Reply Japanese language
Learning kanji

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

42applez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:43 am
So I stumbled on this wiki entry this evening while looking through some of my other study groups and decided to share.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji_kentei
I am currently working my way through the basic 2,000 kanji on my own time. (reading is a little more important to me than speaking for right now) The book I'm using lists the kanji in a "most frequently used" order which rather closely corresponds with this list as far as the first two tests that I have looked through. So I found this list to be very helpful.

I try to learn 4 a day. I write them out repeatedly while thinking of their pronunciations and meanings (like I did for school). I review them before learning new ones the next day.

So I'm wondering: anyone else studying kanji? And how do you go about it?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:57 am
I'm going at it pretty badly IMO.

Only using smart.fm and writing down 'mastered' terms on notecards and hanging them from my tables.

I learn through repetition though, so whatever.  

Father Harlot

Timid Phantom

8,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

BluJayWay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:32 am
I was able to buy a kanji workbook and I study it when I have leisure time-which, sadly, is very rare.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:57 pm
I looked though my notes the other day, man have I been bad at keeping up with the studying. Found a great game though, that i wanted to share,
https://www.msu.edu/~lakejess/kanjigame.html  

42applez

Shimakuwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:39 pm
You should see if you can find there are more common Kanji and learn those than go to those that aren't used as much? Or something.. like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 pm
I've being working on it for the past 4 years, though I have reviewed it lots and not being able to do it all often. I know officially 825, and unofficially a lot more.

It's a tricky and long process. I started learning by grade so that I could match my progress to Japanese children in school. I tried to find the motivation to allow me to progress in my studies. And I had to review a lot!

At first, I did a certain amount every so often. It taught me the basics, and allowed me to test my capability in memorizing and maintain information. I managed to do 30 a day. But My limit is about 100 per week if I have a lot of free time. Then I take a break for a bit after the grade is finished.

Doing even just 10 a day is helpful. Learn words with them so you can associate meaning and remember readings better. I found I have an easy time remember the reading if I know a word using the kanji. Also, because kanji share radicals or key parts, many of them share the same readings. Therefore, it's a lot easier to learn the kanji because you already know the readings. I was told Japanese do that too because even they can't recall 2,000 plus kanji.

Anyway, as you learn more kanji, you can learn more quicker because you already know the basic rules to correct stroke order and readings. Not to mention you'll pick up on vocabulary.

I just sit down with a pad of paper and learn 5 or 10 at a time and rewrite them and their readings multiple times for review.

Also, having actual books where you can read and use what you've learned will help you in learning Kanji.  

Mikagi-sama

1,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Tai Yukimura
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:50 am
Yea.. i do it the same way as you. study about 4- 8 a day practice the stroke order and copy ten times each. i think thats the best way along with every now and then make sentences to remind you of the meaning and just get familiar using it  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:54 pm
I use this. It's for the JLPT, Level 5. I'm not very good so far, and it's the easiest level. My way of studying is typing the characters into a wopuro, along with its English definition. Home-made flash cards also help ^^  

JoysterSM

42applez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 am
I found the most awesome online dictionary today.
http://jisho.org/
It even has a lookup by radical function. Super cool and easy to use.
heart  
Japanese language

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff