Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Please, somebody, help me find a decent MMO! D=

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Enesuto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 am
Why is it so hard to find a decent MMORPG? I mean, just ******** look at these games. They're carbon copies right down to the trailers. The trailers simply showing characters running around in high-level armor carrying high-level weapons just... ********... running! That's their entire selling point! Sometimes in groups. Every now and then they'll swing their sword at something. With the most bland, light-hearted, over the top anime music playing in the background.

I don't want to have to sit through an army of fetch quests and "go kill x number of this", or hours of grinding to get to anything half decent. All I've ran into are clones of this exact same formula. It literally becomes work, where you practically have to earn the right to have fun. I'd just like an exciting MMORPG that I can play just for the sake of having some fun.

The only game that was fun was Jade Dynasty, and I have no clue why. I'd chalk it up to the fact that it was one of the few games I talked my girlfriend into playing, and we were sorta forcing it.

Now, please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean to bash, I sincerely don't. Believe it or not, as some one who spends most of his time customizing and planning everything in his games regardless of genre, I understand the appeal of these games. But they limit every MMO to being the exact same thing every god damn time! Is there no end to the madness?!

edit: I was going to say that Champions Online was fun for me, but I'm not exactly counting that, as it's P2P. But I'd settle for a demo at this point. Just to pass the time for some games to release this October.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:57 pm
If you have a better computer you could take a shot at the Final Fantasy XIV beta that went up recently.

The game takes some anti-grind measures, has the most flexible class system I've seen(your weapon decides your class) and encourages doing things that aren't grinding like crafting and questing.

Basically the complete opposite of XI.  

Cybylt

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:54 am
You could try Soul Master. It's a game that combines your typical MMO elements with some RTS elements, which makes it quite different from your typical "carbon copy MMOs". Beyond that, it's fun to play, and the only heavy grinding you'll need to do is for top-end PvP gear. Speaking of PvP, it's fun, challenging, and mostly balanced (although it's not really that hard to balance the 3 classes they have out, I guess, but more will be coming). The cash shop does offer some advantages to paying players, but it's not really a "pay-to-win" game despite that.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:00 pm
World of Warcraft is your only option for a decent MMO.

UNLESS. you want a non traditional MMO like Eve Online.  

nitnit
Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces