Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply *♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*
How Do You Feel About OCs Being Main Characters in Fanfics?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Other Characters (OCs) in fanfics?
  No.
  Sort of. Only if they don't hog all the limelight!
  Fanfiction is about the series and the original characters. Leave it be.
  Yes.
View Results

XCynicalX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:09 pm
I'm currently working on this one fanfic and I've added some new characters who play major roles in the plot. I usually don't like OCs because I think the authors take them to the extreme and create "Mary Sues". ( A 'Mary Sue' for those who don't know is the character that is perfect in every way. They're killjoys). My characters aren't like that, in fact I strive to make them as imperfect as possible.

But overall, do you find it annoying that these random new characters come in? I do not plan to have any romance take place between my characters and the actual characters from the series.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:50 am
My opinion of OCs depends. Sometimes, I like them, sometimes I don't; it all depends on the fandom, and how the OCs are incorporated into the story. If the fanfic focuses mainly on canon characters, but OCs come in here and there as minor characters, I am usually okay with it. Romance between OCs and Canons usually annoy me, and if OCs kill off all the canons and become main characters, that annoys me too. But, if there are no canon characters but only OCs, and the OCs are not mary-sues and the setting/plot is still in the fandom, I am usually okay with this too. (But I would prefer if there were only OCs in that fanfiction, and not randomly-thrown-in canon characters since this would confuse me.)  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Marshmallow Crescendo

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 am
User Image
For me, its like a gray area. Mary-Sue's are horrible in every way, & they are always horribly written. But if an author puts in a reasonable amount of effort into their OC, it can still be an interesting read. I guess its really up to the author to prove their skill when creating their OC.
idk .-. its difficult to explain.
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm
Yes, I understand; it is hard to explain. xD  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

*♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers