Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Silja

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:01 pm
If any of you are familiar with the Spirit and Destiny magazines, you will know who Silja is. She's the Wiccan who does stuff for the magazine.

Well, I emailed her a while back about Wicca, and she finally replied today! And she recommended some stuff, which you guys may wanna use. There are some sites and books she menchined. I also found her email very helpful. Here are her words for those of you interested:

"Many people, when they first become interested in Wicca and witchcraft, are looking to join a coven right away. However, that is the wrong time to join a magical group. First you should explore by yourself, both intellectually and spiritually- there are so many different aspects to witchcraft, and so many different traditions and beliefs, it can be difficult to know where to start! I generally recommend that new witches read a lot, to get exposed to different points of view and practises. In books, there are several authors I can recommend: Anything by Kate West, an English author who writes down-to-earth, easy to understand books. Anything by Ellen Hawke (another UK author, and there does tend to be a cultural difference between UK and US based authors, though it is difficult to put your finger on it) or Scott Cunningham (US author), though Cunningham’s books can be a bit like “recipie” books, ie just listing spell ingredients without going much into the hisotry and mythology and ethics. Rae Beth has an old but good book called “Hedge Witch”, which is writing in the entertaining form of letters between witches, and Silver Ravenwolf’s first two books, “To Ride a Silver Broomstick” and “To Stir a Magic Cauldron” are excellent, though a bit “fluffy”- her later works, unfortunately, became very commercial and of lower quality. Of course, the web is full of witchy sites, but the danger there is that many don’t know what they are talking about. I can warmly recommend the Pagan Federation Website, UK’s largest and one of the oldest Witchcraft organisations. Their website has a recommended readinglist, and they also hold social meetings for witches to meet eachother:
http://www.paganfed.org/
The Children of Artemis, another UK based group, can be a bit commercial, but their website also has some good info and they organise conventions and public meetings:
http://www.witchcraft.org/

Indeed, the new trend for witches is to do their serious spell work solitary, so that you can do it exactly when and how you want, but to meet with other witches socially at moots (witchy meetings held in pubs or community centers; there is usually a topic of the month being discussed for an hour or so and then it's just mingling), and maybe celebrate the main Sabbats (= Wiccan festivals) with others in a semi-public gathering which arose from a moot, or with a study group. This gives everyone the freedom to practise how they want rather than to th ideas/ traditins which may not suit the individual exactly, but still enables the witch to learn from others and harness the group enegy for certain magic.

Of course, I am not saying that joining a coven is a bad thing- I have run one for years (and my coven started off as a study group and then evolved into a coven). But most established covens are reluctant to take complete newcommers to Wicca, as they are reluctant to share their secrets- and significant hours and effort in training- on someone who in a few months or a year decides that the tradition of Wicca the coven practises is not for them after all. If you follow the above suggestions, you will know exactly what you want from a coven when you do join one, thus making an informed decision, and will have significant experience to contribute, making you more attractive to the coven as a joinee.

Blessed be: Silja

PS: My second book, "The Green Wiccan Herbal", ISBN 1906525873, is out now! It contains lots of herbal mythology, spells and rituals as well as recipes and alternative medicine. My first book "The Green Wiccan Year", ISBN 1906094977, is full of seasonal articles, magical tips and spells, as well as space for you to write your own observations and spells that worked for you. Check it out!

I am happy to help if and when I can, and see this as a service to the Lord. My advice is therefor at no cost to you. If you wish to give something, please consider a donation of your time or money to the RSPCA.
"  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:17 pm
RSPCA. That's an epic win.

I never heared of her, but she seems very wise. I should look her up once, and her books.  

pompoennetje

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Yeah. I agree she's wise. And I'm sure her books are good biggrin -Goes to Amazon- biggrin D  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:28 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Yeah. I agree she's wise. And I'm sure her books are good biggrin -Goes to Amazon- biggrin D

I wonder if she has books in Holland. 4laugh  

pompoennetje

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:43 pm
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus

I wonder if she has books in Holland. 4laugh

She probably will have. I'm sure her books are sold worldwide.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:45 pm
I'm sorry... She's actually recommending Silver Ravenwolf?! Gods! "Wise" my arse. I'd avoid this woman's books if she thinks Ravenwolf is a source worth recommending. Out of all the books she could recommend she chooses Ravenwolf?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:47 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
I'm sorry... She's actually recommending Silver Ravenwolf?! Gods! "Wise" my arse. I'd avoid this woman's books if she thinks Ravenwolf is a source worth recommending. Out of all the books she could recommend she chooses Ravenwolf?

You do realise she recommends only two by her and states the rest of Ravenwolf's books are "fluffy".

Maybe you need to re-read that snippet:

"Silver Ravenwolf’s first two books, “To Ride a Silver Broomstick” and “To Stir a Magic Cauldron” are excellent, though a bit “fluffy”- her later works, unfortunately, became very commercial and of lower quality. Of course, the web is full of witchy sites, but the danger there is that many don’t know what they are talking about."  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:07 am
The post-script kind of left an odd taste in my mouth. I understand that authors wish to market their books, but I would assume anyone who would take the time to write an author would know what books she has out and what is coming out..it seems like an unneeded plug to me.

Plus both sites she recommends require membership dues.

I dunno...call me old fashioned, but I don't see a coven as a social club. I have absolutely no problem with socializing as a part of coven activities, but I think that it should be a secondary thing, and not the primary goal of joining a coven.

I agree with her that there is a lot of good, solid reasons for doing personal research. I think that going out and doing the work yourself, even if you struggle to find good information or to understand what you do find, not only helps you to develop skills through your own perseverance, but it shows your dedication to developing yourself, and not just waiting for someone else to show you what to do.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:49 am
More new-age fluff masquerading as Wicca, sadly. I'd not recomment her.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:47 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta

You do realise she recommends only two by her and states the rest of Ravenwolf's books are "fluffy".

"Silver Ravenwolf’s first two books, “To Ride a Silver Broomstick” and “To Stir a Magic Cauldron” are excellent, though a bit “fluffy”- her later works, unfortunately, became very commercial and of lower quality. Of course, the web is full of witchy sites, but the danger there is that many don’t know what they are talking about."

I read it. What's your point? She's still recommending Ravenwolf when there are a myriad of better authors she could recommend. She either thinks Ravenwolf is worth reading, more so than a dozen different authors who are better, or she's only read a handful of books on the subject. neutral  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:34 pm
Morgandria
More new-age fluff masquerading as Wicca, sadly. I'd not recomment her.

Okay. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:35 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta

I read it. What's your point? She's still recommending Ravenwolf when there are a myriad of better authors she could recommend. She either thinks Ravenwolf is worth reading, more so than a dozen different authors who are better, or she's only read a handful of books on the subject. neutral

I see your point. I guess she was only seeing those two books as the good ones by Ravenwolf.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 pm
Here's a more reputable website than those, they are a bit too commercial.

And she sounds like she's just trying to sell you something.

Also, a coven will not initiate you right away whether you have newly discovered Wicca or you've been a seeker for years. They require a period of study either way.
A lot of other things I wish to say, but I'll keep it to myself.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games