Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
So, I have always wanted to experience a coven.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 am
I never had experienced a coven, how they work, what they do. Etc.

It has made me so curious, but I do feel some what uneasy to search for covens. There aren't many around here, or that are close near my town. But I am willing to spend money on traveling.

But I don't really know what think about it. I does makes me curious but uneasy at the same time. Maybe I'm just shy or unsure about it. I don't know. Also, it would sound a little weird to tell them you just want to experience it once. To see what it does to you, the feeling, the energy, and so on.

And, if it is really something for me. I'm still finding myself on the path that I am trying to figure out which tradition, which path could be 'mine'.

It's just, that I don't really want to offend anyone with asking this.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 am
Different religions have different ways of doing things, and traditions in those religions have different feels and even covens within the tradition each have their own flavor and feel personality wise- so that can effect the feel of the coven.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:15 am
So that's not really going to make my choice easier. surprised  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:44 pm
Dianda Panda

This is advice that isn't specifically directed towards looking for BTW covens, but pretty much towards looking at any group or coven from any tradition you might find.

Don't be afraid to be a guest with groups. If you're invited to come see a ritual and experience what a particular group is like, do it. Many pagan religions are experiential, and there's no way to really know what they're like and if you like them, than by experiencing them in person.

A few things to keep in mind when you are a guest:
1) Be polite. It's courtesy to bring a gift to your hosts, for having you.
2) DO ask if there's something you can help with, when things are being prepared. An extra set of hands are always appreciated.
3) Don't try to push yourself forwards into the social group. You are an outsider, and some groups resent people that "jump right in".
4) Listen as much as possible. Be prepared to be asked questions, and ask your own in return.
5) If you're shy, anxious - tell someone. That way they'll know, rather than just assuming you're some weirdo with strange behavior who acted funny the whole time.

Afterwards, ask yourself a few things:

1) Does the group work well together? Is there conflict? Does the atmosphere seem tense?
2) Is the group stiff and solemn, really serious? Or do they seem relaxed and comfortable, at ease?
3) At the other extreme - is the group too laid back? Are they together to have a party and drink and eat, or are they there for the ritual?
4) Is the group organized? Have they prepared for the ritual, or are they scrambling at the last minute?
5) Look at the leadership for the group, How are they run - is it a priesthood? A committee? No leadership at all?
6) Did the group let you ask questions? Did they answer your questions? Did the group give you a heads-up about what to expect, or did they leave you in the dark about the ritual?
7) Did the group ask you questions, or genuinely seem interested in you?
8] Is there a lot of drama, interpersonal or metaphysical, obvious in any way?
9) Do any of the group, or the ritual itself, make you uncomfortable in any way?

If you felt uncomfortable, keep looking. If the group's a disorganized mess, or has a lot of dysfunctional relationships, keep looking. If they try to suck you into some sort of drama, don't answer -any-questions, or try to look seem super-powerful and mysterious, keep looking! (and RUN.)

On the other hand, if you really enjoyed the ritual, and liked the group, contact whomever invited you to the gathering and thank them, and your hosts, for an excellent time. Making sure they know you liked them, enjoyed yourself, and appreciated the invitation will leave the door open for you to perhaps return, and for the group to discuss how they feel about you.

It may take more than a few groups until you find one that is right for you. And there's nothing wrong with that. Make sure you look at them critically, and save yourself the heartache and problems that comes from joining a bad coven or circle.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:48 pm
I like all of Morgandria's suggestions.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes covens have oaths that mean some information can't be given to non-initiates. They should be able to explain that to you when you ask a question- and if they can't, then it's okay to be uncomfortable and to find another group. If they can explain that it's something they're sworn not to reveal to outsiders- it needs to be respected. As a guest, you might not be answered everything the first time you show up on their door step- but if you're comfortable and understand why they can't give you the answers you want, it goes a long way towards building a good relationship.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:27 am
I've been mostly solitary, but I have had some experiences with group work. I definitely will echo "if the group makes you uncomfortable, leave". I would also add that it is a good idea, the first couple of times that you meet up with a new group, to have your own transportation. You don't want to be in a situation where you caught a ride with someone, but find you want to leave and can't because your ride wants to stay.

I also heartily agree that drama can be a huge issue. I've seen many groups (both pagan and non) that were good groups, but were absolutely destroyed by even just a couple of people who were into creating drama (and were allowed to do so).

Lastly, remember that there are many, many good groups out there. But you may feel more comfortable with certain styles of groups or certain styles of practices. Not only do you want a group that functions well and is solid, you want one that you mesh well with. If the group is good, but not quite what you are looking for, it is fine to keep looking.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:59 am
Morgandria
Dianda Panda

This is advice that isn't specifically directed towards looking for BTW covens, but pretty much towards looking at any group or coven from any tradition you might find.

Don't be afraid to be a guest with groups. If you're invited to come see a ritual and experience what a particular group is like, do it. Many pagan religions are experiential, and there's no way to really know what they're like and if you like them, than by experiencing them in person.

A few things to keep in mind when you are a guest:
1) Be polite. It's courtesy to bring a gift to your hosts, for having you.
2) DO ask if there's something you can help with, when things are being prepared. An extra set of hands are always appreciated.
3) Don't try to push yourself forwards into the social group. You are an outsider, and some groups resent people that "jump right in".
4) Listen as much as possible. Be prepared to be asked questions, and ask your own in return.
5) If you're shy, anxious - tell someone. That way they'll know, rather than just assuming you're some weirdo with strange behavior who acted funny the whole time.

Afterwards, ask yourself a few things:

1) Does the group work well together? Is there conflict? Does the atmosphere seem tense?
2) Is the group stiff and solemn, really serious? Or do they seem relaxed and comfortable, at ease?
3) At the other extreme - is the group too laid back? Are they together to have a party and drink and eat, or are they there for the ritual?
4) Is the group organized? Have they prepared for the ritual, or are they scrambling at the last minute?
5) Look at the leadership for the group, How are they run - is it a priesthood? A committee? No leadership at all?
6) Did the group let you ask questions? Did they answer your questions? Did the group give you a heads-up about what to expect, or did they leave you in the dark about the ritual?
7) Did the group ask you questions, or genuinely seem interested in you?
8] Is there a lot of drama, interpersonal or metaphysical, obvious in any way?
9) Do any of the group, or the ritual itself, make you uncomfortable in any way?

If you felt uncomfortable, keep looking. If the group's a disorganized mess, or has a lot of dysfunctional relationships, keep looking. If they try to suck you into some sort of drama, don't answer -any-questions, or try to look seem super-powerful and mysterious, keep looking! (and RUN.)

On the other hand, if you really enjoyed the ritual, and liked the group, contact whomever invited you to the gathering and thank them, and your hosts, for an excellent time. Making sure they know you liked them, enjoyed yourself, and appreciated the invitation will leave the door open for you to perhaps return, and for the group to discuss how they feel about you.

It may take more than a few groups until you find one that is right for you. And there's nothing wrong with that. Make sure you look at them critically, and save yourself the heartache and problems that comes from joining a bad coven or circle.

Thank you so much! And the others ofcourse, thank you!

This helped me a lot.

I figured out there's a shop who sometimes have advertisement about covens or anything. Or maybe the owner of the shop knows something. So I'm going to have a look soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:07 am
Dianda Panda

Thank you so much! And the others ofcourse, thank you!

This helped me a lot.

I figured out there's a shop who sometimes have advertisement about covens or anything. Or maybe the owner of the shop knows something. So I'm going to have a look soon.

I know a lot of networking is done out of the botanicas- so that sounds like a good idea.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items