Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:03 pm
INTRODUCTION
User Image

Tarot is one of the most personal and most challenging forms of divination. It is one that requires tedious work, and its everevolving. Its my favorite form of divination because of how it connects to you. You have to tap into yourself for this form of divination and learn what the cards speak to you. Its very self rewarding and it actually makes you more intune with psychic waves, energy and you can after studying a while become empathic. That however depends on the person. Tarot has been around for along time. Usually most people think Tarot when they think of Gypsys. They are correct in that sense but thats not really how Tarot Started. I will get more into Tarot's History with my next post however.

This thread is an everchanging guide to help Readers of Tarot New and old. I have information on many different things here. For those who want to start Tarot this is an excellent guide to use a reference. By all means if you would like to print this and store it be my guest. This guide I have been planning to make for the longest time, and I have decided to put it off no longer. This is not just my work either. I have gathered from many different sorces to try and make the most accurate and extensive guide. So just look it over. Who knows you might learn a thing or two

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:09 pm
History
User Image

Some time in the first half of the fifteenth century, somewhere in northern Italy, someone created the first set of tarot cards. Like the playing cards of the time, the tarot deck included number cards (1 through 10) in four suits, and court cards page, knight, and king. But the tarot deck had more: a queen was added to each of the courts, and 22 special cards, not belonging to any suit, were added. These special cards bore symbolic pictures, with such subjects as the Emperor, the Pope, The Wheel of Fortune, Death, the Devil, and the Moon.

The tarot cards were used to play a new type of card game, similar to bridge, but with 21 of the special cards serving as permanent trumps, which could be played regardless of what suit was led, and outranked all the ordinary cards. This Game of Triumphs, as it was called, became extraordinarily popular, particularly among the upper classes, and spread through northern Italy and eastern France. As the game spread to new locales, changes were often made in the pictures, and also in the ranking of the trumps, which usually bore no numbers. In time, tarot spread south to Sicily and north to Austria, Germany, and the low countries.

Centuries later, devotees of the occult arts in France and England encountered the tarot and saw mystical and magical meaning in the enigmatic symbolism of the cards. Their fascination with the cards led to the reputation tarot presently has as a divination tool and occult artifact.

Tarot today is a very popular form of Divination. People all over the world now use the cards for divination. Cards come in all different languages and many different decks.

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:03 pm
Decks
User Image

Tarot decks are by far very hard to choose. The problem is there are too many. When first starting out in Tarot it can take someone a while just to decide what deck to get. The decks range from all the way from Fairy's to Vampires. Believe me they even have an I Love Lucy deck. These are all nice decks. People starting out in Tarot really have so many supersticions and such about the cards.

Decks themselves according to popular rumor are only suppose to be given to you as a gift to work. I even thought this for a while and thats why I never got my first deck for a long long time. I hate to burst the little bubble people have cast overthemselves but Tarot decks work just fine if you buy them yourself. If you insist on being supersticious if you buy something its like a gift to yourself.

Most people want to pick a really cool deck. Usually a specialty that they really like. My advice is to get a traditional Rider Waite Deck(See here). Its the best way to honestly learn the Tarot. I really wanted an Egyptian Deck when i first wanted to do Tarot. I was told by a friend to get a traditional deck first and get the Egyptian later. The reason being is that Its harder to learn if the image on the cards is changed to much. My egyptian deck and my Rider deck have completley different pictures on them. If I would have started with Egyptian my perception and what they could all mean would be very limited, however since I started with a traditional deck it really did help alot. I advise all new comer to try the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:10 pm
Lets Get Personal
User Image

The one thing people starting Tarot never seem to get is that the books and guides you buy or they come with are not the Tarot Bible! These books and such are ment as guides to help you find the meaning of the cards to you, I probably have a different meaning for the moon than most people. Thats because of me and my personal experiences. Guides like this are ment to help you by giving you enough to start to learn. The more readings and spreads you do the better you get. Some cards will be easier to read than others, just don't get to frustrated all things take time.

Now that thats said Everything about Tarot is personal. From the deck you use to how you store the Cards. Its really all a matter of choice. Some people store thier cards in silk bags. Some prefer wooden boxes. Others I am sure have even more different ways of doing things. Some people never let thier card touch anything but thier hands and a silk tablecloth. Whatever you feel is right for you will work. I have a hand stained box that I keep my Tarot cards in. I have them wrapped in black silk, and I have the insides of the box covered in mirror tiles to reflect all of the bad negative energy out. Thats what I wanted to do so I did it. Really again its all personal choice on what you want to do.

Some people when they feel they reach a high enough level of skill give people readings for money. I would just like to say that that is ok with a few exceptions. Do not try and help people do something illegal. If they are unstable mentally and you tell them thier spouse is cheating on them its likely they could kill someone. Do your best to be honest but if people are in need of help try and direct them to an establishment that can help them. Charging to do a reading is ok. I charge a small fee on Gaia and I give people readings. I charge what I feel my time is worth. I don't charge for my wisdom. If your doing Tarot to get rich you might want to quit now, People doing Tarot should really do it for the love of it and for the love of helping other people.

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:29 pm
The Major Arcana
User Image

Before I get to what the Major Arcana represent I need to go over what they are. The Major Arcana are the only cards in the Tarot deck without a suite. example like the King of Cups is a minor arcana card. The Empress is a Major Arcana Card. Its easy to tell really when you start which one is which. There are 22 Major Arcana Cards in all. For pictures of these cards just look at the index of Cards. I have pictures of My egyptian deck for every card in Tarot.

The Major Arcana as a whole represent major issues. Usually they are events and actions that are unavoidable. There is usually little more that could have been done to deter this type of card. It also shows the divine hand of fate. This is like showing the will of the gods, so to speak. The Major Arcana Cards cann also represent the trials we go through in life until death. From the fool to the world. The Major arcana cards are not to be taken lightly in a reading, they hold the most positive and at times most negative energy in readings. When to many Major Arcana cards show up in a reading that also tells you that little of that situation if any were or are in your control. If they show up for the future or for the present there is nothing to do to change it. They are set into motion and when that happens, all we can do is prepare for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:49 pm
The Minor Arcana
User Image

The Minor Arcana are just like a deck of plsying cards. Except they have one extra card per suite. There arel 4 suites. 2-10 and the Court Cards, like the king, Queen, Page, and knight. These two groups of cards make up the minor Arcana.

The minor arcana represent events and such created by humans. They deal with our spiritual life, social life, Financial life, and our hopes, dreams and desires. In general we have control over these cards. With every choice we make they change, We are everchanging and as such usually every reading can change everytime you do it. Life changes daily and these cards show most if not all of it.

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:18 am
Suite of Rods/Wands/Staff's
User Image

Suite's Element= Fire

Suite's Astrological Signs= Aries, Leo and Sagittarius

Keywords to describe the suite as a whole= Enterprise, Growth.

Key Image= like waving a magic wand. xD

This suite of Tarot can be somethimes called many different things. I will call it Wands when discussing it as it is the most common. The one sure fire way to tell if your cards have different suites than the ones listed is by the element the suite represents. Each 4 suites have a specific element assigned to them with each deck. The suite of Wands is associated with the fire element. There are also astrological signs associated with each Deck. The signs for this suite are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius.

Wands represent our dive into the work world, our ambition, growth, and development. These are the Cards of our enthusiasm for life and our enthusiasm for living it. Wands were originally called staffs in many older Tarot decks. However as times change so does the Tarot. Staffs use to be used to carry fires at night. Wands brought light into the darkness to brighten the way. Also back then were also seen as a symbol or authority and personal power.

Usually the wands imagery shows a stick of wood with a little twigs on the side with leaves and such. This is because wands represent growth, the growing of plants and other greenery is the most potent image of growth as it is one that humans can really see the change in. The imagery per card is hard to figure out. The wands in the decks are used as weapons, sticks, holding things up, force and many other things. It takes time to figure out this suite as the uses of it very so much per card. Wands are associated with the world of creation and ideas and each card does show that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:30 pm
Suite of Cups/Chalices
User Image

Suite's Element= Water

Suite's Astrological Signs= Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces

Keywords to describe the suite as a whole= Emotions, matters of the heart.

Key Image= a cupful of Joy and happiness

Cups are the suite of our emotions and our heart. They stand for how we can percieve our emotions. We find our feelings anf sensitivity for others, our artistic side, and the simple fact that guy or girl thats its never good to underestimate the power of a good cry.

Cups is associated with the suite of water. Water is the symbol of the subconcious mins and instincts. Cups represent the heart centered connections we have, such as attachments to people, animals, or anything that we can have an emotional response to. Cups hold water. Water is shown to represent our minds. Most of the imagery shows the cups being filled from above. The wine of life. Cups represent the good and the bad of living. Cups is most liked to see as foremost it is a representation for human love.

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:41 pm
Suite of Swords/Knives
User Image

Suite's Element= Air

Suite's Astrological Signs= Gemini, Libra, Aquarius

Keywords to describe the suite as a whole= Action, ones mental ability

Key Image= a friendly duel

Swords represent our capable mind and our mental strength. Were not talking about human emotions at all. Just brain power of the whole. This includes hwo we think, our logic skills,and the best of all Good old fashioned common sense. Swords can also be seen as agressive or rash behavior, but remember these also are conditions that start with our mind.

We see many acts of agression and violence between people and items in the suite of swords. Also people in grave misfortunes. The cards at times can become quite graphic to view, but beleieve that this is for a reason. Swords have the potential to be used to defend and protect. They can also be used for agression and possible well being. Its just like a sword is, theres two sides to every situation. Swords represent something very scary at times. Humans and what we're capable of doing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:57 am
Suite of Pentacles/Disks
User Image

Suite's Element= Earth

Suite's Astrological Signs= Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn.

Keywords to describe the suite as a whole= Money, Possessions.

Key Image= I love Gold!!!!!!!!!!!

Pentacles are our connection to the material world and to our possesive nature. They represent our stability or our lack to gain funds for items and such. They are a well rounded suite that can also point at family stability and roots. The element of Earth also shows us that this suite can also show that issues are deep seeded and not everything you see it all there is to the suite.

This suite shows your riches and prosperity for the most part. They even show up at times apon investing issues and such. These cards show up with issues of money, financial gain, investment issues and other type of financial readings. Depending on what they show up with determines wether they're good or bad.

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:17 am
The Court Cards
User Image

The court Cards may be part of the Minor Arcana but at times they can be seen as a little step up from the norm. The court cards represent people and at times some role we might be playing with the current situation in our lives. There was a site that took your personality and your Bday and told you your court cards axccording to that. I will try to find a link for it. It is a great way to distinguish wether or not thats wgat is means for you in a reading.  
DataHenge ) The Information Archives (

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games