Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
The only thing I'm worried about for Black and White...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crimson Hagane

5,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:58 am
What starter am I going to pick? Do I pick the Grass-type snake that's based around Speed with good defenses and mediocre attack stats, the Fire-type pig that becomes the only dual-type with both attack stats high and everything else on the "meh" side, or the otter that turns into some incarnation of science with a stat distribution similar to the pig's? (Both attacks are the two highest, HP is third highest. The otter has less in the attack stats but defenses and Speed are higher.) All three have a base stat total of 528.

For the record, when I'm mentioning their stats, I'm referring to the stats of their respective fully-evolved forms. I'm thinking of going with the snake so far, but I don't really know.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm
Probably the snake. Grass-type kinda sucks, but it can be a fast, semi-bulky subseeder, and it can set up with coil (+1 atk, def, acc) if it gets a few turns. It might have other niche uses too, but I can't think of any (I thought about gyarados counter, but gyara is faster after a single DD so it can't be taunted.)

Fire/Fighting is an overdone combination and Blaziken is probably now the best at it (lol speed boost), and I don't really see the water thing topping past favorites like Swampert and Gyarados. Swords Dance looks useful, but 70 speed is rather mediocre.  

darkslasherX
Crew

Crimson Hagane

5,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:09 pm
Yeah, I'm thinking the snake. The only thing the Fire starter really has going for it is a whopping 128 base Attack, and the 100 or so points in Special Attack could have been better applied in other stats. Like the defenses. The Water guy doesn't really have much going for it at all. It's like it's trying to be a speedy attacker, but it put too many points into defense. It's like the otter is trying to be a speedy sweeper with too much defense and the pig's trying to be a bulky sweeper with too little defense. The snake has a good stat distribution for being a pest.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 pm
Smugleaf is definitely worth considering.

I'm not going to even consider Pignition (3 fire/ fighting starters in a row!?).

Derpderp works sort of like Gyarados, though slower. Which, ingame at least, will work well.  

pathetic_negi_magician

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:44 am
pathetic_negi_magician

I'm not going to even consider Pignition (3 fire/ fighting starters in a row!?).

Derpderp works sort of like Gyarados, though slower. Which, ingame at least, will work well.

Grass snake thing seems like it might find a niche in competitive, while the other two seem more like "level me up and I'll beat the E4 easy, but I suck in real battles" types.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:06 pm
darkslasherX
pathetic_negi_magician

Grass snake thing seems like it might find a niche in competitive, while the other two seem more like "level me up and I'll beat the E4 easy, but I suck in real battles" types.

Yeah. With such a low speed, Derpderp (water starter) won't stand a chance.

And Pignition (fire starter) doesn't really have great all-around stats.  

pathetic_negi_magician

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:58 pm
It's almost as if the PKMN creators are paying attention to competitive battlers and trying to shove in even more bug pokemon because of that.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:54 pm
dracokagebuyo
It's almost as if the PKMN creators are paying attention to competitive battlers and trying to shove in even more bug pokemon because of that.

They probably pay attention to their own competitive matches and not so much Smogon, though, which would explain the "Let's make everything as strong as Kyogre!" mentality.  

darkslasherX
Crew

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces