Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
Different opinion on the "Ethnic slur" petition

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:06 pm
Gypsy(gypsie or any other spelling) is not a slur, if you want proof my fiance and all of her family are full-blooded gypsy. They consider it an ethnicity, not a slur, insult or anything else. As they have taught me, gypsies have their own language. They consider there being two different types, (I guarantee I will spell these wrong) Boyage (musical heritage) and Vlakenya (wild gypsies).  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:30 pm
I havea frind who is part gypsy and they do not take it as a insult or slang its an ethnicity to them as well as to me its just like i am white and thats how i see thing sorry i do not have that much knowlege on this subject or would give a better more suported oppinon  

xXAyamaXx

6,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:44 pm
We understand that some Rroma have no problem with the word but nevertheless it is still an ethnic slur, it is listed as an ethnic slur, and it's against TOS to use it. Again, it's inappropriate to use the word in this guild. I have heard it used as a slur myself, so it's not like the word isn't a slur, it's just that some people have no issues with it regardless. But it's still against TOS and as such, it's not allowed to use it in this guild.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:53 pm
None of this is meant to disrespect anybody.
According to my fiance's family, though I'm not saying they speak for all, and this is a direct quote ( I ask no TOS be brought up about this) "Roma is a gypsy word, which in English means gypsy". It's not that they are okay with the word, it is honestly what they are. They wrote it as their ethnicity on the census, it is what they tell everybody they are. To them, Roma is their word, not ours.  

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:15 pm
TOS is TOS. You agreed to follow it when you joined the site, and we're responsible for making sure it's followed within the guild.

"G~" is derived from "Egypt", which is not where they come from nor is it in any way related to what they are. It's a perjorative term with perjorative connotations whether or not it's intended that way when it's used, and to avoid causing unintended offense it is NOT appropriate to use it here!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:44 pm
Actually, many "Romani" will say that it is believed that they did originate from Egypt, as do they. And my fiance wanted me to say that from somebody who is not "Romani" to use the word "Romani" or "Roma" is disrespectful to them. Those are words that many of them prefer to only be used by their own. She, speaking for her family as well, finds it more insulting for you or anybody who is not one of them to be using their word "Roma".  

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 pm
To put it in perspective...there are plenty of black people who have no problem using the N~ word, that doesn't make it any less of a slur.

It's fine if there are people who aren't bothered by it - that is their choice, but we should be respectful of those who find the term offensive. I think most people simply don't understand, due to lack of education on the issue. However once they have been made aware of the history of the term and why some do find it offensive - it makes them realize why the use of it in an item name (especially one that is perpetuating an inaccurate cultural stereotype), is inappropriate.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:49 pm
A couple points I would like to make that no book nor teacher will typically tell you:
1)Using the words "Roma" or "Romani" without being one of them is typically more of an insult than anything else you may consider a slur.
2)In their own language, "Roma" means "G....". The word is not a foreign word to them, it is a direct translation.
3)I have heard first hand that the cultural stereotype, though to some extent it is slightly outdated, it was rightfully earned. And is still fairly accurate among many of the Vlaki (probably spelled that wrong).  

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:48 pm
I'm not sure you're really aware what cultural stereotypes of the Rroma are. They're considered thieves, vagrants and undesirables in much of Europe.

I'm also getting the idea from you that you think all Rroma feel the same way as the family you know. That's not the case, as the Rroma who have actually responded in that thread will attest. I don't want to repeat what Sweet has already said - just go back and reread her comment, because that essentially says it all.

If you have issues with the petition, posting a thread about it here is pointless. Racial slurs are against TOS and not tolerated within this guild, and that's all there is to it. If you have issues with the petition, post them in the petition.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:55 pm
I was just going to ask...have you actually checked out the petition thread? It may help you to understand the other side of this issue.

As San has said, it is pointless to debate this here with us. While we recognize that there are those that don't have an issue with it, out of respect for those that do, it is not a term we will use (and we ask our members to do the same).  

ncsweet
Crew

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:44 pm
You are right, it is pointless to debate it here. I apologize if I offended anybody. And I will no longer continue on this topic.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:49 pm
Thank you for your understanding.

The conversation within the petition thread is actually quite interesting, if occasionally heated. I recommend reading it even if you have no wish to sign it.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 pm
I will do that, and again, I apologize if I offended anybody, that was not my intention.  
*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games