Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Cleaning Surplus Canteens

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shrantic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:32 pm
I've recently purchased a Chinese canteen from a surplus store. While the neck of this container is too small for me to clearly view the interior, I noticed on some others that there's sometimes some kind of caked-on s**t inside. Needless to say, I don't really want to drink out of something that's lined with an unknown substance, so, would any of you know how I could clean my canteen enough to be confident that it won't contaminate what I put in it?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:01 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

toilet brush... i kid you not... buy a small, clean, new one at a dollar store, and clean it to get the Chinese crap off of it ( xp ) and then ram it into the canteen and spin it around a bunch... i use one for cleaning any bottle things i need to clean xp  

Maddness91

Shrantic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:19 pm
Maddness91

toilet brush... i kid you not... buy a small, clean, new one at a dollar store, and clean it to get the Chinese crap off of it ( xp ) and then ram it into the canteen and spin it around a bunch... i use one for cleaning any bottle things i need to clean xp
What kind of solvent should I use?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:55 pm
Rocky Sassoon
Maddness91

Bleach. Ask Rommel, bleach will eat ANYTHING. I've heard of his experiments... steel wool in bleach turns into steel dust after a couple days. Also, disinfectant. If you soaked a turd in bleach for 12 hours, it'd be germ-free to the point of edibility. Though I wouldn't recommend that, as it's now soaked in bleach, but you get my point.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:53 am
also depends what it;s made of... if it;s aluminum, don;t use bleach... bleach eats aluminum fast... i would try soap and water first, then maybe bleach it if your paranoid...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:51 am
Fresnel
Rocky Sassoon
Maddness91

Bleach. Ask Rommel, bleach will eat ANYTHING. I've heard of his experiments... steel wool in bleach turns into steel dust after a couple days. Also, disinfectant. If you soaked a turd in bleach for 12 hours, it'd be germ-free to the point of edibility. Though I wouldn't recommend that, as it's now soaked in bleach, but you get my point.
xd If you're keeping tabs on experiments I do when I'm bored you have no life at all. xd

I'm not sure how well a toilet scrubber will fit inside the canteen. It might be a bad idea, but I'd rather put some sand in it with a little bleach or soap then put the cap on and shake it like Haiti. (too soon?) That would scrub it more efficiently. Then just flush with water as needed to clean everything out.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Shrantic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:29 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Rocky Sassoon
Maddness91

xd If you're keeping tabs on experiments I do when I'm bored you have no life at all. xd

I'm not sure how well a toilet scrubber will fit inside the canteen. It might be a bad idea, but I'd rather put some sand in it with a little bleach or soap then put the cap on and shake it like Haiti. (too soon?) That would scrub it more efficiently. Then just flush with water as needed to clean everything out.
Well, the canteen's aluminum. Anything softer than bleach but still effective?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:42 am
Rocky Sassoon
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Rocky Sassoon
Maddness91

Well, the canteen's aluminum. Anything softer than bleach but still effective?
If it's greasy inside dish soap can cut through grease pretty well. I still recommend sand for an abrasive if possible. As long as you don't use sand too many times that shouldn't scratch the inside too bad. Afterwards it would be a good idea to disinfect it. Hydrogen peroxide can disinfect it without the corrosive effects of bleach.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:17 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Bleach. Ask Rommel, bleach will eat ANYTHING. I've heard of his experiments... steel wool in bleach turns into steel dust after a couple days.
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:27 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Bleach. Ask Rommel, bleach will eat ANYTHING. I've heard of his experiments... steel wool in bleach turns into steel dust after a couple days.
User Image
By the way I mentioned I put some of my sisters cooking in pure bleach. Well it's been sitting there for over 3 months and it's only half dissolved. xd  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:48 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
User Image
By the way I mentioned I put some of my sisters cooking in pure bleach. Well it's been sitting there for over 3 months and it's only half dissolved. xd
It's probably hit the saturation point of the bleach. Cooking is organic, and bleach is basic, so it should have gone quick.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games