Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Help with needlefelting, please!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Needlefelting...
  Only with wool!!!
  Dog hair sounds neat^^
View Results

LittleMissMich

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:39 pm
Okay, so I rediscovered needlefelting. I saw a dragon on deviantart and fell in love all over again. I haven't bought anything yet; I know it'll be an expensive hobby. I still haven't finished using up my scrap yarn or the quilt I keep changing the pattern to. But I really want to learn more about needlefelting. I'm exploring the net, but I was wondering if there were any experienced people out there that could give me some advice on what to buy and maybe pros and cons, do's and don't's to the craft.

Could I use wool yarn and just take it apart?

I also read a book that had a surprise ending. It was about needlefelting little dogs, then at the end it had a section on using dog hair and showed and sheltie. I have a Rough Collie mix, so naturally I was intrigued by the new use I discovered for all her hair xp I thought about making a mini her and a mini Charlie(my sister's dog, Corgi/GSD) since my sister is in Afganistan right now and missing her baby.

So can anybody share their experience and knowledge with me please? I'll make sure to post pics of what I make. I'm crochting a squirrel right now, I'll post him once I add the final touches. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:20 am
you can felt any fiber that has the appropriate tooth. A hair follicle has little scales on it and depending on their shape they will or won't be able to grab onto each other. If you've ever brushed a dog and found a mat or ever dread locked your hair that's felting. As long as your yarn is 100% sheep then yes you can pull it apart and felt it most probably. Some yarns are treated to seal the follicle so it can't felt in the wash so if its "washable" then no luck.
For felting do hair you are going to want to get more of the soft under coat than the long guard hairs since they are designed to not felt.  

SilverPeacock

LittleMissMich

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:39 am
thankyou, Lady's hair is perfect for felting, it mats easy if i don't brush it.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games