Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
The Sims 2 raped my hard drive!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vilified

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:46 am
I have another computer, a PC, that I use just for Sims. Now every time I turn it on the blue screen of death appears, and I immediately have to turn it off. My hard drive wasn't even that old, maybe a year at the most. It had to be the Sims because that's the only thing I use that computer for. One day it was working fine, the next: BLUE SCREEN. I can't even operate in Safe Mode.

Also, before that, whenever I played the Sims the fan on my computer would run really loud. My dad said it was because Sims is a really lousy program with really high graphics, but I'm not sure. My base game is really old so I thought maybe that was the problem. The fan was loud enough to hear throughout my house, but it never effected the actual gameplay. It ran fairly well, actually. I did have a shitload of downloaded content. But it ran really loud even before I downloaded anything.

So I'm not sure what to do. I'm obviously going to have to use a new hard drive and my dad will have to rebuild it. I was thinking of buying The Sims 2 Deluxe, in hopes that it will run better than my extremely old Holiday Edition (Which is like over 6 years old.)

I'm just glad I have the luxury of having my own PC just for the Sims, I literally use it for nothing but the Sims. I call it my Sims Super Computer. I don't want to give up on it.

heart heart heart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:30 am
Did you even bother to clean out the fan first before blaming the game? If the fan's loud enough to be heard on the other side of the house, then something's wrong with it.

Maerua

Saint

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:21 pm
Yeah, fans should NOT make that amount of noise even if the game is straining them.
I got a new laptop a few months ago and I've already had to clean the fan out a couple of times but my last laptop I had for a few years never needed cleaning once. But it never made horrible fan noises either.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 pm
By chance, did you ever mess with the fan's settings via the BIOS level or such? Overclocking your computer can seriously screw up everything and can make certain programs look like the black sheep.

Otherwise, assuming your computer is at it's recommended specifications, did you ever download some of your custom content from seemingly unknown sites? Some of your downloaded CC could be infested with Trojans, viruses, or what not which could have gave you the BSoD.

I don't know what else could be causing this, so I'm sorry to say that I cannot help you any more than what I can only guess could be deteriorating your Hard Drive. I hope I helped you.  

Unknown-Figure1

Aged Gaian

1,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Vilified

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am
Well, I just cleaned out my computer with an air compressor which did an amazing job. The fan was rather dusty, and I think I inhaled a bit of it. *Coughs*

Thank you for your input, guys. I'm about to put in the new hard drive, luckily I had a brand new on lying around for whatever reason.
So we'll see if things go better.

I'm been really itching to play the Sims, again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 pm
Also, just throwing this out there;
The age of the disk doesn't really matter. My disks are old as dirt (I don't even remember when I got them) but they run just fine. The only reason age would matter is if it got too scratched up over the years, but if you take it to somewhere like Gamestop or other game stores they'll usually clean it up and try to fill in the scratches for you for a decent price.

Another issue may be space. Perhaps Sims is pushing the limit of your hard drive.

Anyhow, good luck to you. I hope you figured it out.

xe brat prince

Questionable Genius

Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces