Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Picking Deities?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:14 pm
So I am considering joining the Neo/eclectic pagan coven.
I have been going to their rituals and classes from about a year now.

It appears to me that it is not required but that most members of this coven have their own sect of deities they follow which could be any sect that best matches them like Norse or Greek or Roman. But all worship the God and Goddess first and foremost which is who we call upon in circle.

Well anyway it makes me feel like its about the right time to pick my own sect of deity's I feel most comfortable and attached to and study them.

The problem is I have researched several from Hindu to Chinese to Greek and Egyptian. But I can't seem to find ones that seem to fit with me.

So my question is how did you find the right deities for you that is if you follow a certain sect at all?
Do you have any trouble finding the right ones for you? if so what did you do?

Please don't get the impression that I am under any pressure by the coven to pick a group of deity's to call my own it something I just feel like would be good right now for me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:42 pm
I didn't really pick my deities. They picked me. I had a really amazing spiritual experience and I'm still seeking to understand it. It might lead me to worship gods I haven't before.

I think the relationships we make with our deities are like making a friend more than picking out a new car or which outfit I'm going to wear. There's a "courting" process. whee  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:46 am
The word you're looking for is "pantheon".

Read lots of mythology, research different cultures, and when you find the right one it will click.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:06 am
I was also picked by my Goddess. In fact, I wasn't looking for a deity or interested in them at all when she found me. But she latched on and she's stuck around, even though I'm still not religiously active smile

Don't worry about choosing. If they want you you'll know it.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:09 am
Yeah, I've been searching for a long time, and recently, Thor's just kind of stuck with me. I agree with Sanguina; read lots of mythology.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 am
If there was ever a culture you liked, that would help a little, even if you don't know many of their myths. I've always liked the ancient Egyptians, so I chose them.  

Angel Bruja

surukio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:25 pm
mine chose me i have 2 different pantheons that chose, but read and learn and search both on mythology and ... technically within your self to see which resonates best  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:46 am
If you're really interested in worshiping a deity then I'd agree with Sanguina Cruenta that lots of research and reading would help you know which you are more comfortable and compatible with.

Generally speaking though, I'm really more of the mind set that the God(s/esses) choose or call you.

If you feel the need for your own pantheon, it might be worthwhile to ask yourself why in specific it matters to you. I mean just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right for you. Even if you do see you have strong personal reasons for a pantheon you should ask yourself why such a sudden push now and what's a realistic time line to find the right gods.

Anyway happy hunting.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Queen Alice_Knight

2,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 am
I personally feel closer to the Greek gods and goddesses. Like everyone else seemed to be mentioning, read some of the mythologies from different pantheons and learn about each of the gods and goddesses. My patron goddess actually chose me, not the other way around. I asked the gods to please show me my patrons, and then went in to a deep meditation, where Nyx revealed that she was my goddess. I am still searching for my god. Sometimes they just show themselves to you, in meditations, dreams, rituals. You just have to watch for the clues and signs.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:35 pm
some people get their deity through meditating. some get it through research and see who fits them best. some get it by whichever god or goddess pops up in their head the most vand that they feel connected too  

Cheetahs Wolf

citrusrose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 pm
How I found my deities was me being drawn to each particular one at each time. I recently started working with the Norse Goddess Idunn, Goddess of youth magic beauity and transformation. She has helped me alot,honestly no one can really tell you how to find them its different for everyone.
You will fond yours I wish you luck on your journey.

~hugs! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:48 pm
Read Read Read Read.

I started with the Norse-ish pantheons since I felt so much more connected to them. It turns out though that many of the European Gods and Goddesses (Germanic, Greek, Roman, Slavic) are connected to each other. I felt most connected with Freyja Ostara, but admit that she had been worshipped earlier in the world as Ishtar. Then there's also the goddess of pre-Indo-European Europe, but hardly anything is known about her.

If you're just lacking resources though... (these are mainly starter books. There's tons out there on these subjects)

Finnish Mythology : The Kalevala
Celtic Mythology : Celtic Myths and Legends by Rolleston
Norse Mythology: Prose Edda
Hittite Mythology: Hittite Myths by Hoffner
Sumerian/Mesopotamian Mythology: From Distant Days: Myths, Tales, and Poetry of Ancient Mesopotamia by Foster
Greek: Theogony and Works and Days -by- Hesiod =or= Iliad (or)Odyssey by Homer  

razielarcha

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:37 am
The the history of the world, there are a lot of repeating deities in different pantheons. That's because the idea and purpose traveled, but the people named them different names. Goddess is one Goddess with a thousand names. I don't remember where I read that but I remember it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:53 am
Dion Fortune, maybe? IIRC, she was the first to use the phrase "all gods are one God, all goddesses are one Goddess".

I still fervently believe that all those goddesses are different deities. Because how could Skadhi and Sigyn be the same? >.> I'm willing to accept that there are exceptions, local names for the same deities etc that get confused over time (for example, I'm sure some of Frigg's handmaidens are actually Frigg) and a few are adopted wholesale by other cultures and given names (which may, or may not, be the case with Artemis and Diana) but I don't think superficial similarities mean all goddesses are the same, or all love goddesses are the same or anything.

If nothing else, Aphrodite warmed to me right away and Freyja really really didn't >.>  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

BlackFoxAkujin

Dapper Fatcat

9,900 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:15 pm
I did a lot of studying up on a lot of gods and godesses, from all different cultures. In the end, it was mostly the egyptian ones that found their way into my life. Though I think it's good to have the knowledge about the deities, I think your connection would be stronger if you let them pick you instead of vice versa.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games