Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wolf God Moro

Beloved Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:27 pm

["We‘ll meet again in the afterlife…"]

Rant: (Feel free to skip this part for the bottom lol.)

So I'm in a guild where our Guild Leader doesn't do s**t.
He sits around ranting about his sad life about his gay job and how he doesn't have a wife and all he does is have sex with chicks on the weekends. When it comes to raiding, he lets the officers (me and a few other peps) lead the raid and all he does is distribute loot. I mean, YOUR THE GUILD LEADER, do something other than wanting to get dragged around on your dps that sucks.... He has a tank spec, but he usually whines and complains for other people to go tank, so naturally to get him to stop being emo and complaining one of the officers goes tank. He has a dps that has dual spec, but its a dps/dps spec for ele/enhance shaman. He won't take any major part of the raid - tanking or healing because "Its too hard." When it puts in for a strategy he doesn't even know that game mechanics of the fight... nor has he read up on the fight or even watched it on youtube or anywhere else. The officers can't always be responsible for covering his a**.....

SO! What kind of leadership is your guild under?
Is it always your fearless GM leading the way or do a few other officers help out?
Is your guild system fair and justified?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 pm
Sounds like you need to find a better guild. sweatdrop

My GM/Co-GM, and us officers all contribute to the raid. However its the GM that does most the leading. With an iron fist. Mess up people get yelled at and told to suck less and blah blah blah. ><

Taiyono Seishin

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:20 pm
My guild has like eight officers.

I do recruitment. I'm pretty much the only one who does it because the rest of them kind of suck at it. And that's pretty much all that I do other than give my opinion.

The rest of them sort of share jobs. There are two or three who know how to do DKP, two or three who usually do master looter, two or three who raid lead, etc. Not necessarily at the same time of course, just that there are a couple people who can handle each thing because most people do not have 100% attendance.

The GM is not lazy, but he is not power hungry either. It's a good balance. He does the loot distribution and raid leading mostly.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:44 am
When I used to run a guild, I was the fearless GM leading the way (Some of my officers even addressed me as "Fearless Leader"). Though, we were chiefly a World PvP guild, which by itself requires a leader and members with some brass balls.

A GM's gotta get the job done, though. They've gotta want to get the job done. They've gotta need the job done by whoever can do it, and if they've got to be ready to do a job themselves if there's nobody else to do it.

I had a few close officers, but they were mostly advisors. I took care of attack planning, discipline, and even recruitment for the most part by myself.

I ran the guild with kind of a heavy hand. Those who didn't listen to orders were left behind, and those who were disrespectful were kicked out. It worked, though. I only needed to kick out two people and my members, for the most part, would follow me straight into the mouth of hell, cheering all the way, and ask me "What are our orders" once we reached the other side.  

Timeenforceranubis

Saint-Stanislaws

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:48 pm
Is this guild still active? lol  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:37 pm
Taiyono Seishin
Sounds like you need to find a better guild. sweatdrop

My GM/Co-GM, and us officers all contribute to the raid. However its the GM that does most the leading. With an iron fist. Mess up people get yelled at and told to suck less and blah blah blah. ><

["We‘ll meet again in the afterlife…"]

Sounds better than not having any leadership and for the officers to scramble to figure out what to do next. neutral

And yes, I do need to find a better guild. I just hate leaving behind all the friends I've made in the guild and I mean you can't find a better bunch to raid with. I doubt the others will leave, so its reason enough to stay until the guild implodes.

Wolf God Moro

Beloved Gaian

Taiyono Seishin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 am
Toxidia

I doubt the others will leave, so its reason enough to stay until the guild implodes.

I can understand that. Main reason I'm still in the guild I'm in. Good leadership and such but is going nowhere. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 pm
My guild has seven officers and a guild master. We split up duties so that no one is overwhelmed. No one wants to make the game feel like a second job.

Allow me to use my guild and our set up as example. Our guild, Dark Legacy on Lightbringer, is quite large with about forty active members that are raiders and several more that are non-raiders. A guild of this size is rather required to have the work spread out so that people will not feel overwhelmed. Our breakdown of responsibility is as follows:

-Saedere is the guild master and handles in-game disputes between members, makes decisions on who to place in the raid, and he has final say on any officer panel decision regarding the guild. He also manages the guild bank.

-Tanuki is the main raid assist target and is in charge of taking proper attendance for raids.

-Blaedes is a performance evaluator, there to watch new initiates and older members alike to make sure they're up to snuff. It's not all about what the damage meter reads. He is also the DPS lead.

-Ibbey is our raid leader through thick and thin. What he says goes in regard to direction and strategy of any particular raid. He is also the tank position leader.

-Youko is our recruiting officer. She handles new initiates incoming and helps them integrate into the guild properly. She assists Blaedes in our evaluations.

-Shadkiller is back-up raid leader and assists Youko in filing applications.

-Luncelas is healer leader and assistant raid leader.

-I, Mauryanna, am the socialization leader. It's my job to make sure the name of my guild is not tarnished in our server's community through poor action or inaction of our members and organize 'fun runs' like GDKPs for ICC, alt runs in ICC10, and a weekly Ulduar 25 hardmode run. I also keep the guild's DKP.

Now, it depends on the size of your guild and the seriousness of raiding that your guild's mentality has as to the severity of your guild leader's faux pas. Are you all about downing Lich King heroic? Or have you yet to obtain a Kingslayer 10 man? The more serious the guild, the more work there is to do and the more the guild leader should partake in that work.

Regardless, the guild leader, and officers for that matter, should be setting an example for their raiders. We are their leaders. We should be able to fill any role our class of choice requires us to fill to help the raid. While discussing troubles in our real lives is certainly acceptable, especially if the guild members are particularly close, it is not acceptable in any way for the leader of the guild to behave as yours does. He is not a child. He is supposed to be acting like a leader.

I concur with advice already given. Find yourself a new guild that fits you better.  

Shimmer Matataku

Fuji_hobo_jacket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 pm
When I actively raided my guilds set-up was something like Loriens set-up.

My guild leader was some guy who owned a farm in the midwest in his early 40's, and was by far the oldest member in the guild, compared to the rest of us college/high school kids. So he was more or less unanimously agreed upon to be in charge of the administrative side of things, such as keeping the guild website up to date, looking at new applications, advertising to get members, keeping the guild bank organised and yada yada yada

The officers- myself, my brother, and 3 others- handled the raid related tasks. We would switch off who was doing what depending on who showed up, because we weren't very serious about raiding and we just liked going at our own relatively snailish pace. But usually, 2 people would split leading the raid and memorizing the fights, and they'd switch off on the boss fights. Another would be in charge of DKP and loot distribution. The 4th was in charge of watching the raid to make sure there was no major idiocy- some idiocy was allowed to keep things fun and funny. And the last officer was usually just in case someone had to leave, or someone didn't show up, kind of as a buffer to make sure we always had enough lead positions filled to run a raid well.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 am
Our guild leader leads an ICC10 on Tuesday night, or rather did until people stopped showing up for it. Now they just do the weekly.

It's a raid night that most of the better raiders in our guild don't go to, even on alts, because he takes anybody who's a guildie, and on a first-come-first-served basis. Usually leads to nights where they sometimes don't even get the first wing down.

A couple of the officers in our guild - including my dad - lead ICC10s on other nights, notably Thursday and Saturday.

The Thursday night raid usually gets 4-6/12 down. The Saturday night raid, led by my dad, usually gets 7-8+ down, but still haven't cleared the whole thing. DPS was an issue on Sindy.

Edit: As for mechanics of how the leadership operates...

There's the officers, who handle issues among members where they can, sometimes including gkicks. Then above them are the Council, who decide the more important issues. Above them is the Lord, our guild leader, who is the final say of the Council.  

Pouncey

Pinny Nickels

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:53 am
Ugh I hate seeing guilds like this. There's this guild called Anzacs on Eitrigg... and I hope someone from Anzacs reads this because serious ******** your guild. The guild leader goesn't really lead but she has this d**k-in-a** jackoff call all the shots. He never knows what he's talking about, isn't open to suggestions, etc etc... I think they only have so many members because of their raiding times.

Anyway, when I lead my own guild I pretty much did everything. I started from scratch, recruited members one by one, explained all the fights to the newbs, raised them, master looted, organized the groups, etc etc. It became too stressful; especially when people used my efforts as a stairway into the big raiding guilds.

So I reunited with my favorite guild on Eitrigg (The Metal Militia), and brought the rest of my guild with me. In TMM, pretty much anyone can become an officer and 5-10 people all help lead. It works out really well... everyone's brain gets used and no one person has the entire workload. =)  
World of Warcraft

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games