Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:23 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
I wouldn't use corrosive in a gas action, and I'd be wary to use it in blowback. You can boil a barrel, but it's hard to boil the entire gun. That's why I didn't mind firing 1946 surplus through the Enfield.
im sorry but that sounds like a huge contradiction

the ak series was originally designed to shoot nothing but corrosive ammo.
so were SKS's, SVD's,PSL's and SVT40's....

even M1 garands fired corrosive ammo. the US switched from using corrosive in military ammo in the mid 50's

note that they're all gas actions

the PPSH41 PPS43, TT33, CZ52, and Makarov fire corrosive ammo also, those are all blowbacks

also everything that was chambered for the corrosive 8mm mauser round was subjected to it as well, including the MG42 MG34, Gewehr41, and the huge series of bolt actions and other rifles chambered for the mauser cartridge...

most countries used corrosive back then and many still use it,
and I dont think any of them were worried about boiling a barrel by using it in their machineguns. that threat is nonexistent

its just a plus nowadays that the convenience of non corrosive ammo is more available for some weapons

the only harm it really poses is making it rust fast
First, note that those are all guns designed by governments for their militaries. Governments who can afford to throw money in the shitter buying new guns every time the old ones rust through. I am not a government with bottomless pockets, ergo I'd rather not rust out my guns shooting them. And automatic actions are far more difficult to clean than manual ones.

Second, by "boiling the barrel", I was referring to the method of cleaning corrosive salts out in which one pours boiling water down the barrel. Not actually boiling the steel during firing. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:08 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
I wouldn't use corrosive in a gas action, and I'd be wary to use it in blowback. You can boil a barrel, but it's hard to boil the entire gun. That's why I didn't mind firing 1946 surplus through the Enfield.

even M1 garands fired corrosive ammo. the US switched from using corrosive in military ammo in the mid 50's

the PPSH41 PPS43, TT33, CZ52, and Makarov fire corrosive ammo also, those are all blowbacks

also everything that was chambered for the corrosive 8mm mauser round was subjected to it as well, including the MG42 MG34, Gewehr41, and the huge series of bolt actions and other rifles chambered for the mauser cartridge...

and I dont think any of them were worried about boiling a barrel by using it in their machineguns. that threat is nonexistent

its just a plus nowadays that the convenience of non corrosive ammo is more available for some weapons

First, note that those are all guns designed by governments for their militaries. Governments who can afford to throw money in the shitter buying new guns every time the old ones rust through. I am not a government with bottomless pockets, ergo I'd rather not rust out my guns shooting them. And automatic actions are far more difficult to clean than manual ones.

Second, by "boiling the barrel", I was referring to the method of cleaning corrosive salts out in which one pours boiling water down the barrel. Not actually boiling the steel during firing. xd
that in itself isnt harmful at all.
I pour soapy boiling water all over the weapon,down the barrel, down the gas tube, over the carrier and bolt.

its not very difficult at all
it actually takes about as long to clean an ak74 it is to clean an AR thouroughly,maybe even less

also, theres a reason for chrome bores. corrosive ammo is that reason.
it's not going to corrode so long as you clean it. its not corrosive in the sense that it eats away the gun each time it fires, its only harmful if it isnt cleaned.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:44 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

I pour soapy boiling water all over the weapon,down the barrel, down the gas tube, over the carrier and bolt.

it actually takes about as long to clean an ak74 it is to clean an AR thouroughly,maybe even less

it's not going to corrode so long as you clean it. its not corrosive in the sense that it eats away the gun each time it fires, its only harmful if it isnt cleaned.
My point was that the gas system in gas guns and the other internal parts in blowback guns are NOT chromed, and tend not to resist corrosion as well. They're also much harder to clean as thoroughly.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

My point was that the gas system in gas guns and the other internal parts in blowback guns are NOT chromed, and tend not to resist corrosion as well. They're also much harder to clean as thoroughly.
easy enough to clean for me and most users of it.

its not as bad as it sounds. its only bad if you do nothing about it

I wanna say my 74 has about a little over 6000 down the pipe now, if it was going to show any signs of rust it would have done so by now. but because I clean it....no rust whatsoever.
a friend of mine put over 20,000 through his and no rust either,bore and everything is still fine. he was the one who got me into 74's in the first place.

I firmly believe this rifle is going to outlast me... even though i will be using more AK's in the future this one will still put the majority of my rounds downrange as a training weapon.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers