Submit

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm
Chivalric Knight
In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare,
terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo,
da Vinci and the Renaissance.

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on Gaia!

But I prefer to go to a friend's house and there we jerk both of our meats at the same time. I don't like how slippery and wet it can get though, it makes it hard to hold onto, then it falls and slaps onto the floor and it's just a mess.
In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy
and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.
Somewhere in the Bible Belt, I think a Christian fundamentalist just had a heart attack.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 am
Okay gents, here it is my picto-guide to how I Jerk my meat. (Pt 1)

I went to my local Grocer's Meat dept and picked up a 15lb Top Round at $1.99/lb (yes it is a lot of meat)
User Image
User Image
After a few minutes of trimming most of the fat-cap off. (some more careful trimming was done after the pic was taken)

It is wise to note that trimming the outside so that it is fat free is pointless. the fat on the outside will only make up the edge of the cut of jerky, so it will not get stuck in the meat as fat bubbles. The most important thing about fat when making jerky is to be sure to cut out the pieces that marble the meat. Rules of thumb: If you see white inside the cut, cut it out (pink is ok) if the fat is thin, but hard to the touch (hard like the fat-cap fat. this is saturated fat that will not melt way as easily ending in fat bubbles)

User Image
User Image
The specks of fat seen here are actually ok because they are very thin and will tun mostly into grease and run off while cooking leaving only hardly noticeable fats pieces on the final product. Some of the specs are veins inside the muscle as well so there is no point to bother with them.

User Image
User Image
Once cut I put the slices in a plastic tub over night (the Monster is for reference only it is the standard size monster can)
User Image
This is as big as the pieces got using the top round when putting the slices into the marinade I do it one at a time and I make sure they all get fully coated. (for reference see the first pic)
User Image

Things to note about using Top Round when prepping for jerky

1)It has three muscles in it, but only the top two (visible in the 2nd picture) need to be separated from each other because there is a good layer of fat between the two that needs to be taken out before slicing. however, separating the third is advisable due to some fat may be present inbetween the two muscles and could fatten up your slices.

2) from this experience it is probably the best cut of meat if you don't mind buying a good amount of meat and spending the time to jerk it. Top Round is VERY lean throughout, in fact I didn't run across any fat bubbles in the meat slices that needed to be dealt with at all.

3) It is a pain to cute, even with a slicer like the one I used (as cheap and old as it may be, also: shown above), It is a rather long cut of meat so using a slicer can be a pain, however if you can have one person hold the slice and one person work the meat you are GTG and can get it done quick and painlessly.

4) get ready to run your oven for a while (if you choose to bake/dry) because this will easily make a 2-3 batch project for my oven and each batch takes 6 hours.

Part 2 should be available Sunday  

090Freak090

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 am
Requiem in Mortis
Chivalric Knight

But I prefer to go to a friend's house and there we jerk both of our meats at the same time. I don't like how slippery and wet it can get though, it makes it hard to hold onto, then it falls and slaps onto the floor and it's just a mess.
Somewhere in the Bible Belt, I think a Christian fundamentalist just had a heart attack.
rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:51 am
So Freak mentioned pics should be ready by Sunday. It's Tuesday now. Where are the pics and when are you going to mail me some jerky? biggrin  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:37 pm
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667
Ha, the fun part about being in Georgia is that we don't have to go buy beef for our jerky; we just wander into the woods, shoot us a deer,(during deer season, of course) bring it back, cut the meat off, and make our own jerky. And let me tell you, deer jerky is the best, in my opinion.

As for how its prepared, we always marinate the jerky before setting it out onto the dehydrator, and checking on it every now and then until its dried to our liking. I like mine tough, yet still chewy enough to eat.
Yeah same here and just about any other state really. Yesterday I was on some back roads and I saw a sign that said they were selling elk for $300. I didn't stop in to see how much meat that would be but I assume it's a lot of meat.

You don't see signs like that in Georgia, though, due to the fact that selling deer meat is illegal here. Apparently, deer meat is in so high demand down here the officials have to forbid the selling of it to prevent poaching.
Because if you ban death, maybe murders will stop happening.

Hey, you're talking about Georgia. We're not the smartest people on the planet.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:56 pm
AINGELPROJECT667
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667
Ha, the fun part about being in Georgia is that we don't have to go buy beef for our jerky; we just wander into the woods, shoot us a deer,(during deer season, of course) bring it back, cut the meat off, and make our own jerky. And let me tell you, deer jerky is the best, in my opinion.

As for how its prepared, we always marinate the jerky before setting it out onto the dehydrator, and checking on it every now and then until its dried to our liking. I like mine tough, yet still chewy enough to eat.
Yeah same here and just about any other state really. Yesterday I was on some back roads and I saw a sign that said they were selling elk for $300. I didn't stop in to see how much meat that would be but I assume it's a lot of meat.

You don't see signs like that in Georgia, though, due to the fact that selling deer meat is illegal here. Apparently, deer meat is in so high demand down here the officials have to forbid the selling of it to prevent poaching.

And, as even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut, Georgia made Kennesaw.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

090Freak090

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:22 am
Das Rabble Rouser
So Freak mentioned pics should be ready by Sunday. It's Tuesday now. Where are the pics and when are you going to mail me some jerky? biggrin
sorry, I couldn't find my camera when the batches were done. probably not anytime soon the last batch just got sent over to Afghanistan to my future brother-in-law... If your that desperate I'll try to send you a few slices on the next batch but I will need you mailing address  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Chivalric Knight

I was wondering what happenned to my neighbor...  

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:42 pm
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667

And, as even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut, Georgia made Kennesaw.

Amen to that!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 am
In Soviet Russia. Masturbation joke makes you!  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:04 am