Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Graphic Makers [TGM]

Back to Guilds

A guild where graphic designers / webpage builders can enjoy each others company. 

Tags: graphic, profile, web design, photoshop, design 

Reply Tutorials & Resources
[Blinkies]Gimp 2 Beginner Tutorial

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

testicular cooties

Millionaire

9,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:51 pm
Hi! I have a graphics shop that can change photos to blinkies and such, but let's get down to the point...

You must have Gimp 2 installed on your computer for this procedure to work, and I'm just putting out my way of doing it. First, have the slides you want set aside in paint or whatever kind of program you use besides Gimp. Put them in the order you want like this, Frame one is the original image, Frame two usually has something changing or being added, Frame three usually has the Frame two included in but is still different. Lemmie show you.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The sequence of the final item is :
Frame One :: Frame Two :: Frame Three :: Frame Two ::
Which turns out :

You enter these in order on Gimp 2 by going down to Edit, drag down to Paste As and select New Layer. Go the the headbar and click Tools, and drag down to Clipboard. You see the layer Background? Make sure to delete that layer, because it'll end up like this if you don't.

Now when your pictures are all finished, it's time to add the time spacing. First, view your Clipboard. Every layer should say "Clipboard (#?). Double click the text, and it'll highlight blue. Go to your keyboard and press the right arrow key. Enter in how many milliseconds you want for each frame to hold. Don't forget to put the time frame within parentheses, and abbreviate milliseconds to ms.

This is what your first layer should look like:
[picture in layer]...Clipboard (time ms)

Now, here's a guide to easy millisecond spacing.

250 ms -- 1/4 of a second
500 ms -- 1/2 of a second
750 ms -- 3/4 of a second
1000 ms -- 1 second etc~

So now it's time to... save your animation! Go to File and drag down to Save. A window will pop up, and ask you to title your picture. Save it like this :

title.gif

The .gif portion is vital, and it will make your animation successful. OMG i almost forgot, another window! Trust me, you're almost done.
Make sure these are selected, and then you may go on. Aww... two more!!

It should have a few options for GIF files, but this is all that should be selected:

Press "Save" and upload it onto a server, (such as tinypic or photobucket) and you're all set! Enjoy your wonderful new skill!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 am
Still looks relevant. Gonna keep this around!  

Sidhe the Unfeeling
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
Tutorials & Resources

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items