
7dancer10
This was probably already posted....but ah well....I will ask anyways sweatdrop
For the first time,I am taking my parents and my little sister to a con. their knowledge of anime goes as far as knowing I waste what little money I have on it. So basically I want to know if anyone's parents go to cons with them...and If so, what events/panels/just things to do do they like?

Wow. That's cool I guess. I've brought my brother with me to Otakon a few times, and he didn't like it as much as I did, but I think it's because he personally didn't have a good time from negative circumstances. I also have been to a few conventions with a friend's family, in which the parents usually followed the kids around or wandered on their own. I guess my only advice is to make sure that everyone gets a chance to do what they want, and to split up if it's a huge group.  

HirotoSumi

Friendly Friend

36,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

buwieshingo

Durem Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:48 pm
User Image

Probably been a while since this thread was posted, but I figured I'd put my two cents worth in from the many years I've been attending with my mother, and one time with a friends mother.

My mother has been going to cons with me since I started going 6 years back. Except for my first time going to NDK, that year I went with my friends mother. My mother understands the con thing as she likes anime. So getting her to come with me wasn't a problem. The first con or two she was attached at my hip, because we really didn't know about the panels and what not so we went to the dealers room mostly. The next few cons after that my mother was more lax about letting me out of her sight. We agreed on where to meet and what time to meet at. I also had my phone on me or she had hers. Now whenever my mother attends a con with me, she buys a few things in the dealers room, checks out the artist alley, people watches in the main hallway or goes to some stores/malls or touristy places outside of the con.

My friends mother, she wouldn't let any of us out of her sight even though the three oldest of the 5 she brought with her were old enough to be by themselves. Plus she was more into the cosplay than the panels. Didn't want to spend the time she could be taking pics of cosplay at a panel. This was not a person I wanted to attend a con with and now I know for the future. If this sounds like a parent of yours or a friends parent, I highly reccomend you don't go with them or ask them questions on if they'll allow you out of their sight. And if so for how long. Or if they'll allow you to go to a panel.

Some helpful little tips:
1. If it's your first time at a con and it's your parents first as well and they are not to sure about your being into anime. Try to go to a smaller con, or one that is within it's first 5 years. The longer they are around the more of a crowd of otaku's they are going to have. And the more otaku's and cosplayers they have the likely chances of your parents not liking the con are going to go up.
-Also if it's your first time at a con, Please don't buy a full weekend pass. Especially if you don't either a) like it b) your parents don't like it or c)you can't attend for a full weekend. Most cons have a one day pass or a Saturday/Sunday pass you can purchase next to a full weekend pass. Normally the one day pass can only be purchased at the door, not through pre-reg. However if you do end up buying a full weekend pass and are not able to attend the con for the full weekend see if maybe one of your friends can go and give the pass to them. That way your money doesn't go to waste and they can go to the con for free.
2. If it's your first time at a con, and your parents don't give you pocket money to spend. DON'T beg them for everything you see. Look around in the dealers room first, do a circuit or two and really LOOK at everything on the tables. You might have missed some items that you like before. Once you know what you want, do ask your parents for them. If they tell you they can't buy everything, settle for a certain amount of items or certain items that you just can't leave con without.
3.If you've attended before and it's your parents first time. PLEASE warn them ahead of time of all the craziness that can and sometimes does happen at cons. Some examples might be: cosplayers who are either females or males kissing the same sex for "yaoi" pictures. I've seen more females do this one then males but males do do this from time to time, high pitched fangirl/fanboy squeals, rudeness (some con goers get so excited that they do forget their manners), this one is a very big must PLEASE do warn them of the scantily clad girls/women. As I have seen a lot of cosplayers in little to nothing but tape/clothing covering their breasts and genitals and not wearing anything else. Most cons do have a policy against this but many cosplayers find ways around this policy. However if your parents are unsure about a cosplayers outfit, tell them they can talk to the con staff about appropriate dress.
-ALSO if you plan to stay at the same hotel that the con is at, make sure you and your parents know were the closest emergency exit is, AND if your going to be in a panel/dance etc. tell them were to meet up outside in case of an emergency.
The con I attended two years ago had a fire alarm because of the smoke from the smoke machines in the DDR room. This was late at night. My mother had to track me down cause I had the room key. Don't let this happen to you as your parents won't like it to much that they can't get into their room. So please do set up a meeting place in an event like this.
4. If they are approached by con goers and are asked questions about anime and whatnot tell them it's perfectly ok to tell the person that they don't watch anime and that they are here for you. Most often than not they'll be left alone after that.
5. If they are generally comfortable with the con atmosphere ask them if you can leave their sight OR go to a panel while they go off and do their thing. Set up a time and or place to meet them afterwards. Please don't just ditch them and hang out with your friends or something. This is a good way to get them to either a) not let you attend a con again or b) be attached with you at the hip for the remainder of con.
-If they do allow you to go off and do your thing, please check in with them from time to time, by either checking in with them physically or sending a text or calling them. This is another way to let them know that your OK and not up in someones room getting raped or something.
6. Like someone else stated, go through the con program with your parents and decide on any panels or concerts you'd all like to attend. Try not to let it all be about anime. Or you can mix it up. Let them pick a panel or two and then you pick the next one or two panels.
7. The artist alley is a definite must to show your parents. They may not understand con, but I'm sure they'll understand that cons and the anime/Japanese culture allow artists to be artists. These artists don't necessarily draw nothing but manga/anime style, I've seen jewelry and steampunk to handmade plushies/stuffed animals. Plus it allows them to wonder around con without having to worry about the multitudes of con goers. Who knows your parents might start up a conversation with one of the artists wink
8. Tell them it's OK to talk to other random adults. Sometimes there are other adults there who are either a) not attending the con and have no idea what it is or b) their kids are attending the con and they are just as awkward and unsure as your parents are.
9. Do tell them that if they want to cosplay, either before you go or while your there, that it is OK to do it. Many people won't look at you funny for wearing a costume at con because it's con. If they ask for help on costumes, give advice and try to get them in a costume that either a) can be thrown together with whatever you have at home b) is easy to move around in c) they can use the restroom easily in and d)isn't too flashy. If your parent(s) want to cosplay it's a good sign they want to understand anime with you and that is a VERY good sign. But as always tread lightly wink
10. If your parents are just dropping you off at con, please do set up a time and a place for them to pick you up at, AND please do check in with them either by text or my calling. Yet again to let them know you are OK.

Remember what you read in the Con 101 thread that is stickied and take these helpful tips into consideration and you'll be fine wink

Because my Heaven is you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:38 pm
Raya Kioma
My mom is comming with me next year, but thats because shes helping me with my art table. I need someone to help me lug all my stuff around and watch my table.
She doesn't really like anime, but she likes Japanese Culture and she likes costume making.

My friends parents come every year because they love anime.
...sounds great right?
No. Its kinda creepy. gonk

My husband's mother is the same way, but she is the seller. She doesn't care for anime, but is cool with BBC and stuff.

I'm usually her minion at cons.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff