Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
I have some questions about yule

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXAyamaXx

6,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:03 pm
well this year is the first holiday season since have began studying paganisim. all the previous years of my life christmas time has been a big thing i never really celebrated it as the birth of christ just a fun happy time in which to visit famialy and friends and decorate the house all christmasy and to give preasents to other people. i am just curious how do yall celebrate this time of year i know that yule is the rebirth of the god after his death at samhain. another thing i was wondering is what christmas tradition originated in the pagan holiday of yule (ex. yule log)?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:23 pm
What traditions you see at Yule will vary depending on the culture you're dealing with. Not every culture celebrates something we'd recognize as Yule or Christmas at this time of year.

Also, what pagans do for the Winter Solstice depends on the specific pagan religion. There's no practice or traditions that spans every pagan religion.

A lot of modern Christmas traditions stem from Victorian England, thanks to Prince Albert. Prince Albert was German, so some of the things we associate with Christmas are Germanic in origin.

I celebrate Yule with my coven. We have ritual, then feast, and then a gift pillage. That's all I do.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:26 pm
In my religion, Yuletide lasts for twelve days. It starts off with Mother Night on the night before the solstice (or it does the way I do it, anyway) and ends on the new year. OĆ°inn in particular is honoured, and the Wild Hunt rides.

But Yule is six months away for me. I'm celebrating Midsummer.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games