Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Is Darkness and Ice scientifically retarded elements?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Enesuto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:55 am
Electricity is reasonable. Light makes sense. "Life energy" was actually seen as a basic element by a lot of people, and is closely related to chi, which has been scientifically tested with repeatable results.

Fire is created by generating heat. Your surroundings supply the fuel. Fire is also a form of light, so one could argue that a person who controls fire is controlling light and heat.
Water, I guess you're moving water molecules.
You could argue that one can control air because they can control the atoms that make up gases. Then, one could argue that a person who controls air can potentially control matter itself, but to a very limited extent.
I couldn't care enough to explain earth, but I'm sure some one's willing to.
"Life" is closely related to chi energy, which has been studied with repeatable results. Don't ******** know how.
Electricity is a form of energy, and I think closely related to the whole "life energy" thing. Again, donno how to explain it, but reasonable enough for now.
Light, again, kinda lost, but I guess you're just guiding where light goes. Which should be pretty harmless, and a very retarded and pointless weapon, as far as my understanding for science goes.

Unlike fire and light, having ice or darkness as an "power" would require the lack of something, not the addition or control of something. Therefor, you'd be controlling nothing. You could argue that you'd be controlling a void, or something like a black hole. But you're not controlling darkness or ice.

You could argue that you're controlling the atoms of water, turning it into a solid, but would that make it ice, or petrified water? There's also the possibility that you're just raising (or lowering, I forget which) the viscosity of liquids to make it more like ice, but that still isn't ice, is it?

And if some one can "control" darkness, they're really only controlling where light isn't going.

And if some one creates fire by controlling heat, they could potentially freeze anything by removing the heat. If that person happens to be able to control water, you could dictate the form of the water before it's frozen.

I donno. What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:57 am
I think ice can be "throwing huge chunks of frozen water around", but darkness really doesn't make that much sense. Unless you're controlling some form of anti-light matter/energy that serves only to absorb light... Also, if you control cold in general rather than just ice, then that's weird too.  

darkslasherX
Crew

Cybylt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 pm
Not so much weirder than controlling light and heat, which would be fire, making electricity and light itself subsets of it since electricity could be an advanced state of it as a means of light and heat.

Life Energy is too vague and is only merely connected to "light" through conventional understanding. And if "light" is the creation and distribution of life energy then "darkness" is the taking of it.

In a similar aspect to electricity, ice is a subset of water. The difference being one is magnifying the force of it through magnetism while the other is the subtraction of its heat.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:40 pm
I'm waiting for one of these big-budget RPGs to use LOVE or something as an "element" lol.

Apparently a "Chrono Cross" is an element HAHA  

The_Hbot

5,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

rutarete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:17 pm
interesting.
anyway, when you think of an element, do you think of an already-combined group of elements or what each element is separately?
ice is like an alloy of elements. while darkness... well... i don't know
or... darkness could be theoretically controlled based on the fact that 'darkness' is just light on the spectrum we don't see  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:47 pm
The_Hbot
I'm waiting for one of these big-budget RPGs to use LOVE or something as an "element" lol.

Closest I've seen to that is Valkyria Chronicles where the main couple gain the buff "The Power of Love" when they were close enough to each other. Gave an insane attack and defense boost.

Also racism was a defense debuff.  

Cybylt

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:47 am
Yes, when in the presence of the other elements that are provided, these elements make no sense. However, they were just added to balance out the powers. Sure, this is not what you were talking about, but just saying.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:51 am
Re-looking through, you can see Darkness as a negative light control, manipulating the light, or lack thereof, to influence. Perhaps a better name would be Gravity, but too many associate it with Earth for it to be effective in any change.

Looking at Ice, it is agreeable it makes little to no sense off the bat, but if you think about the qualities of ice, you have to pay attention to the fact that it plays a role as cold, better known as lack of heat. While it can fit into a Water category, the factor that allows it to maintain its low temperature and its shape make it note-worthy. For example, in Pokemon, while water may not seem to do much damage to Grass, Ice is super-effective..  

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 pm
dracokagebuyo
Re-looking through, you can see Darkness as a negative light control, manipulating the light, or lack thereof, to influence. Perhaps a better name would be Gravity, but too many associate it with Earth for it to be effective in any change.

Looking at Ice, it is agreeable it makes little to no sense off the bat, but if you think about the qualities of ice, you have to pay attention to the fact that it plays a role as cold, better known as lack of heat. While it can fit into a Water category, the factor that allows it to maintain its low temperature and its shape make it note-worthy. For example, in Pokemon, while water may not seem to do much damage to Grass, Ice is super-effective..

The thing about cold, though, is that it's just the lack of heat, so that puts it in the same bag as darkness (lack of light). Maybe even worse, since if you can expel heat from things, why wouldn't you be able to move it elsewhere?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm
darkslasherX
dracokagebuyo

The thing about cold, though, is that it's just the lack of heat, so that puts it in the same bag as darkness (lack of light). Maybe even worse, since if you can expel heat from things, why wouldn't you be able to move it elsewhere?

Yeah, but the same could be said for fire. If you could attract heat to a certain point, doesn't that mean you pull it away from another area?  

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200

rutarete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:38 am
darkslasherX
dracokagebuyo

actually, i disagree about darkness. Darkness is not the lack of light, but rather the light we don't see. all in all, just part of the spectrum  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm
rutarete
darkslasherX
dracokagebuyo

actually, i disagree about darkness. Darkness is not the lack of light, but rather the light we don't see. all in all, just part of the spectrum

That point can also be made: visible as compared to invisible light. However, wouldn't that also give Light the power of Darkness per se?  

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:40 am
Maybe game designers have it all wrong, and most elements should really be in pairs: fire/ice (heat/cold), light/darkness, life/death, etc.

Also, grammar nazi moment: The topic title should be "ARE darkness and ice scientifically retarded elements".  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:09 pm
darkslasherX
Maybe game designers have it all wrong, and most elements should really be in pairs: fire/ice (heat/cold), light/darkness, life/death, etc.

Also, grammar nazi moment: The topic title should be "ARE darkness and ice scientifically retarded elements".

That's too broad a generalization. Some actually realize that and use that. The problem are the influences one elements may have on another like earth to fire.  

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items