Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Mass Effect and Morality

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 am
So I finally replayed Mass Effect on the 360 (I had played it on the PC a while back, but wanted a save file for ME2), and I've just started ME2...

And let me say.

wtf was bioware thinking with the morality system in these games?

First of all, 95% of the time, whenever there's a "renegade" or "paragon" dialogue or action it's in the bottom or top right. Making it mind numbingly easy if you're intentionally trying to go one path for achievements or whatever.

Seriously, Bioware, I understand you want to present this game where you make the choices, but why make it blatantly obvious what is "good" and "bad" ? To further add to this nonsense, whenever there's a special dialogue tied in to morality (your charm/intimidate skill in ME1 or simply your paragon/renegade level in ME2) it shows up in bright blue or red. How much more obvious can you make it? This is literally as braindead as Fallout 3's [YOUR SPECIAL ABILITY THAT ACTIVATES THIS DIALOGUE HERE] nonsense.

As for Paragon vs Renegade itself, I often find myself scratching my head as to what exactly Bioware thinks a Paragon or a Renegade is. Half the time if you do Renegade actions, positive things occur. A quarter of the time the Paragon and Renegade special dialogues end up with the same result. Perfect example - In ME1, there's a human politician addicted to brain stimulants. Both your Paragon and Renegade special dialogues tell him to go to a drug clinic and get help. Both also award either Paragon or Renegade points. What on earth is so Renegade about telling a guy to get cleaned up?

I'm not completely sure how it is in ME2 yet, but I know for a fact that in ME1 that being a supporter of putting humans before other races is also "renegade". Any time you put down aliens or talk about how humans need to put their needs first, you're labeled "renegade".

According to how Bioware themselves describe renegades, you should only get the points for like... being merciless. Being unintentionally cruel, breaking the law for your own gain, etc. While you are sometimes presented with these options, most of the time you're branded a renegade whenever you use force to solve problems, or put human interests ahead.

Now I have no problem with being labeled "evil" in a video game. But when I'm labeled this for absolutely retarded reasons, I get kind of aggravated with the developers.

Honestly, they may as well label the two as "p***y" and "badass". I think that if you played the game pretending you were Han Solo, you'd end up as a "renegade".

Having said that, ME2 takes the stupidity a step further with the facial scarring nonsense. Just because my character's a badass the scars from being resurrected get worse? And if he/she is "good" they get healed faster?

Seriously. This is ******** stupid. I understand at least in games like KotoR your using the dark side of the force which, within the Star Wars canon can age you and make you look bad. And at least games like Fable have tons of magic and aren't very serious, making the horns/halos fit in.

But Mass Effect? This is supposed to be a serious "space opera" world, and you're putting stupid magic evil scars on my face? Absolute nonsense.

Hopefully Bioware learns from Dragon's Age (haven't played it yet but have read about it) and just simply remove the arbitrary morality system from ME3.

/rant.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 pm
tldnr xd

lololololololololololol bioware should change its formula a little and actually implement it with a set of moral skills(kinda like KOTOR?) with their crappy moral story elements.

I mean I killed the entire Rachni race in ME1 and no one cares. Hell if you kill Wrex you just get his brother to thank you in the ME2 and he runs the clans. WTF? I <3 Wrex and Grunt

Either way, ME3 will have multiplayer and we will see Transformers fight gargantuan Human Reapers cause you know they are in hiding somewhere in the galaxy waiting to fight the Reapers for the title "Ultimate Synthentic Race in the Milky Way"!!!!

Autobots! ROLL OUT!!!  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas