Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Gun/iPod Fun

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:46 pm
So I got an iPod Touch for my birthday, and this thing is pretty neat. The Internet browser is really handy, and it works well as a music player (one would hope so, considered in the i-line's history). There's also a decent amount of gun-related Applications. One called "Gun Club 2" presents you with a collection of 3d-modeled firearms that can be actuated with the touch screen to load, chamber, and fire them. You even bump the side of the iPod to simulate the seating of a magazine.

Another, more useful, one is called "Small Arms" which gives you a database of 225 pistols, 96 assault rifles, 83 sniper rifles, 77 machine guns, 39 shotguns, and 31 submachine guns. Each listing gives you a left and right profile view of the gun in question, a short description of data (Country of origin, caliber, cartridge chambering, weight with empty magazine, length, barrel length, muzzle velocity, and capacity, though some have less or more of this information). There's also an auto-link to each gun's Wikipedia page (only usable if connected to a WiFi signal at the time) and a YouTube video (same). You can also add any gun to your list of favorites for instant access.

I am actually surprised I didn't find a ballistic calculator for figuring wind and bullet drop and such for long-distance shots. But still, good stuff.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 am
ArmasTermin
Another, more useful, one is called "Small Arms" which gives you a database of 225 pistols, 96 assault rifles, 83 sniper rifles, 77 machine guns, 39 shotguns, and 31 submachine guns. Each listing gives you a left and right profile view of the gun in question, a short description of data (Country of origin, caliber, cartridge chambering, weight with empty magazine, length, barrel length, muzzle velocity, and capacity, though some have less or more of this information). There's also an auto-link to each gun's Wikipedia page (only usable if connected to a WiFi signal at the time) and a YouTube video (same). You can also add any gun to your list of favorites for instant access.
Ooh, I'll have to find that one.

Quote:
I am actually surprised I didn't find a ballistic calculator for figuring wind and bullet drop and such for long-distance shots. But still, good stuff.
Link.

Also, don't forget SureFire's Shot Timer app. It works like an IPSC shot timer, although unfortunately it doesn't appear to give any kind of audible beep so that you know when the timer starts running.

I just bought a new MacBook and, because I ordered it on the student discount, got $200 towards any iPod, so I too got the new iTouch. I went with the 32GB one though... which one'd you get?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Quote:
Link.

Also, don't forget SureFire's Shot Timer app. It works like an IPSC shot timer, although unfortunately it doesn't appear to give any kind of audible beep so that you know when the timer starts running.

I just bought a new MacBook and, because I ordered it on the student discount, got $200 towards any iPod, so I too got the new iTouch. I went with the 32GB one though... which one'd you get?

Neat, I'll keep that app in mind for when I have a long-range rifle... and... somewhere to shoot it.

Mine is simply the 8GB version, which is fine. My music collection is pretty modest compared to some. The only thing I don't like about the iTouch is that I don't have constant access to a network connection like I would with the iPhone, which kind of makes me want one...

It's also neat that there's eBook applications. I used to read quite a bit, but not much in the last several months. But the ability to carry possibly hundreds (?) of books within my mp3 player for instant access to be used in any light situation is great. No more wedging a flashlight between my head and pillow to read at night, no more strained fingers from holding paperbacks open at weird angles. And any time I want a book, all I need to do is get in a WiFi spot and instantly download it for the price of the paperback version or less. No going to a store or waiting for shipping.

The first one I downloaded was Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power, which is so far proving to be a pretty great thriller. Basically some terrorists manage to take siege of the White House through a pretty well-orchestrated plan, but thanks to terrorist-a**-kicker Mitch Rapp, the secret service learns of the plot just in time and gets the President to the bunker. While the terrorists hold the White House filled with hostages and try to get into the bunker, the various government agencies work around the best way to get everything done and Rapp sets into motion the plan for taking back the White House. Well worth a read. All the special operations movements, military tools, and protocol is solid as far as I'm able to tell, except Flynn seems to keep referring to an MP-5 as an assault rifle, which might just be for simplicity toward the reader... Dunno.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:36 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Quote:
Link.

Neat, I'll keep that app in mind for when I have a long-range rifle... and... somewhere to shoot it.

Mine is simply the 8GB version, which is fine. My music collection is pretty modest compared to some. The only thing I don't like about the iTouch is that I don't have constant access to a network connection like I would with the iPhone, which kind of makes me want one...

It's also neat that there's eBook applications. I used to read quite a bit, but not much in the last several months. But the ability to carry possibly hundreds (?) of books within my mp3 player for instant access to be used in any light situation is great. No more wedging a flashlight between my head and pillow to read at night, no more strained fingers from holding paperbacks open at weird angles. And any time I want a book, all I need to do is get in a WiFi spot and instantly download it for the price of the paperback version or less. No going to a store or waiting for shipping.

The first one I downloaded was Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power, which is so far proving to be a pretty great thriller. Basically some terrorists manage to take siege of the White House through a pretty well-orchestrated plan, but thanks to terrorist-a**-kicker Mitch Rapp, the secret service learns of the plot just in time and gets the President to the bunker. While the terrorists hold the White House filled with hostages and try to get into the bunker, the various government agencies work around the best way to get everything done and Rapp sets into motion the plan for taking back the White House. Well worth a read. All the special operations movements, military tools, and protocol is solid as far as I'm able to tell, except Flynn seems to keep referring to an MP-5 as an assault rifle, which might just be for simplicity toward the reader... Dunno.
The 8GB one is the one they were offering free, so expect it to be replaced come September. That's how they work. My own music collection is about twice that size, and the 8GB model doesn't actually support a microphone, so that's why I paid for the upgrade to the 32GB model. I can now skype from my iTouch anywhere I have a WiFi signal. And yeah, it does suck to not have connection anywhere there's no WiFi, but this app makes it a little bit easier to survive.

I've never been much of an eBook guy, mostly because reading for extended periods on LCD screens makes my eyes burn, and I jumble what line I'm on much easier than I would with paper books, but I can definitely see the appeal.

Another fun app I just picked up the other day is Pinger TextFree, which allows you to pick a (semi-) local phone number and receive text at that number on your iTouch for free. So yeah, now Fres has texting. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm
Thanks, Fresnel, that texting app is perfect since I just lost cell service.

I had actually already downloaded the WiFi finder one. Haven't done much with it yet, but I'm sure it will make itself useful soon enough.

If anyone wants to text me, my TextFree number is 1-832-409-4749. Just mention who you are on here so I know who it is.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:46 pm
Oh, so apparently Winchester put out a free ballistic computer app, available here. That link redirects straight to the iTunes store, so you know. I haven't tried it out, but I suspect it should be pretty good.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:14 am
Well ********. I already paid for bulletflight. SON OF A WHORE.

Oh well, life is good. Gun Club, if I recall correctly, kinda sucked.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:10 am
Pripyat Dawn

Don't feel bad, it looks like the Winchester app only works on loads Winchester sells.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shrantic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:52 am
Fresnel
Pripyat Dawn

Don't feel bad, it looks like the Winchester app only works on loads Winchester sells.
I bought like, 50 winchester 20ga slugs.

Never again will I buy that many slugs until I find out if my gun likes 'em.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:16 pm
"Aux grands maux les grands remèdes."

I thought that this thread was about you using a GUN to shoot an IPOD.

Since they suck.

Because Apple made it.

Get it?

But seriously, I don't know about Touches or anything, but my iPhone sucks beyond all belief. I practically can't do anything with it, save for play the same 25 songs over and over and over again, compose text messages and emails, and place phone calls. Worst $200 I've ever spent in my entire life.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures."

Kuuhaku-shou

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:16 am
Chivalric Knight
"Aux grands maux les grands remèdes."

I thought that this thread was about you using a GUN to shoot an IPOD.

Since they suck.

Because Apple made it.

Get it?

But seriously, I don't know about Touches or anything, but my iPhone sucks beyond all belief. I practically can't do anything with it, save for play the same 25 songs over and over and over again, compose text messages and emails, and place phone calls. Worst $200 I've ever spent in my entire life.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures."
Have you tried, I'unno, downloading any apps? There's a damn good selection of free apps.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:21 am
I thought it was about this thing.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Want one just for the killcam when hunting.  

Man of the Demoneye

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 pm
Speaking of the iGun....  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:38 am
Well i had a ipod. till i broke it...Well it made good target pratice with the pin wheel.  

IDK WTF Im Doing

Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff