Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
A Book Review; The Shining

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kitykin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:25 pm
Being that this is a literature subforum, I thought maybe I'd start up a little book review thread. For now, let's talk about the Shining, shall we?

Even if you're not a fan of Stephen King (INFIDEL scream ), or of the macabre/horror genre this book is still, in a few words, freak-a-'liciously awesome. A perfect blend of tasteful vulgarity (?), pure horror, and enough suspense to stop your heart. You'll wonder how you ever lived without reading it.

Most of the story takes place in the Overlook, an almost constantly snowed-out hotel high up in the mountains. Our friend Jack Torrence is a struggling father, drunk, and writer, who offers to care-take the Overlook over the winter.

Daniel Torrence, Jack's son, is a gifted boy with the power to see into people's minds and things that just aren't supposed to be there.

Wendy Torrence is Jack's ill-begotten wife, mother to Danny, and feeling a bit jealous of Jack and Danny's close relationship.

Terror runs high when, after being secluded from the outside world by a snow storm, Jack starts being posessed by the ghosts of the Overlook's past. Danny sees nasty apparations awild, and it all culminates in a final showdown between the hotel, Wendy, Jack, d**k (The cook), and Danny.

It's a great read, a tad long, and maybe not suited for a younger audience. (I can talk =P) Still, it is worth a peek and your time.

And that's all I have to say about that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:50 pm
I have to agree. I took a good long look at the book and jumped around a bit. It was a tad profane. Excuse my language but I think he used the word p***k a tad much and I thought the dog character somewhat acted like a ***** when he said a certain thing that is not aloud to be said in forums and I think guilds as well. So far I would give the book a 7/10. Mr.King did a quite reconisable job on The Shining although I still have yet to see the movie the book was entertaining. As you said earlier I wouldn't recomend that kids who make a big deal of profanity and are younger than 10 years old read this book unless they have a maturity level that exceeds their age group.  

SpawnXFallen

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:53 am
Redrum... Redruuuuuuuuum...  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:21 pm
Stephen King surrounds me... I'll have to do The Shinig next, then, because this is the second great review (of two reviews). Thank *insert deity here* that Firestarter isn't pure torture.  

La Diavola

I am Jaques colon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:52 pm
While I've never read the book, I've seen the King-endorsed movie (made for T.V....King was rather upset with the theatrical one, if I understand) and loved it. I know King to be a wonderful writer, and I'm currently doing my best to plow through the Dark Tower books...I'm up to Wolves of the Calla, Book 5.

This book review thread is rather refreshing, perhaps I'll start up one myself.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:29 am
SPOILERS

In comparison to the movie, it goes much further into the lives of the characters, which helps explain their personalities a lot more [Wendy's meek disposition, why she doesn't leave him sooner]. Also, I like that Halloran doesn't die in the book. Besides, the book also makes more sense in the fact that Jack is posessed by the hotel, as opposed to just going stark raving mad.  

Silver and Silence

Aramethea

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:31 pm
The Shining is by far one of my faves. (The Stand comes first, of course.)
I, along with many others, really despised the cinematic version. Kubrick took a bit took much creative license with the story. (The twins in the hallway and the blood-gushing elevator? Not in the book....) Then again, not many of the King film adaptations have been any good. The only stand outs are Misery and The Dark Half.

However, the topic here is the book. I'll admit I first read it when I was about 14, and I skipped over a lot of it. I read Carrie at 12, and I expected it to be like that. Then I read it again a year later. That time, I was hooked. Could not put that book down.

For me, the family dynamic was more interesting than what was happening to Jack, Danny and Wendy seperately. Not to say that what they each went through wasn't interesting. But I was compelled to keep reading by the fact that they wanted so desperately to be a normal family - just be together and be happy, away from all the problems and starting new. The slow dissolution of that familial fantasy, easy and insidious, is what ultimately keeps you reading. Note how Wendy continues to try to keep it together, in effect taking over Jack's role of provider and protector. Yet she still stands by him until circumsatnces will no longer allow it. Personally, I think what happened in the Overlook, it's history of blood and violence, is merely a backdrop to a story of disfunction, disillusionment, and ultimately despair. (I know that's alliterative. Sorry.) Because it is despair that drives Jack to Colorado with his family. It's despair that allows the hotel to work on him, to drive him to do what he does to his family. Wendy's despair (and maternal guilt) keeps her in that marriage for her son's sake. And Danny? Danny is desperate to know that his father really does love him, will really protect him, does approve of him. That's how The Overlook gets Jack, really. It uses his son.

Sorry for the long treatise, but I am a huge fan of King and I am passionate about his work.  
Literature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games