Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Friendly care package incoming! *Now upgraded!* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

090Freak090

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:06 pm
there is also the cocking piece (round piece that the firing pin and the long tab that points forward) that can be pulled back and turned counter-clockwise over the left lip of the receiver as a safety.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:40 pm
090Freak090
there is also the cocking piece (round piece that the firing pin and the long tab that points forward) that can be pulled back and turned counter-clockwise over the left lip of the receiver as a safety.

Yeah, I knew about the safety. It's hard to actuate, but good to have, I guess. I don't really ever plan to have it loaded unless I'm just about to fire it anyway.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:44 am
ArmasTermin
I've learned that the action of the firing pin being readied for firing is actuated by pulling the bolt up, and that bringing it to the rear only enables you to extract and eject. I always thought bringing the bolt back did all three actions. Remember I've had pretty much no extended interactions with bolt-action rifles.
I've never understood why Mosin did that. That kind of action is inherently difficult to open with such a heavy spring on it. The SMLE action grabs the cocking piece to draw back the firing pin in the last half-inch of closing the bolt. This gives you a full three or four inches of bolt throw to build up momentum. It's a bit hard to slowly close the bolt, but you can slam it home with no problem whatsoever. And aside from the trigger and firing mechanism, it involves three parts: firing pin, pin spring, and cocking piece. Simple, rugged, reliable, user-friendly. Brilliant.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:07 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
I've learned that the action of the firing pin being readied for firing is actuated by pulling the bolt up, and that bringing it to the rear only enables you to extract and eject. I always thought bringing the bolt back did all three actions. Remember I've had pretty much no extended interactions with bolt-action rifles.
I've never understood why Mosin did that. That kind of action is inherently difficult to open with such a heavy spring on it. The SMLE action grabs the cocking piece to draw back the firing pin in the last half-inch of closing the bolt. This gives you a full three or four inches of bolt throw to build up momentum. It's a bit hard to slowly close the bolt, but you can slam it home with no problem whatsoever. And aside from the trigger and firing mechanism, it involves three parts: firing pin, pin spring, and cocking piece. Simple, rugged, reliable, user-friendly. Brilliant.

I can see how the mosin bolt may be hard to use for the more "Traditional" shooter that uses his or her fingers to grab the bolt handle. However, I use a loosely open palm to "slap" the bolt up and back, then slap forward and down. When I let people shoot mine and I see them having trouble with the bolt I show them how to use there whole arm instead of just their wrist to cycle and they stop having problems  

090Freak090

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 pm
090Freak090
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

I can see how the mosin bolt may be hard to use for the more "Traditional" shooter that uses his or her fingers to grab the bolt handle. However, I use a loosely open palm to "slap" the bolt up and back, then slap forward and down. When I let people shoot mine and I see them having trouble with the bolt I show them how to use there whole arm instead of just their wrist to cycle and they stop having problems
You know, I honestly forgot that Mosins had straight bolts. It makes sense that way, I guess. You can't slap a bent bolt, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:16 am
Fresnel
090Freak090

You know, I honestly forgot that Mosins had straight bolts. It makes sense that way, I guess. You can't slap a bent bolt, though.
You may not be able to really slap it, but you can still use the open palm method to use more force in order to cycle the bolt.  

090Freak090

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:20 pm
Refinishing complete!

User Image

User Image

User Image

Mostly followed the directions on the Box O' Truth website, the section on refinishing Mosin stocks, along with a few things from YouTube videos and instructions on the finishes I used. I managed to get out some dings and scratches, pull away a bunch of the gunk soaked into the stock, and used some steel wool to polish out the bolt handle and some of the exposed surfaces of the bolt. Looks pretty as hell, and I'm kind of surprised it turned out so well, being my first work on refinishing wood. Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:40 am
Wow, that looks really, really good. I'd be damn proud to call that rifle mine, were I you. I was dreading what you'd done to it when I opened this page, I was expecting this:

User Image  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:44 am
Fresnel
Wow, that looks really, really good. I'd be damn proud to call that rifle mine, were I you. I was dreading what you'd done to it when I opened this page, I was expecting this:

User Image

Thanks, there are a few parts I'm not so proud of, that I wish I'd done better, but all in all I like how it turned out, especially for a first attempt. Would have touched up the bluing in some places if I'd had any of that stuff. I now have no reservations about buying "beat up" guns, so long as they work.

He he, did you make the picture? xd  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:52 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

User Image

Thanks, there are a few parts I'm not so proud of, that I wish I'd done better, but all in all I like how it turned out, especially for a first attempt. Would have touched up the bluing in some places if I'd had any of that stuff. I now have no reservations about buying "beat up" guns, so long as they work.

He he, did you make the picture? xd
I've got a bottle of cheap bluing stuff... tried it once, didn't work too well. Just ended up turning the silver steel slightly green. Also, bluing is a form of oxidation, and will eat through the edge of a knife, dulling it. The more you know, I guess.

Haha, no, I found it on /k/ and couldn't stop laughing. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 am
Fresnel

User Image

Brings a whole new meaning to the expression "I'd tap that!"  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas