Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Solitary Eclectic Wiccans brings to mind...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:53 am
Adalyna
I posted a thread about this on M&R I shoulda looked here this is basically the same topic.

To me it really feels like, there is a certain branch of eclecticism, or style of eclecticism, that has a nasty habit of calling itself Wicca, and I really feel that... it sort of craves a name for itself. I wouldn't necessarily its just about wanting a name for my personal path because not everything I do is based on this eclectic path, as believing in 6 deities specifically isn't something I see very often. but it's been so adamant about calling itself Wicca, I feel this religion needs some kind of name for itself that isn't pejorative.

Does anyone else agree with me that if "not wicca" had something else to call itself, it would stop calling itself Wicca? The problem with simply "eclectic neo-pagan" is that it is simply too broad.

That's been part of my problem. I don't quite feel eclectic neo-pagan, or even neo-pagan alone is definitive enough for me. And in a way, I'm not sure about "Seeker" because I've found what I am, but I'm still seeking for what to call it so Seeker is still correct.

But if the "eclectic solitary Wicca" had it's own name, it would stop making a claim to the title. Although it's going to be hard to do that since society sees solitary as a form of Wicca only because there are so many calling themselves solitary Wiccans.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 am
Viz_22
Adalyna
I posted a thread about this on M&R I shoulda looked here this is basically the same topic.

To me it really feels like, there is a certain branch of eclecticism, or style of eclecticism, that has a nasty habit of calling itself Wicca, and I really feel that... it sort of craves a name for itself. I wouldn't necessarily its just about wanting a name for my personal path because not everything I do is based on this eclectic path, as believing in 6 deities specifically isn't something I see very often. but it's been so adamant about calling itself Wicca, I feel this religion needs some kind of name for itself that isn't pejorative.

Does anyone else agree with me that if "not wicca" had something else to call itself, it would stop calling itself Wicca? The problem with simply "eclectic neo-pagan" is that it is simply too broad.

That's been part of my problem. I don't quite feel eclectic neo-pagan, or even neo-pagan alone is definitive enough for me. And in a way, I'm not sure about "Seeker" because I've found what I am, but I'm still seeking for what to call it so Seeker is still correct.

But if the "eclectic solitary Wicca" had it's own name, it would stop making a claim to the title. Although it's going to be hard to do that since society sees solitary as a form of Wicca only because there are so many calling themselves solitary Wiccans.

Eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft does cover huge territory, and I think the reason there isn't a more specific name, is simply that it is eclectic and ever-shifting. The similarities between eclectic pagan practices might be just as superficial between one practicioner and another, as are between eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft, and Wicca.

When people develop specific practices from eclectic sources, they can become traditions in their own right - the practice itself ceases to be eclectic when the core practice is founded, and no longer changed.

Basically it comes down to the fact that if you're looking for a name, and you aren't working in an established tradition, you need to come up with a name on your own. You're essentially founding your own tradition.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm
I'm about to just research my names to see if they'll fit as a name. If nothing else, the term crafter or craftor randomly popped up in my head.

I'm still going to ask to see which is preferred by my versions of the God and Goddess (because mine might not be the same as everyone elses)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:54 pm
I need to check out Cunningham for purposes of examining just that system. It might be that standing stone is exactly referring to the system I'm thinking of. Although for my own personal practice It wouldn't really be standing stone, and there are a lot more authors I more path relevant for me stare  

Adalyna

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:13 pm
TVAANist is what I've hear some eclectic neo-pagan traditions referred as. It's an acronym inspired off of the formula for the titles of Mama Silver's books (To Verb A Adjective Noun). Though I've seen this this refers to a specific sort of neopagan traditions, mainly those inspired from Cunningham's and Mama Silver's works.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:23 pm
rmcdra
TVAANist is what I've hear some eclectic neo-pagan traditions referred as. It's an acronym inspired off of the formula for the titles of Mama Silver's books (To Verb A Adjective Noun). Though I've seen this this refers to a specific sort of neopagan traditions, mainly those inspired from Cunningham's and Mama Silver's works.

Yeah, we tried that. It failed miserably a long time ago. We are happy to let it die now. xp  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:43 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
rmcdra

Yeah, we tried that. It failed miserably a long time ago. We are happy to let it die now. xp

The term/phrase doesn't make sense to me o_O; So I can see how it failed?  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games