Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
How about another cup of New York rage?!?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:10 am
Hiz Honor, da mayor is on his soap box about gun control again.

When will he learn to shut up about things he knows nothing about?

Oh, and check out the on-line resource he linked to. What garbage?!?

Bloomberg op-ed article

Trace the Guns

I hear the rage train arriving at Grand Central Station!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 am
yeah no s**t that;s politics... elections are what? 2-3 weeks away?
i found it funny tho that whichever state you pick, like half the guns they export go to California or Florida xd damn liberal grannies with they're magnums and what-have-you... rofl  

Maddness91

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:01 am
Would someone tell me more about this Gun Show Loophole that was mentioned in the OP-ed, please?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:05 am
Jackie Flores
Would someone tell me more about this Gun Show Loophole that was mentioned in the OP-ed, please?
Because gun shows only last a day or two, waiting periods are void. There might be something else, but I think that's it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:17 am
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Because gun shows only last a day or two, waiting periods are void. There might be something else, but I think that's it.
So this lets convicted felons buy guns? Why not require a license to buy guns at a gun show, and you have to get the license, like, a week in advance of the show and have a backround check? Then felons couldn't buy guns, but the gun shows ability to sell without waiting periods would be unhampered. Better yet, give gun show dealers access to criminal databases. Couldn't they have someone's criminal record up in seconds after typing their name into the computer?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 am
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
So this lets convicted felons buy guns? Why not require a license to buy guns at a gun show, and you have to get the license, like, a week in advance of the show and have a backround check? Then felons couldn't buy guns, but the gun shows ability to sell without waiting periods would be unhampered. Better yet, give gun show dealers access to criminal databases. Couldn't they have someone's criminal record up in seconds after typing their name into the computer?
Who said anything about letting felons buy guns? No, this allows people to buy guns NOW, instead of having to wait a week, regardless of the fact that they had to wait a month for a gun show to roll around anyway.

Maybe it voids NICS checks, though? Think of the logistics of having a NICS-wired computer at every booth... there better be an app for that. @_@  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:11 am
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Who said anything about letting felons buy guns? No, this allows people to buy guns NOW, instead of having to wait a week, regardless of the fact that they had to wait a month for a gun show to roll around anyway.

Maybe it voids NICS checks, though? Think of the logistics of having a NICS-wired computer at every booth... there better be an app for that. @_@
The Op-ed mentioned this law as a loophole that lets people sell felons guns legally. Is he right, or is that bullshit?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

The Op-ed mentioned this law as a loophole that lets people sell felons guns legally. Is he right, or is that bullshit?
Oh, I see now... the "loophole" is that it's a large gathering of private sellers, who aren't in any way required to run background checks. Not that they couldn't go shopping around garage sales if they really wanted to buy a gun, but apparently this makes gun shows horrible dens of sin and iniquity.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 am
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

Oh, I see now... the "loophole" is that it's a large gathering of private sellers, who aren't in any way required to run background checks. Not that they couldn't go shopping around garage sales if they really wanted to buy a gun, but apparently this makes gun shows horrible dens of sin and iniquity.
It's legal to sell guns at garage sales eek ?

Couldn't a background check be required in advance to enter a gun show? Would that not close the loophole without restricting the ability of the gathering of private sellers to sell without background checks?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:04 pm
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

Couldn't a background check be required in advance to enter a gun show? Would that not close the loophole without restricting the ability of the gathering of private sellers to sell without background checks?
That would murder the looky-loo crowd ("Oh hey, a gun show, let's check that out"), it would require you to pay a fee if you thought there was even the slightest chance you might buy a gun, and still not solve anything. And on top of it all, it's what, a slip of paper? That'd be hard to forge. rolleyes

But yeah, I've literally seen people selling firearms out of the back of vans/pickups at impromptu flea markets. One was a 12 ga. straight-pull bolt action, which was pretty memorable.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:06 pm
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

That would murder the looky-loo crowd ("Oh hey, a gun show, let's check that out"), it would require you to pay a fee if you thought there was even the slightest chance you might buy a gun, and still not solve anything. And on top of it all, it's what, a slip of paper? That'd be hard to forge. rolleyes

But yeah, I've literally seen people selling firearms out of the back of vans/pickups at impromptu flea markets. One was a 12 ga. straight-pull bolt action, which was pretty memorable.
Okay, bad idea on my part. I apologize sincerely for my stupidity.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

it's bullshit. you still have to pass a backrground check from the sellers.

the "loophole" they mention can take place 24/7 365 IN OR AWAY FROM GUN SHOWS all over the country

its called a private transaction. a lot of private citizens take their guns to gun shows looking to get rid of them to who ever wants to buy.
and as a private citizen selling your own gun you dont need to run a check on anybody.

these transactions can happen anywhere and are in fact more common outside of gun shows

the reason why it remains legal is because nobody would be able to get rid of their guns if they wanted to if it were outlawed.
theres hardly any dealers who want to take all your old guns off your hands.

therefore private citizen to private citizen transactions mustn't be outlawed  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 pm
I've been to a few shows here in WI. and most if not all had you leave to outside or the outside hall to exchange a gun privately to a buyer. also, there was some dealing going from a private seller to a guy who had a table....but I want to say that goes under private to private sale.

I bought my SKS at a show and this individual had me sign and date some forum looking paper. more or less stating I'm not a felon and I'm a current WI resident. cause I want to say most don't do out of state sales of firearms. had me look some other stuff over too. he copied my ID number and other info down and that was that. took my sks home with me that day. but that's no different then any other long gun in WI.

a garage sale would go under a private sale.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:44 pm
♪♫ Music speaks what cannot be expressed,
soothes the mind and gives it rest,

I still don't have the link to the article, but the Supreme Court deemed in a case against P.E.T.A. that it is a Constitutional right for American citizens to own firearms. The only thing that the Supreme Court has repealed from the Constitution is Prohibition. So the chances of them repealing something like firearms is highly unlikely. And currently, you can't be preaching something like that unless you're going to bring it up with the Supreme Court-because it's a Constitutional right.

Also, SUCK IT THE ******** UP NEW YORK. MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW IS ALL I HERE.

heals the heart and makes it whole,
flows from heaven to the soul. ♪♫

Kuuhaku-shou

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash