Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How do you pronounce? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you yahoo?
  Yes.
  No.
  What the...?!!??
  Pollness
View Results

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:08 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
KoshiDoragon
I find the word "often" confusing to pronounce. Sometimes I say the "T" and sometimes I silence it.

I remember being told that saying the T in "often" is a more old-fashioned way. I think both ways are considered correct.

What? You can skip the T in often? That's news to me...
That only happens when I'm speaking fast.
So when it's said in normal speech, yes, sometimes the T is missed, but said on its own, I always pronounce the T.
For example:
"How of'en d'you do this?"
"Often."

Kind of like water. It's pronounced worter, but in speech it often comes out as wo'er. Never waader though...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:05 am
It depends on what I am saying. I tend to use difference prouncations randomly.  

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250

Sola Catella

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:59 pm
Ikonik Angel
Kind of like water. It's pronounced worter, but in speech it often comes out as wo'er. Never waader though...

Really? Where I'm from, we pronounce it 'wah-ter.'  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:02 am
Ikonik Angel
What? You can skip the T in often? That's news to me...
That only happens when I'm speaking fast.
So when it's said in normal speech, yes, sometimes the T is missed, but said on its own, I always pronounce the T.
For example:
"How of'en d'you do this?"
"Often."

Well, that was when I was in year 3.

The teacher said that it's pronounced "of-fen" as opposed to "of-ten", and that people in my grandparents' generation would say "of-ten" with the T.

Sola Catella
Ikonik Angel

Really? Where I'm from, we pronounce it 'wah-ter.'

Reminds me of a post from another forum:

Zanzibar Clarkie
I am proudly one of the few people in Indiana who doesn't randomly add an 'R' to "wash." I did have a home ec teacher once, though, who stressed the importance of warshing our dishes when we were done cooking.

(Somehow, I actually remember this post even though it was from Septmeber 2004.)  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:59 am
DarkRubberDuckyofDoom
Do you say 'ant-I' or 'ant-E'?

Do you pronounce it 'th-E' or 'th-A'?

People speak differently and it has nothing to do with where you are from. Tell us some words you say differently and find other's talk oddly.

I say 'th-a' most of the time. And schedule not 'shedule'. I'm a terrible grammar speaker, but typing badly is annoying.
with the word "the:" i'm not sure about speaking, but this is how we do it in choir: if the next word begins with a vowel, we pronounce it like the word "thee." if the next word begins with a consanant (not sure if i spelled that right), it is pronounced like "uh."  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:01 am
I pronounce it... ant-I...

Ant-E sounds a little strange to, but I do pronounce antidisestablishment with the Ant-E. I suppose I say it both ways....

Koudoyo

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:08 am
Depends on the word/context. For example, I say "ant-ee" in reference to "antibody", but "ant-i" in reference to "antidisestablishmentarianism". Or, something like that.

I usually say "th-a" unless the following word is preceded by a vowel that doesn't sound "ee", in which case I say "th-ee". I'm a singer, so I traditionally pronounce things the way that we are trained in classical vocals, although that is subject to some interpretation as well.

Other things? I say "rahther" with an open AH rather than the "a" sound like Americans (even though I am American), and I say "often" with the "t" sounded.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:58 pm
it depends on what word it's attatched to,.

What the crap!? I didn't even see the post above me. xp  

Soviet Reunion

saotomi5102

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 am
It is Ant-I but The can be The or Tha  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:40 am
Yami no Hitokiri
Emerald_Jasmine

While they can be used interchangably, it's commonly accepted that a "theater" is the building itself, while "theatre" is the art that happens within that building.

Just as an interesting tidbit.

I honestly never knew that. I think the building is still spelled with the RE over in England. But I never knew that "theatre" was even used over here at all. Thanks for the info.

It is over where I live, there's a place called the Palace Theatre.  

Sighren

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:15 am
I get pronounciation so mixed up most of the time.
I'm never sure about anti. I prefer ant-e but sometimes I pronounce it as ant-i anyway.
I say thuh most of the time but that vowel/consonant rule might apply to me as well.
And schedule instead of shedule.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:26 am
Sachiko13
with the word "the:" i'm not sure about speaking, but this is how we do it in choir: if the next word begins with a vowel, we pronounce it like the word "thee." if the next word begins with a consanant (not sure if i spelled that right), it is pronounced like "uh."
Exactly -

Anti is a strange one which changes depending on the word. I've yet to find a rule or pattern in this, however.

Schedule: Let's take "School" for example. It is not pronounced "Shool," therefore neither should schedule be pronounced "Shedule"

(Who the hell says 'po-tah-to,' anyway ?)

-PFC Smith (FWIW), U.S. Army  

FWIW

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:35 pm
FWIW
Sachiko13
(Who the hell says 'po-tah-to,' anyway ?)

I usually say 'to-mah-to' but 'po-tay-to'. I prefer 'po-tah-to' though, I am trying to get used to saying that instead 3nodding

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff