Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Meeting of the gods

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:41 am
Okay...I need a little historical schooling before I lay down my theory:

Is it historically accurate that the old Germanic Norse tribes (who worshiped the Norse pantheon) fought with the Celtic tribes (who worshiped the Celtic pantheon)? If so, through the legends of both sides (I think), wouldn't their gods have fought also? I heard somewhere that when people of opposing religions go to war, their gods go to war also. Wouldn't that mean the the Norse and Celtic gods would have met, and, by their own standards, kind of become buddies?

I don't know. Someone help me; I don't have a lot of time to do historical Wikipedia searching today. I'm sure there are history buffs in this guild, yes?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:32 am
Afro-Dawg
Okay...I need a little historical schooling before I lay down my theory:

Is it historically accurate that the old Germanic Norse tribes (who worshiped the Norse pantheon) fought with the Celtic tribes (who worshiped the Celtic pantheon)? If so, through the legends of both sides (I think), wouldn't their gods have fought also?
There isn't really one Celtic pantheon. There are a few- and that doesn't include gensis loci on either side.

Quote:
I heard somewhere that when people of opposing religions go to war, their gods go to war also. Wouldn't that mean the the Norse and Celtic gods would have met, and, by their own standards, kind of become buddies?

There are Greek myths where certain gods picked sides- but I don't think this is a widely held belief about all gods.

There are some people who say that the Vana and Asa fought and that was a tribe verses tribe war- but I don't know if there is history to prove that was right either.

I'd say no, but that's because there's no record of it happening on a grand scale. Battles within group, sure- but not between peoples.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Scorpy-Sue

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:12 pm
Okay, thanks! I wish they taught us more about European ancient history in America; while Greeks and Egyptians may have influenced Western culture a ton, what with democracy and paper, most of us came from Western Europe (which does include Greece...but most of us are like, German and Irish in ancestry, at least from what I've experienced of Americans).  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:10 am
Afro-Dawg
Okay, thanks! I wish they taught us more about European ancient history in America; while Greeks and Egyptians may have influenced Western culture a ton, what with democracy and paper, most of us came from Western Europe (which does include Greece...but most of us are like, German and Irish in ancestry, at least from what I've experienced of Americans).

Different cultures settled regionally. Depending on what part of the States you live in, you get different mixes.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Scorpy-Sue

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:40 am
Esiris
Afro-Dawg

Different cultures settled regionally. Depending on what part of the States you live in, you get different mixes.
Wisconsin. I dunno, I just think it's obnoxious that we only study Greek gods in school. I mean, a few of the Norse gods gave us our days of the week, but no one will tell you that in high school. It's silly.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 am
Afro-Dawg
Wisconsin. I dunno, I just think it's obnoxious that we only study Greek gods in school. I mean, a few of the Norse gods gave us our days of the week, but no one will tell you that in high school. It's silly.
I actually learned that in high school. sweatdrop  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Scorpy-Sue

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:38 pm
Esiris
Afro-Dawg
wat.

Lucky. Of course, I went to the public high school where they allowed a Bible Study club and not an LGBT club.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:27 pm
Afro-Dawg
Esiris
Afro-Dawg
wat.

Lucky. Of course, I went to the public high school where they allowed a Bible Study club and not an LGBT club.

The roots, prefix and suffix of our vocab words were part of the English classes I took.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Scorpy-Sue

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:26 pm
Esiris
Afro-Dawg
Esiris
Afro-Dawg
wat.

The roots, prefix and suffix of our vocab words were part of the English classes I took.
We only studied Latin and Greek roots and such. You'd think the origins of the days of the week would be important to learn. D:  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:59 pm
Afro-Dawg
We only studied Latin and Greek roots and such. You'd think the origins of the days of the week would be important to learn. D:

Public schools have to choose what they teach. Otherwise we'd never graduate!  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Scorpy-Sue

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:14 pm
Esiris
Afro-Dawg

Well, yes. But teaching the origins of the days of the week would take like...ten minutes.

I don't know. I just feel shafted by my high school education.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 pm
Afro-Dawg
Esiris
Afro-Dawg

Well, yes. But teaching the origins of the days of the week would take like...ten minutes.

I don't know. I just feel shafted by my high school education.

Different high schools do better jobs than others.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Scorpy-Sue

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 pm
Yeah, I've noticed.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games